Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jdm steering wheel install -- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm steering wheel install -- HELP

ok, i got my stock wheel and airbag off (thanks to the nifty search button), but i have a question..

there's a little harness coming out by the shaft with two yellow plugs on it.. one for the airbag and one for the horn im guessing? what do i do with these? the new wheel wont fit on with these plugs in the way..

please advise! my car is steering wheel-less until i get a reply
Old 01-11-2003, 06:48 PM

Default Re: jdm steering wheel install -- HELP (slohnda)

there's a little harness coming out by the shaft with two yellow plugs on it.. one for the airbag and one for the horn im guessing? what do i do with these? the new wheel wont fit on with these plugs in the way..
We need more details.

Do you have a JDM airbag wheel?

What year civic do you have?

Presumably, these plugs are for horn and airbag, but we need to know more details before we can advise you.

Shawn
Old 01-11-2003, 06:49 PM

Default Re: jdm steering wheel install -- HELP (shawnhayes)

apologies!

92 Civic CX, JDM wheel w/ no airbag.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:57 PM

Ok, I have NOT installed a non-airbag wheel on a 92, but I can tell you about the car portions:

Out of the "cable reel assembly", there are three little plugs - one that goes to the airbag (three pin), one that goes to a little circuit board in the "cruise control" area, and then one pin one wire connector that goes to the horn.

My presumption is that you will want to leave the cable reel in with the non-airbag wheel.

If you can arrange that (I bet you can), then you will need to remove the circuit board from the "cruise control" portion of the wheel (the CX wheel has a little black box where this circuit board lives), and attatch the ONE pin to the horn output of your new wheel. Leave the airbag connector detatched. You will have to disable the SRS warning light unless you like driving with it on.

I have installed a JDM airbag wheel, and cannot confirm ALL of this info, but I bet it will help.

Shawn
Old 01-11-2003, 07:12 PM

i appreciate your responses, shawn!

but i do not see a way to fit the cable reel in with the non-airbag wheel. there is no opening to fit it in there at all. the car is also not equipped with cruise control. there is the airbag connector, and then a flat yellow connector with the one pin horn wire coming out of that. is removing the cable reel not an option? i cant see a way to pop it out. do i need to remove the column? thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:40 PM

cut it off
Old 01-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Trial User

Default Re: jdm steering wheel install -- HELP (battlecat187)

i thought you trashed then and there was a new harness/ wires for the JDM horn???
Old 01-12-2003, 06:42 AM

ok, i cut it..

i must be stupid or something. everyone told me this was a 20 minute job, but i keep running into snags.

the shaft isnt long enough. it doesnt come through the new wheel at all.. its sunk back in the wheel a little, even when i have someone pushing down on the wheel. what's the deal?
Old 01-12-2003, 06:44 AM

PUT THE OLD ONE BACK ON.

No one cares if it's a JDM wheel. Buy one WITH airbag.

You are a dumbass if you put a wheel on with no airbag.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm steering wheel install -- HELP (jin_)

You will need to remove the cable reel (held on by 4 screws) and unplug that.
Your signals will still work but you will have no horn. Someone did a how-to here
awhile back on how to make your horn work. They had pics and honda part numbers.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:27 AM

but i do not see a way to fit the cable reel in with the non-airbag wheel. there is no opening to fit it in there at all.
That's unfortunate.

the car is also not equipped with cruise control. there is the airbag connector, and then a flat yellow connector with the one pin horn wire coming out of that.
Despite not having cruise control, all 1992 Civics have a small circuit that plugs into the cruise control area (it's in the cruise control box - the other small connector that comes from the cable reel) - without this, even the JDM airbag wheels cannot trigger the horn as the circuit will not be complete without it. It must be removed and placed inside the hub to work properly (but, of course, this applies only to JDM non-cruise control wheels)

is removing the cable reel not an option? i cant see a way to pop it out. do i need to remove the column? thanks in advance!
The cable reel can be unplugged and disconnected, but the horn connection is in that connector, and my wiring diagrams don't easily give up which wire/connector it is. Sorry - can't help you if you have to remove the cable reel (haven't done that)

Shawn
Old 01-13-2003, 11:43 PM

How about JDM wheel swap on a JDM car -- I'm assuming this is plug and play? No wire cutting/splicing etc.?
Old 01-14-2003, 01:43 PM

Default Re: jdm steering wheel install -- HELP (ckkl)

How about JDM wheel swap on a JDM car -- I'm assuming this is plug and play? No wire cutting/splicing etc.?
Good question. Any speculation into that issue would require knowing the JDM cars model and year, and the wheels model and year.

Shawn
Old 01-14-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Re: jdm steering wheel install -- HELP (HOND PWR)

You will need to remove the cable reel (held on by 4 screws) and unplug that.
Your signals will still work but you will have no horn. Someone did a how-to here
awhile back on how to make your horn work. They had pics and honda part numbers.
Yeah just unscrew the cable reel, the JDM one will not fit unless its taken off. To get to the screws u have to unscrew the column first. There are two screws on the bottom, after unscrewing those just pull the two pieces apart, it should pop rite off.

To unscrew the column, you will need a special type of screw driver, i forgot what they're called, they're the star looking ones.

[Modified by starang, 4:03 PM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm steering wheel install -- HELP (starang)

torx maybe?
Old 01-14-2003, 08:01 PM

Good question. Any speculation into that issue would require knowing the JDM cars model and year, and the wheels model and year.

Shawn
Ok, more specifically, EG6 SiR and DC2R (no airbag in either)...
Does anyone know if the steering wheels mount identically? i.e. has anyone compared both wheels?

The spline size is identical, but not sure about the wiring, given all these issues with American cars and JDM wheels...
Old 01-16-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: jdm steering wheel install -- HELP (ckkl)

Ok, more specifically, EG6 SiR and DC2R (no airbag in either)...
Does anyone know if the steering wheels mount identically? i.e. has anyone compared both wheels?

The spline size is identical, but not sure about the wiring, given all these issues with American cars and JDM wheels...
Based on previous experience with JDM airbag DC2 and USDM airbag EH3, my bet is that it'll work.

Shawn
Old 01-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ive done this.....its not exactly a 20min job, the airbag harnesses are a bitch.

the round white piece w/ the yellow stickers need to come off, theres a clip type thing in the middle just pull that off. then that should expose screws i believe. just unscrew those. i cont remember exactly each thing. but all u need to accomplish is tryin to get the yellow SRS wiring out. the harness connection is onthe underside of the steering column i believe, take off the bottom plastic piece to get to it. once u have the SRS wiring out the steering wheel will go on. make sure its lined up and to screw the 2 to screws use a phillips drill bit by hand and tur the steeing wheel for more access he screws. youll get what imena when u are doin it. good luck

oh and the horn is a small slip type connection, it shouldnt be hard to notice