Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Jumped a curb, need help - any body work knowledge is wanted :( :( :( :( Plz plz plz help + header

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jumped a curb, need help - any body work knowledge is wanted :( :( :( :( Plz plz plz help + header

Alright, so after running for 44 hours straight, I get a good solid 4 hours of rest, I went to sleep at 1:30, and had to wake up at 5:30 to drive my roommate to the airport. So it's like pitch black out, I'm tired, etc - we make a wrong turn someplace, it's two lane and VERY desolate, and I go to pull a U turn but for some ungodly reason I decided NOT to pull the e-brake to make it easier (just a little tug so I could cut down on the turning radius). So low and behold I was about 1.5ft short and nailed the curb, booooo. So I was thinking "omg, bumper's probably hanging" - so when we got to the airport I looked at it - though it was dark, no visible damage. Anyways, skip ahead 4 hours later when I go to leave my dorm to come back to my house. I notice that the hubcap was dented/cracked (no big deal in my book) and hte tire was scraped a little (btw I'm running steelies w/ hubs). So like 3 hours ago I jack the car up and pull off the wheel. The rim is in fine condition, just the hubcap was damaged, and the tire's outside is a litle "cut" or "torn" but it's not too bad (+ the tires are one step away from drag slicks anyways so they're going in the trash as soon as I get 'em changed for winter). So no problem there, though the curb did pull out some what appears to be the wheel well.

I took some pictures, tell me what you think. From the looks of it, it appears that I only need to replace the wheel well thing and it'll be fine (appears that it just got ripped off - no scrapes on the underside of the bumper, so it musta just cleared it).

Here's some pics, forgive me for them being bad, but the car's jacked up outside and it's kinda pitch black out right now - any additional photos can be taken, just tell me exactly what u need them of.

I'm trying to compare it to the other side but i can't figure out - it's like they're different on each side in regards to how they attach to the bumper. I went to slhondaparts.com but can't find it for the life of me. I thought it was called a wheel well, I can't find it there - maybe there's another name for it, I don't know.

Can somebody look at these pictures and tell me if I just need a new wheel well or I'm fucked or what? I figure if worse comes to worse i can always take some sheet screws or something or a drill and just use small bolts and bolt it right to it....but the wheel well looks all fucked up anyways so I'd rather just replace it (should be just screw on and off, right?).

Need to know what I have to do, looks okay if u tuck it back in there but after awhile of highway driving (high vibration) or jsut bumpy roads it comes down and hangs and looks like ****.

Please, no comments about a bad driver, etc. etc. I was tired, and mis-judged, and that was that.

Here's the pictures:

You can go here to view them all from photobucket (instead of on H-T).

Any help is thanks.

Plz admins, if a bunch of people start bashing me because they're perfect and never get into accidents and it turns into a big flame, don't lock the topic. I really want to get this fixed and need peoples' help. So any help is thanks. I'd prefer if you left out the flames, but whatever. And if somebody could tell me the price (or give me a link to it on slhondaparts.com) I'd be greatful. I might actually be able to buy one tomorrow or the next day (either junkyard or friend who if he wakes up and goes to work tomorrow can buy from him).

Help is thx, and uhh, sorry about the topic being so ******* long.

BTW: Those screws (the ones that hold the wheel well in), where can I get them (I think I'm missing a few)

While I'm here I might as well ask my tech question as well, friend gave me a header, DC 4-2-1 2pc and it's got (what I am pretty sure) is the O2 sensor hanging out of it...but it has 4 wires (pretty sure it's 2bk, 1rd, 1gr, but not sure, know it has 2 blacks) - O2 sensors on hondas have 4 wires??? Can't say I've ever changed one on a Honda before(or knew they had 4 wires) - I thought they had less. Anyways, if I go to put it on tomorrow (the ORIGINAL manifold with the heat shield is on there now) would one recommend going to a muffler shop to put it on or doing the work myself? I have the gaskets (they're metal, so that's okay), though I've never did anything with the exhaust in my driveway. Would I have to extend the wires to the new O2 location or would they reach on the current harness? And what should I do with the o2? Take it out and hold onto it is what I was thinking - then try it when my O2 dies...or extend the wires to it or something...(just g2 know what guage to use). Any help on that situation is thx.

BTW: I don't wanna hear the whole ration of **** "omg, you're putting a header on a D16, die Syndacte, you're going to hell Syndacate, you won't see an oz of hp, Syndacate - yeah whatever, you install your JDM parking poll, I wanna install a header...+ it was free, so plz fu8k off if you have to diss me like that. As you can probably tell I don't exactly have money falling out of my *******.

Alright, thank you for all helpful info in advance.

Again, I ask that admins do not lock this topic even if some ******** decide to bash me.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jumped a curb, need help - any body work knowledge is wanted :( :( :( :( Plz plz plz help + he

Body is not what you should worry about. Did it damage the suspension? How is the alignment?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Night Owl

Default Re: Jumped a curb, need help - any body work knowledge is wanted :( :( :( :( Plz plz plz help + he

A body shop should be able to patch up the fender liner for not too much. I wouldn't worry about that? Did you damage a LCA? Is the car pulling to the right or left?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These should fix you right up:

You might want to check your alignment though.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Body is not what you should worry about. Did it damage the suspension? How is the alignment?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point. I know I shouldn't be worrying about teh body - but as you can tell from the pictures, it just plain looks like **** - pure and simple. I'm not sure if my alignment is out or not. I intend to get them balanced when I buy new snows to put on it (october? november?) and they're pretty low (like ferrari tires...real low on the tread, probably unsafe won't pass inspection too low...though i'm not too concerned about that). Then when I go to put the road tires back on next spring, I intend to get a 4-wheel alignment. From what it appears, there is NO damage to teh suspension, the rim itself wasn't damaged, and the car wasn't riding any different from before it happend (I think the wheel just popped up a little when it happend). I know it might seem as though I have no justification for thinking the suspension is okay, but that little bit is all i really need :-\

Maybe I'll get the 4 wheel alignment when I get the snows on.

Anyways, About &lt;1 month ago I hit a pot hole which dented the rim. I got the tires balanced like 2 weeks ago at pep boys and they said it was definately bent, that it was moving up and down like crazy on the balance machine. Though it balanced perfectly. So I took another rim from my friend but he only put the tire on, he didn't re-balance it, so I'm sure the balance is off in that rim and can feel it a bit (I do think). Though there weren't any changes after it happend.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Night Owl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm not sure if my alignment is out or not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Does the car pull to the left or right when you let go of the steering wheel?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutupnskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A body shop should be able to patch up the fender liner for not too much. I wouldn't worry about that? Did you damage a LCA? Is the car pulling to the right or left?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't really have time for a bodyshop, and it doesn't seem like that big a deal. it's certianly a lot less than changing say...a quater panel. Sad enough to say it is unfortunetely possible that I did damage the LCA, I think there's a slight pull to the left now (not real hard, jsut if u let go of the steering wheel) though I didn't notice any difficulties or adjustments driving on the highway the whole 250 miles back down here to my house. I'm going to get an alignment and a balance in like 2 months (if that) when I put the snows on - I'll find out for sure then. If the LCA is bent, I'm SOL - I don't have money for a new one, so if it is bent I'll have to deal with the uneven wear until I get it aligned :-(. I might buy one from a junkyard if the tire place tells me it's bent during the alignment, asside from that, I'ma have to bite the bullet as far as new LCA goes.

BTW: Say the LCA is bent a little, is it possible they can still align it? I mean they should be able to adjust the toe to a small degree when they align it, no? Would it have any other neg. effects (bent LCA but perfect alignment)??

thx pple for quick responses, keep 'em coming on what I have to do about teh liner and the other things I mentioned plz to all so far.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Night Owl

Don't worry about the body work. Ziptie that corner back together and forget it. You defnitely damaged a LCA though. You will need a new LCA though as you can't repair a stretched/damaged one. If you have a 92-95 cx/lx/dx you will need a cx/dx/lx LCA. If you have a 92-95 ex/si you will need an ex/si LCA ( 94-01 DC LCA also works). If it's not pulling too hard, just wait until you can afford the new LCA and get it put on before the alignment. You will definitely notice some abnormal tire wear in the meantime though.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com if you need a new fender liner. The parts are Genuine Honda parts and i think its about $20. I ripped half of mine off when i got my swap because after the CAI was put in i guess it wasn't secure and got sucked under my tire, sucked my filter under a few months down the road too. Anyhow check it out.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Night Owl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.hondapartsdeals.com if you need a new fender liner. The parts are Genuine Honda parts and i think its about $20. I ripped half of mine off when i got my swap because after the CAI was put in i guess it wasn't secure and got sucked under my tire, sucked my filter under a few months down the road too. Anyhow check it out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

20$ for a fender liner sounds awfully cheap. A fender liner for my Integra cost around $350 new. It was around the same price for one of my friend's Accord. Oh well I could be wrong. *shrugs*
Old 09-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya , it's called a fender liner, number 5 here...30ish bucks
http://slhondaparts.com/browse...=true
and this is as far as you need to go to replace it...

just pop out the little rivet things and lay the new one up in there...replace rivets.
They unscrew to remove, just push in to replace.
The header. It is a Honda header, right? I'd attempt to remove the sensor and use mine..but I bet that bitch is tight. The 02 harness is pretty forgiving.
Looks like your tire ate up the liner somehow, it obviously sholdn't contact under normal conditions. Your suspension parts don't show any radical damage and none would be expected in this case, but maybe you could take some quick measurements with a tape from say, the spindle nut to the fender lip, etc. and compare to the Dr. side for a little peace of mind.
Get some sleep!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutupnskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

20$ for a fender liner sounds awfully cheap. A fender liner for my Integra cost around $350 new. It was around the same price for one of my friend's Accord. Oh well I could be wrong. *shrugs*</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, so zipties it is...though I still would have to drill holes in the bumper so I have something to run the ziptie through, which I'm not crazy about - but whatever. I think a piece of the fender liner is actually gone though...as in ripped off...so might need to stretch it a bit, either way I'm going to do it tomorrow when it's light out...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutupnskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't worry about the body work. Ziptie that corner back together and forget it. You defnitely damaged a LCA though. You will need a new LCA though as you can't repair a stretched/damaged one. If you have a 92-95 cx/lx/dx you will need a cx/dx/lx LCA. If you have a 92-95 ex/si you will need an ex/si LCA ( 94-01 DC LCA also works). If it's not pulling too hard, just wait until you can afford the new LCA and get it put on before the alignment. You will definitely notice some abnormal tire wear in the meantime though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well then that really ******* sucks ('95 EX), I didn't know I damaged the LCA, I was thinking maybe I just knocked it outta alignment. though if they align toe, camber, and caster to .00000 - would it still wear funny? And would I be wearing out any other pieces?

I'm not totally worried about teh fender liner - I'll either get one from a junkyard (I know a guy who hit a car head on...so all the impact's on the driver's side...though it's an LX) or n88888 rig it until I get a replacement. It's more everything else I'm worried about.

And the part that I shows in the pictures, that IS infact part of the fender liner? So the fender liner goes around the entire wheel well, then goes parallel to teh ground where it screws into teh bottom of the bumper?

If I use an LX/DX/CX/VX (whatever X) liner, would that be good? or does it need to be from an EX/SI (assuming everything's 92-95)?

Anymore help is thx - header questions? Anybody?

I'm very appreciative of teh help so far props to you all.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutupnskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

20$ for a fender liner sounds awfully cheap. A fender liner for my Integra cost around $350 new. It was around the same price for one of my friend's Accord. Oh well I could be wrong. *shrugs*</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, so zipties it is...though I still would have to drill holes in the bumper so I have something to run the ziptie through, which I'm not crazy about - but whatever. I think a piece of the fender liner is actually gone though...as in ripped off...so might need to stretch it a bit, either way I'm going to do it tomorrow when it's light out...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutupnskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't worry about the body work. Ziptie that corner back together and forget it. You defnitely damaged a LCA though. You will need a new LCA though as you can't repair a stretched/damaged one. If you have a 92-95 cx/lx/dx you will need a cx/dx/lx LCA. If you have a 92-95 ex/si you will need an ex/si LCA ( 94-01 DC LCA also works). If it's not pulling too hard, just wait until you can afford the new LCA and get it put on before the alignment. You will definitely notice some abnormal tire wear in the meantime though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well then that really ******* sucks ('95 EX), I didn't know I damaged the LCA, I was thinking maybe I just knocked it outta alignment. though if they align toe, camber, and caster to .00000 - would it still wear funny? And would I be wearing out any other pieces?

I'm not totally worried about teh fender liner - I'll either get one from a junkyard (I know a guy who hit a car head on...so all the impact's on the driver's side...though it's an LX) or n88888 rig it until I get a replacement. It's more everything else I'm worried about.

And the part that I shows in the pictures, that IS infact part of the fender liner? So the fender liner goes around the entire wheel well, then goes parallel to teh ground where it screws into teh bottom of the bumper?

If I use an LX/DX/CX/VX (whatever X) liner, would that be good? or does it need to be from an EX/SI (assuming everything's 92-95)?

I'm very appreciative of teh help so far props to you all.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Night Owl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't drill any holes in the stock bumper IMO. Just try to ghetto rig it w/ zipties/ duct-tape as best you can. For now.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what you describe it sounds like the LCA is definitely bent/stretched. If you look under your car at both LCAs, one of the (arms?) on one will be slightly stretched.
Just an alignment won't help at all. Go get a passenger side LCA from a 92-95 EX/Si. DON'T get an CX/DX/LX control arm as they are not designed the same, no front sway bar. Then get a professional alignment.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Getting the 02 sensor off on a stock header can be a hassle. Take it into a muffler shop if you're unsure.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With the exception of the first thing (zip ties) there's a problem with everythign you listed. First off, I have to drill holes to use zipties b/c the holes that are there are ripped off. Secondly, I'm broker than a pick pocket in a nudist colony!. I can't afford right now to buy a new LCA. I can't afford to take it to a muffler shop.

That's that, when I change the header it's going to be a lot of praying and a n88888 job in the parking lot of RIT - same with the liner.

As for the LCA. How will I know if it's bent or not? It could be bent but may not be visible just from looking at it? How would I know? If they can align it 100%, and I couldn't see any noticable bends in it, would it still 'cause problems? If so, either way I'll have to wait to buy a LCA so :-\
Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump* - Any additional help or comments is thx.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:05 PM

just rip it out

i havent had mine on for 2 years
Old 09-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't drill any holes in the stock bumper IMO. Just try to ghetto rig it w/ zipties/ duct-tape as best you can. For now.

From what you describe it sounds like the LCA is definitely bent/stretched. If you look under your car at both LCAs, one of the (arms?) on one will be slightly stretched.
Just an alignment won't help at all. Go get a passenger side LCA from a 92-95 EX/Si. DON'T get an CX/DX/LX control arm as they are not designed the same, no front sway bar. Then get a professional alignment.

Getting the 02 sensor off on a stock header can be a hassle. Take it into a muffler shop if you're unsure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

snap, i was just about to rip you to shreds for saying that he absolutely needed a Ex/Si LCA but i have it backwards....a CX/DX/LX/VX can get ANY lca, and the EX/Si needs a Ex/Si LCA unless not running the sway bar, i guess im just tired and i recently put JDM EG6 SiR LCA's + EX/SI sway bar on my VX good info
Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Night Owl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the LCA. How will I know if it's bent or not? It could be bent but may not be visible just from looking at it? How would I know? If they can align it 100%, and I couldn't see any noticable bends in it, would it still 'cause problems? If so, either way I'll have to wait to buy a LCA so :-\</TD></TR></TABLE>

It won't exactly be bent. The lower arm thingie that extends from the bushings will be slightly stretched. The only way to notice is to compare it with the other LCA.

Getting an alignment alone will not help if you have damaged suspension components (most likely the LCA). I don't know how better to explain this. Get the damaged component replaced, then get an alignment.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:27 AM

man just leave ur car how it is mine came off along time ago and have no intentions of putting it back on the only thing it does is keep dirt out of ur bumper and u dont even have a big whole
Old 09-17-2006, 02:29 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

i just see busted plastic bits..

I pulled all that plastic **** off ages ago anyways,
it just makes maintenence harder
Old 09-17-2006, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a daily driver, I don't do a lot of work on it. No need to pull them all out, and if they're only $32.00, I'll buy one new if I can't find one at a junkyard (which I'm sure I can) - doesn't need to be perfect, just is needed.

Not worried so much about the fender liner at this point. I'll get that replaced one way or the other, but for now, I'ma n88888 rig it w/ zip ties. As far as the suspension goes, I'm going outside right now to do measurements and see if the LCA is bent.

The car will get aligned in miid November when I put the snows on it....right now they're one step from drag radials....so I'm not too worried about uneven wear. So I'll wait until the alignment fails before I go replacing LCA's b/c I simply cannot afford it on a hunch. if they can 0 the toe, caster, and camber out in a 4 wheel alignment, I'm not going to worry about it.

As far as the header goes, I'm just going to leave it here until I get access to my friend's shop b/c I'm too affraid if something breaks like a exhaust mani stud and not being able to do anything and it being half done. So I'll wait on that, until I have all the proper tools and all.

That's my plan? Anybody object or have suggestions to it? I'll be back in a few - I'm going outside to see what I can do with the zip ties and the splash guard and take measurements from the hub nut to see if the LCA is bent.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I'm back from my half *** driveway job. I drilled a hole in the front of the fender liner (far enough from the size) and zip tied it to a heat shrinkd wire (think it's the one for the horn. So it's all tucked away now and won't fall out. This should definately hold me over until I get a new one.

Problem: there appears to be 3 screws that go through the fender liner and into the bumper, two are solid, the liner got ripped off of them, the third is ripped off <u>on the bumper side</u>. Though I don't think it's too bad, because on the bottom like I said there's three....and well as meatloaf said and made a song about "2 out of three aint bad" :-P.

Good: I measured from the hub nut to each side of the well, equal on the sides, a little longer on the top (but that's b/c it was jacked up so it was hanging). So I'm thinking <u>IF</u> the LCA is bent, it's to such a small degree that I can't see it vvisually, which is good I suppose. The wheel alignment will show it for sure, if they can 0 out the toe, camber, and caster, I'm not going to worry about it any further.

So that's a wrap I suppose. Think I just have to replace the liner and get it aligned and I'll be alright. I suppose. Any further comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thx to all.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Gary- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">These should fix you right up:

You might want to check your alignment though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1 for that. Especially being an ex 240 owner. You learn to carry them in your car when you go out for the night and slide w the boys Good ****.

You seem to have just messed up your plastic lining
Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I used 'em and zipties saved the day :-P Rigged up very nicely until it's fixed. And if it comes out my horn'll come with it so I'll have bigger problems. Though I doubt it'll come out, I tried to sprad 'em out as much as possible to disperse the pressure.

When you get on a knee and look at it from the front, you can't tell anything...so that'll be fine until I get it replaced.

Anybody know about these rivets? All I see in there that holds it on are plastic screws...which should be able to put back in...where are these rivets?

Quick Reply: Jumped a curb, need help - any body work knowledge is wanted :( :( :( :( Plz plz plz help + header