Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM or USDM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM or USDM?

I was talkin to a buddy and he said that JDM motors were weaker than the USDM, is this true? I always believed that the JDM motors were built very well... i may be mistaken...
Old 12-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM or USDM? (92SiBlu)

if its the same motor... it would generally be the same build. the ECU's maybe different.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I can see from charts and heresay on HT, the only difference is the compression ratio, which seems to increase polution output, hence why US doesnt have it. But then again Im no expert, so wait for someone more informed or search on those two differences.

I do know the compression ratio is different on them though. (IE... more power) but if you are modding, what does it matter, you can bump up compression yourself.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All a matter of what you want, what you're putting it in, and what you're plans are for modding it. Personally, I'd go JDM for NA, and USDM for boost due to the compression issues. Japan is lucky, the have 100 octane available everywhere!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 06:48 AM

Default Re: JDM or USDM? (vsm97lsvtecnit)

more than likely he would drop the compression if he was boosting anyways, even in USDM.. its not that big of a difference... silly 04..........
Old 12-15-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Re: JDM or USDM? (CooBlueDAB)

who do you trust more.....american workers or japanese?

Old 12-15-2004, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM or USDM? (Del_Slowest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who do you trust more.....american workers or japanese?</TD></TR></TABLE>
that depends on whats the job.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who do you trust more.....american workers or japanese?</TD></TR></TABLE>
considering all engines were made in the same plant, thats a great argument.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only difference is the compression ratio, which seems to increase polution output, hence why US doesnt have it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes and no, yes the compression is higher because the japanese get a gasoline that is a higher octane rating. not because higher compression increases emissions. emissions is relative to how clean an engine runs.

internally JDM and USDM engines are NEARLY identical, the JDM engines are usually .2 compression higher wich equates to a couple horsepower but nothing else.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:26 AM

Default Re: JDM or USDM? (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
considering all engines were made in the same plant, thats a great argument.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

really? so all the engines are made here in ohio at the anna engine plant? not only does honda make engines in the US ( HAM ) but they also make them in the UK and in Japan and lord knows there else. You sir are a dumbass
Old 12-15-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Re: JDM or USDM? (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes and no, yes the compression is higher because the japanese get a gasoline that is a higher octane rating. not because higher compression increases emissions. emissions is relative to how clean an engine runs.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

which octane rating do they run on? i'm not exactly sure to tell the truth.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:33 AM

I recomend going usdm, heard alot of problems with jdm not running right. Just imagine that you ran 100 octane in your car everyday, what do you think the inside would look like? Unless you get a jdm and rebuild it, it's crap...my .o2
Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really? so all the engines are made here in ohio at the anna engine plant? not only does honda make engines in the US ( HAM ) but they also make them in the UK and in Japan and lord knows there else. You sir are a dumbass </TD></TR></TABLE>
the point i was trying to make is a B16 is made in 1 plant. the D16 is made in another. etc. if i was informed incorrectly i apologize but someone who works for honda corporate told me this. so **** you
Old 12-15-2004, 07:53 AM

Default Re: JDM or USDM? (Lee_Delso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lee_Delso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recomend going usdm, heard alot of problems with jdm not running right. Just imagine that you ran 100 octane in your car everyday, what do you think the inside would look like? Unless you get a jdm and rebuild it, it's crap...my .o2</TD></TR></TABLE>
so what's the inside of the jdm motor would look like with 100 octane ran thru it?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which octane rating do they run on? i'm not exactly sure to tell the truth.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you call me a dumbass then ask what octane the japanese get? boy are you bipolar? their gas rating system is a little different i belive the highest they can get at the pump equates around our 94 or 95 octane. but i might be wrong on this. only hearsay.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really? so all the engines are made here in ohio at the anna engine plant? not only does honda make engines in the US ( HAM ) but they also make them in the UK and in Japan and lord knows there else. You sir are a dumbass </TD></TR></TABLE>

Shut the **** up. I'm not in the mood today.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so what's the inside of the jdm motor would look like with 100 octane ran thru it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I ran 2 gallons of 100 octane in my d16y8, and it still runs just fine.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:19 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lee_Delso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Just imagine that you ran 100 octane in your car everyday, what do you think the inside would look like? Unless you get a jdm and rebuild it, it's crap...my .o2</TD></TR></TABLE>

You my friend need to do some reading as it's obvious that you don't understand what octane is or does. In a nut shell it raises the ignition point of gasoline making it harder to ignite. This allows an engine to run more compression, boost or ignition timing, all things that can cause the fuel to ignite prematurely and cause detonation. Octane doesn't give an engine more power it simply allows it to make more power by preventing the fuel from igniting before it's supposed to.

JDM motors tended to run more compression than USDM engines because they have better fuel over there than we do here. Raising the compression ratio makes an engine more thermally efficient and cleaner burning but will raise the amount of NO2's being emitted.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lee_Delso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recomend going usdm, heard alot of problems with jdm not running right. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This has more to do with the way the JDM engine was installed rather than any other factor. JDM engines are everybit as good as USDM engines in build quality, It's already been studied and proven that the American factories that produce Honda product are equal to their counterparts in Japan. This is more due to the company philosophy compared to domestic manufacturing philosophies, rather than worker skill or ability.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: JDM or USDM? (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This has more to do with the way the JDM engine was installed rather than any other factor. JDM engines are verybit as good as USDM engines in build quality, It's already been studied and proven that the American factories that produce Honda product are equal to their counterparts in Japan. This is more due to the company philosophy compared to domestic manufacturing philosophies, rather that worker skill or ability.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sayin one is better than another, just that when people drop in a jdm motor they expect it to run perfect and the fact that all the sensor's are different in some ways and if they don't get it corrected, it will run sh*tty.