Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

J's racing Intake, will it fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J's racing Intake, will it fit

Will this fit my Y8 manifold?? since its made for the B16 and B18...??? I'm not sure on the size of the B series TB...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:31 PM

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (Irishweird00)

dont know if it will fit but kind of useless because the air flow is still restricked to the outlet size to the TB. But i could be wrong
Old 03-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Banned

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (lsvinny)

yeah, your wrong
Old 03-25-2003, 04:39 PM

yea ur definately wrong...its one of the best intakes i have seen yet to date. note i said one of the best...not the best
Old 03-25-2003, 05:03 PM

it should fit.... i think the d-series is 56mm and the b16 is 58.5mm -- whatever the actual sizes are, it's very close.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:13 PM

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (JDM B-Series)

60mm 58mm is the first gen of b16
Old 03-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (Lysawy)

just get a b16 or gsr TB to go with it
Old 03-26-2003, 03:24 AM

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (kommon_sense)

two things: way is it one of the best? Because it says racing on it, or because it has few bends. you can`t get any more air in to it if it sits in the motor bay, if you force more air into the motor it works better, but the only way you can get more air into it is to get the air from out side the car. last thing: take a straw suck though it works nice now take a pen cap and put it on the end of the straw and suck though it, its a little harder to get air into the straw, right?
Old 03-26-2003, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (delslow94)

yea ur definately wrong...its one of the best intakes i have seen yet to date. note i said one of the best...not the best
..soo...what is the best?
Old 03-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it should fit. i have the knock off of it in my car (im too cheap for the real deal)
Old 03-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

two things: way is it one of the best? Because it says racing on it, or because it has few bends. you can`t get any more air in to it if it sits in the motor bay, if you force more air into the motor it works better, but the only way you can get more air into it is to get the air from out side the car. last thing: take a straw suck though it works nice now take a pen cap and put it on the end of the straw and suck though it, its a little harder to get air into the straw, right?
valid points, but don't forget that the engine sucks air through the intake. Also the shape of the intake can help accelerate air flow. I don't know if this intake is any good, or just the latest fad. Just makin comments regarding your post.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WHOA...where to start with this guy. If you study fluid mechanics for a while, you will know that this is the best design for a short ram intake. The design with the larger diameter to smaller diameter actually helps to accelerate the air into the throttle body and intake manifold. And where do you get this idea that the only way to get more air is from outside the car? Do you believe that there is a vaccum under your hood? cuz you do know that you can see "the outside of the car" from the engine bay. When i was at SEMA, i spoke with the engineer there and I asked him why they didnt use a tapered design. He went through some discussion about how their design using a constant diameter worked for them and thats how they got the power they got, he did however also mention that they do not have the capability to make a tapered design using the aluminum tubing. As far as air temps inside the bay and outside the vehicle... The placement is the key. One of the main purposes of the cold air intake is yes to get a few degrees colder air, but more to use a longer tube to accelerate the flow as it goes into the manifold. You see the faster the air enters the manifold, the more air can go in, also this causes the fuel to be vaporized more which helps it to burn more efficently. as for the placement of a short ram, as long as it is a decent length away from the engine (approx where the stock air box is) the air that it draws is not much hotter for most applications than the air from a cold air intake.
and im not so sure i understand your straw analogy. but these are the reasons that it is one of the best intakes... OHHHHHHHHH also, the carbon fiber or plastic that its made of (j's racing makes one with both materials) resists temperature changes.
ok thats all for now
Old 03-26-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (BigZ88)

so anyways, all this talk and no dyno sheets or anything.
ive been silent this whole time, trying to figure out if this intake is any good.
and if it is so, i just might purchase it.

anyone got any hp gain figures from dyno sheets??
Old 03-26-2003, 08:55 AM

hahaha, one fluid dynamics class and you go around preying on the younger... simply amazing..... however i think what you said was mostly correct, i only skimmed it
Old 03-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (munscher)

2 Sir...2 don't forget intro

and i have never seen dyno sheets for someone just having an intake. There are some comparing AEM, Iceman, and Injen, but havent seen anything including this style
Old 03-26-2003, 09:30 AM
Banned

from what i have gathered about the intake itself, is that it increases throttle response greatly, just that fact alone i would buy it, but it is suppose to gain alot in mid range power, and some high end. It's pricey, i know that. 260 is the cheapest i have found. some much higher. But it is suppose to be a high quality product, and i have not heard anything bad about it yet.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's been a few that were dyno'd in the TypeR forum. Some said it improved power in the midrange, as well as greatly increased throttle response, but others hated on it, because of it's looks .

Kinda funny to see so much info nowadays about this style of intake. Hideo Tamitaka, R&D for Greddy used to own a shop in San Diego called Eurox, and he designed one of these for a my friends car back in 92! He had another design similar to the J's Racing intake, with the filter placed in the front bumper, and it seemed to make a lot of midrange power.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:13 AM
official honda whore

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (rodrez)

ha ha, i had a konig intake back in the day that looked just like that, everyone ragged on me cuz how it looked, and now ppl actually are gettin back into them??? the only thing i didnt like about it was the filter, its not like any filter will fit on it, ya hafta special order em and there expensive as hell,
Old 03-26-2003, 11:26 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (DV98CVC)

..soo...what is the best?
ya so what is the best
Old 03-26-2003, 11:33 AM

Default Re: J's racing Intake, will it fit (coptzer)

just something to think about. Look at a pro stock how do they get more air in to the motor they force it in at the hood at 180 mph, how dose nascar get it in they force it in at the window at 190 mph, there are a few ways to get more air into the motor run your air intake out the front end or get a bigger TB. If it was that simple to run a big fat *** pipe to your TB then way not just put a fillter on the end of your TB and call it a day!
Old 03-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it was that simple to run a big fat *** pipe to your TB then way not just put a fillter on the end of your TB and call it a day!
Cause it would suck in hot air from the motor. That's why the filter on a stick combo's put the filter towards the front corner of the motor where the stock one sits, and the CAI's put it completely away from the motor
Old 03-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just something to think about. Look at a pro stock how do they get more air in to the motor they force it in at the hood at 180 mph, how dose nascar get it in they force it in at the window at 190 mph, there are a few ways to get more air into the motor run your air intake out the front end or get a bigger TB. If it was that simple to run a big fat *** pipe to your TB then way not just put a fillter on the end of your TB and call it a day!
did you read my post at all? Did you not see the ideas of ACCELERATING the flow of the air. Now, if we simply put a filter on the TB, then we would have neither a change in diameter or a length of pipe to accelerate the flow as we do in the cold air or the j's racing or to an extent in a short ram. you are semi correct about a ram air style system. but unfortunately those are very large displacement motors creating a lot of power. Now, people have done similar things with hondas, but usually the do not use a filter and are race only applications. If you look at the ram air system on the trans-am you will notice the nostrils placed very close to the front of the hood. This is a high pressure air zone and consequently takes in a good bit of air at speed. And when i say at speed, i do not mean daily driving speeds. This is mostly a looks type thing. No more effective than using a cold air intake on these vehicles. As a matter of fact the ram air system on a camaro ss is less efecient than a cold air system.
Now, I am not claiming to be an expert and this is all theory that i have learned through my study of fluid dynamics. But if you would actually READ the posts you might understand why you are completely wrong. thanks
Old 03-26-2003, 11:54 AM

then why not put that pices of **** tornado things in there and yes i did read your post and i dont care what your book says your not helping the motor get more air just bacause you heve a fat *** tube that was my point in the first place did you read my post?
Old 03-26-2003, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then why not put that pices of **** tornado things in there and yes i did read your post and i dont care what your book says your not helping the motor get more air just bacause you heve a fat *** tube that was my point in the first place did you read my post?
you dont put the tornado in there because it RESTRICTS THE FLOW. and yes i read your post of course i did. Do you not understand that with better flow characteristics, such as higher flow rate, that there will be more air entering the manifold every time the TB opens? Are you just that ignorant? if you dont want to understand things, then dont bother coming and posting on a TECHNICAL board. I mean do what ever the heck u want with your car, but intakes of all sorts benefit many people.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:39 PM

ok, if your so ****** book smart lets see some flow numbers! The TB will only let so much in unless you get a bigger TB, OR FORCE THE AIR IN. putting a big *** tube and then bring it back down to the size of the TB with out forcing it in is not doing **** . the only thing that air intake has going for its self is there are no sharp bends.

Quick Reply: J's racing Intake, will it fit