Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jump your ECU

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jump your ECU

I TRYED and LOOKED, but i cant the thing to jump my ecu. can some one help me . if theres any body in NJ who ca "really show" how to do it!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jump your ECU (wm5holla)

jump it for CEL codes or what? If it's CEL codes go here http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php
Old 05-28-2003, 05:21 AM

Default Re: jump your ECU (96BlackHB)

i have been there. but i just cant find it
Old 05-28-2003, 05:24 AM

just remove your passenger side lower kick panel. You'll see the ECU and there should be the plug you're looking for.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:57 AM

Default Re: jump your ECU (brcivic411)

mine had a big, bright green rubber cap on it...thats the one your looking for. pop it out of that and jump the wires with a paper clip...good to go.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Re: jump your ECU (2000CX)

POST a pic?
Old 05-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually its there but yournot going to find it that easily on a lot of cars on my civic and 2 other friends civic i had to remove the glove box to expose it first and then after i untangled it from the wioring harness it dropped down and i could put the glove box back on. if u remove the glove box(2 screws easy) then look behind that area right above the ecu and you will see a large bright green cap that has 2 different plugs in it. 1 is a plug with like 4 wires and th other is a small plug with only 2 wires that is the plug u want. hope that helps. remember GLOVEBOX off is easier to find it.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:21 PM

Default Re: jump your ECU (nextelbuddy)

my glove box is off
Old 05-28-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well since your glove box is off look around that bundle of wires above the ecu look hard it took me forever and i finally found it. it could be tucked away neatly somewhere and its just blending in real well. it has to be there lol.

also u never said what car u have.... for all we know this could be a celica or something.... what car and year is it?
Old 05-29-2003, 03:31 AM

Default Re: jump your ECU (nextelbuddy)

i will try! i will post a pic this week
Old 05-29-2003, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a small blue connector with places to two prongs, it is tucked inside a green protector. Its right inside (mine was slighty above) the passenger side kick panel! Good luck with it..I thought I had the wrong connector to begin with also!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Re: jump your ECU (Ricey McRicerton)

any pics, some one methat jumpin ur ECU can fry ur car..any truth to that
Old 05-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Trial User

Default Re: jump your ECU (96BlackHB)

Since you didn't click on the link above i've made it easyer for you.

CHECKING THE ECU CODES

If your CEL has illuminated, it is more helpful to know WHY it has lit up instead of just guessing at the problem... How do you find out what the error is? Well you will need a short peice of wire or a paperclip.

On the passenger side of your car, under the dash beneath the glove box, you will find a green cover above the kickpanel that houses a blue connector that has two wires.

That you need to do is turn the ignition off, and using the piece of wire or paperclip, jump the blue connector so that you connect the two wires together. Basically stick one end of the paperclip or peice of wire into one prong on the connector and stick the other end of the paperclip or wire into the other prong.

Once you have done this, turn the key to the IGN position and watch your CEL light. It will illuminate in a series of flashes.

You will notice that there will be LONG flashes and SHORT flashes. All of the ECU trouble codes are two-digits. LONG flashes determine the TENS digit by the number of times it flashes, and SHORT flashes determine the ONES digit by the number of times it flashes.

ie. LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE

is the trouble code: 34

3 LONG flashes followed by 4 short flashes, then a long pause. If that is the only code the ECU is throwing, then the code will simply repeat until you remove the key. If, however there are more than one ECU error code, then you will see a different series of flashes followed by the long pause. Once all the ECU codes have been displayed, they will continuously cycle until you remove the key.

ie. LONG-LONG-SHORT-PAUSE-LONG-LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE

is the trouble code: 21 and 43

Once you have determined the codes, you can simply remove the paperclip or wire from the connector and replace it back in the green housing.

[IMG]CHECKING THE ECU CODES

If your CEL has illuminated, it is more helpful to know WHY it has lit up instead of just guessing at the problem... How do you find out what the error is? Well you will need a short peice of wire or a paperclip.

On the passenger side of your car, under the dash beneath the glove box, you will find a green cover above the kickpanel that houses a blue connector that has two wires.

That you need to do is turn the ignition off, and using the piece of wire or paperclip, jump the blue connector so that you connect the two wires together. Basically stick one end of the paperclip or peice of wire into one prong on the connector and stick the other end of the paperclip or wire into the other prong.

Once you have done this, turn the key to the IGN position and watch your CEL light. It will illuminate in a series of flashes.

You will notice that there will be LONG flashes and SHORT flashes. All of the ECU trouble codes are two-digits. LONG flashes determine the TENS digit by the number of times it flashes, and SHORT flashes determine the ONES digit by the number of times it flashes.

ie. LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE

is the trouble code: 34

3 LONG flashes followed by 4 short flashes, then a long pause. If that is the only code the ECU is throwing, then the code will simply repeat until you remove the key. If, however there are more than one ECU error code, then you will see a different series of flashes followed by the long pause. Once all the ECU codes have been displayed, they will continuously cycle until you remove the key.

ie. LONG-LONG-SHORT-PAUSE-LONG-LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE

is the trouble code: 21 and 43

Once you have determined the codes, you can simply remove the paperclip or wire from the connector and replace it back in the green housing.

Old 05-29-2003, 10:39 AM

Default Re: jump your ECU (mantic6t9)

i have been to that link..i just cant find it
Old 05-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wm5holla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have been to that link..i just cant find it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? It's two plungs in a bright green rubber cap. It's part of a wiring harness it kinda sticks out the side of it.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Note for whatever reason my 92 hatch had a green rubber peice I was the first to use it in this car and it was way up above the kick panal next to the glove box.

And here is a odd quirk on my 95 hatch it was in a blue rubber peice. If it's not been used you have to wiggle it out of this. If not it should be hanging in there someplace. It's a bugger to find sometimes the first time. you have to litterally put the seat all the way back sit on your back on the floor and look up there.

Good luck. They all have them don't worry it's there some place keep on digging.

And for a side note sometimes paperclips are to thin to get a good contact jump on each prong. And like the display picture the wiring peice cut in the middle works the best to ensure a solid connection.

Good luck and stick to it you'll find it. And after that you will alwyas know where to look and what your looking for.

The above diagram is about as good as it gets.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:49 AM

Are you sure you are on the right side of the car knowing you your not? Its underneath the kicker panel on the passenger side of the car. Where the passengers right foot would be. Its definatly there.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Trial User

Default Re: jump your ECU (junglerunna02)

I'll go take a pic of mine for you.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Trial User

Old 05-29-2003, 11:21 AM

I used to use the service connector trick a lot until I converted to OBD-1. Now, when I jump the connector, the cel doesn't blink. It just stays illuminated. When I start the car, it takes a couple of seconds to illuminate. Is the ECU broke? Is the conversion harness a POS?

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but if you can't find it by now, you won't. Why start another thread for a similar problem? TIA
Old 05-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just one a mugen race chip from ebay anyone have advice on installation
Old 05-30-2003, 01:59 PM

i found it!! its green but i dont have the prong thing? what are the plugs for?, what purpose to they serve?
Old 05-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mantic6t9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

there has to be <FONT SIZE="2"> SOME </FONT> part of yer car thats even remotely dirty!

nice picture, really informative.. yer car is too damn clean