Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Journal Codes?(searched)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rods All Mixed Up-Journal Codes?(searched)

Okay, so I replaced the rods for my pistons and I took them to the machine shop to get them pressed. However, when they were at the machine shop they got all mixed up and I don't remember which number each one is. The motor is a B16A2 with all stock internals. Two of the rods have a 2 on them and the other two have a 3. The journal codes on the crank that I can figure out are from 1-4 B B C B. I don't have a Helms or Haynes, only a crappy Chilton's so can someone please give me a hand here so I can finally put this motor back together? Thanks.

Modified by Kyoh at 11:34 PM 9/5/2007
Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Journal Codes?(searched) (Kyoh)

Best I could get. Honda files are PDF files and a little hard to cut copy paste.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Journal Codes?(searched) (IMALLSLO)

Dude, you're the ****! Thanks so much.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No sweat,good luck
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so I took out all the original bearings and none of them have color on them so I still don't know what to do. The diagram seems useless now. Any suggestions? Please...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so I think I figured out two of them. Three of the bearings were the same and one of the 2's was the different one. So I figured cylinder 1 - B3, cylndr 2 - B2, cylndr 3 - C2, and cylndr 4 - B3. Now my only concern is that i have the two B3's mixed up, any way to decifer which one is cyldr1 and which is cyldr4?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kyoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so I think I figured out two of them. Three of the bearings were the same and one of the 2's was the different one. So I figured cylinder 1 - B3, cylndr 2 - B2, cylndr 3 - C2, and cylndr 4 - B3. Now my only concern is that i have the two B3's mixed up, any way to decifer which one is cyldr1 and which is cyldr4? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude.. You are worrying WAY too much.

First off, the codes aren't as hard to read as you are making them out to be. One letter, one number. Its not going to matter if you mixed up the rods and get #4 on the #1 journal. Simply use the new codes and it will tell you what bearing color to use. 9 times out of 10 its going to be a green or a brown...

Second, you are still going to clearance the bearings.. so even if you did get the codes off slightly its going to show up in the clearancing if its off that much. Remember, your not just going to select some colors, toss them in and run it.. You need to check the clearances also before running it. Again, 9 times out of 10 its going to call for either Greens or Browns... Occasionally yellows.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Journal Codes?(searched) (Hybrid96EK)

But I bought ACL race bearings and none of them are colored. They are all the same. So if it doesn't matter that i get the rods mixed up, will my clearances be all jacked?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, are you building this engine yourself. Nothing wrong with that but make sure you know what your doing.

the color codes, that come with honda's oem bearings are the clearances, acl's however are the standard size, one size fits all deal. Before you make a choice you need to measure the bearing clearances.

This can be done very easily with simple tools, or you can plasti gauge them, but a combo of both is best. Then with your clearances mapped out you can get the right bearing.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Journal Codes?(searched) (LumpyTheGrumpyCamshaft)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LumpyTheGrumpyCamshaft &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, are you building this engine yourself. Nothing wrong with that but make sure you know what your doing.

the color codes, that come with honda's oem bearings are the clearances, acl's however are the standard size, one size fits all deal. Before you make a choice you need to measure the bearing clearances.

This can be done very easily with simple tools, or you can plasti gauge them, but a combo of both is best. Then with your clearances mapped out you can get the right bearing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said. Acl's are standard size. Plastigage is a must. You can throw out the diagram now because it will no longer help. Ill try and get you clearances later tonight
Old 09-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should have gotten ACL STD bearings, not the race ones.

"Color" is just a code, theyre not actually different pigments.

Here's the oem bearing chart/thread (just in case you were curious): https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=715490

Chances are, your acl bearings are considered green bearings (they will probably spec out to that anyways.)
Hit up the parts store and buy a strip of plastigauge (GREEN) and measure the clearance for each journal.
How you do that is shown here:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=765604
You just clean the journals, install the bearings with a bit of plastigauge, clamp down the caps to spec, remove, measure plastigauge.
If its within spec, youre ok. If it isnt, you need different bearings.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Journal Codes?(searched) (LumpyTheGrumpyCamshaft)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LumpyTheGrumpyCamshaft &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, are you building this engine yourself. Nothing wrong with that but make sure you know what your doing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, yeah. I'm pretty sure i knew exactly what i was doing before the machine shop mixed everything up. This topic is only about trying to figure out what rod goes where. I am forced to use the bearings to try and decifer which goes where. So don't talk down to me fool, learn about the topics you're posting in, aight?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kyoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh, yeah. I'm pretty sure i knew exactly what i was doing before the machine shop mixed everything up. This topic is only about trying to figure out what rod goes where. I am forced to use the bearings to try and decifer which goes where. So don't talk down to me fool, learn about the topics you're posting in, aight? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Please... FORGET ABOUT THIS WHOLE "THEY MIXED IT UP" CRAP. Please. Your doing nothing more then confusing the hell out of yourself. You can put rod #1 in the #4 spot and not a damn thing is going to happen. Its not going to blow up, the engine could care less. You never specified that you bought ACL's either. You just asked about the codes, which are WORTHLESS with the ACL bearings. Clean the journals very well, put the bearings in. Don't touch them either or try to avoid it. Clearance them, if in spec clean the plastigauge out, assembly lube then torque the caps on and be done. Its that easy. Forget about the "mixed up" crap. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Now go clearance the bearings.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's all you had to tell me. Thank you. All the clearances are within spec. Just finished assembling the bottom end. That's all I was worried about, mixing them up, if someone would have just told me earlier that it didn't matter as long as the bearings are spec than I probably wouldn't have flipped out.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kyoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's all you had to tell me. Thank you. All the clearances are within spec. Just finished assembling the bottom end. That's all I was worried about, mixing them up, if someone would have just told me earlier that it didn't matter as long as the bearings are spec than I probably wouldn't have flipped out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

In my previous post...

"Its not going to matter if you mixed up the rods and get #4 on the #1 journal"
Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right, I guess in my moment of franticness I missed that valuable piece of information. Thanks for the parts though, dude. And sorry I'm such a hand full.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kyoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're right, I guess in my moment of franticness I missed that valuable piece of information. Thanks for the parts though, dude. And sorry I'm such a hand full. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its alright. Just was wondering for a minute there why you missed it
Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kyoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh, yeah. I'm pretty sure i knew exactly what i was doing before the machine shop mixed everything up. This topic is only about trying to figure out what rod goes where. I am forced to use the bearings to try and decifer which goes where. So don't talk down to me fool, learn about the topics you're posting in, aight? </TD></TR></TABLE>

"aight"