Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM SIR EG cluster question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM SIR EG cluster question...

I just got my jdm sir eg cluster today from japan and installed it. What I noticed is that the U.S harness has 4 clips and the jdm cluster has three openings. The two main openings (big clips) fit onto the U.S big clips but the two U.S small clips have no where to go. The third opening on the jdm cluster is on the side of this lump on the back of the cluster, which a U.S spec cluster also does not have, besides that, the opening is a completely different size than both the U.S harnesses left over. Now everything seems to work fine, as in the gauges and tach, but I'm still worried about the two leftover unattached harnesses. Does anyone know what they are for? They are the two small ones. There is a slight problem though, and I think one of the clips were for this, the amber light on the cluster is very dim and my dimmer switch does not brighten or dim the cluster. Is there any way to fix this? I have to squint to see the fuel and temp gauge. The speedometer and tach are fine though. By the way, here is a pic of my new tach http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT ...
Old 01-28-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: JDM SIR EG cluster question... (eGeeHaTcH)

What model civic. The extra plugs could be for the door sensors if you have a hatch.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM SIR EG cluster question... (_BEN_)

the two extra clips could be for low gas light and something else. My gas light doesnt come on. wow you paid 101 plus 35 shippping for it? I paid 35 US dollars in my country for mine
Old 01-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: JDM SIR EG cluster question... (Ronin EG6)

The third plug on the JDM cluster in the door indicator, which we don't have. The two extra plugs on the USDM cluster are SRS and cruise control (if you have an Si) OR automatic gear indicator (if your hatch is auto). You might have a burnt bulb over the gas/temp gauges. When I received mine, it had two burnt bulbs.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: JDM SIR EG cluster question... (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ronin EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the two extra clips could be for low gas light and something else. My gas light doesnt come on. wow you paid 101 plus 35 shippping for it? I paid 35 US dollars in my country for mine </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, you got a deal!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The third plug on the JDM cluster in the door indicator, which we don't have. The two extra plugs on the USDM cluster are SRS and cruise control (if you have an Si) OR automatic gear indicator (if your hatch is auto). You might have a burnt bulb over the gas/temp gauges. When I received mine, it had two burnt bulbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that you mention that, I realize that the door picture doesnt light up. Is there any way to get them to work? I have a CX so no cruise control. I'll check out the bulbs as well...

Thanks for everyone's quick response!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eGeeHaTcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, you got a deal!

Now that you mention that, I realize that the door picture doesnt light up. Is there any way to get them to work? I have a CX so no cruise control. I'll check out the bulbs as well...

Thanks for everyone's quick response! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think it's possible to hook one up easily. The other 4th plug on your USDM cluster is most likely your automatic gear indicator. The only other 4th plug it could be is ABS, but your car isn't equipped with ABS.

EDIT: Assuming your car is 5-spd, I don't understnad why you would have a gear indicator. I know the EK EXs has an ABS plug taped to the harness even though it may not be equipped with it.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:48 PM

yeah i really doubt its an automatic gear indicator... when i had the usdm cluster, the harness was hooked up to the cluster, so it served a purpose. could it be for the upshift light? i had an upshift light that worked with my stock ecu, but the light didnt work anymore since i did a swap.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What color is the plug? I would think the shift light is part of the main plug.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Have you tried removed the copper and blue flaps/plates on the bottom-middle of your jdm cluster? That is where the yellow and green plugs go from what I remember. On the copper, it looks like there is only once screw there. Peel it back and see if thats it.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What color is the plug? I would think the shift light is part of the main plug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm maybe it is part of the main plug... the two little plugs are yellow and i believe white or gray
Old 01-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: JDM SIR EG cluster question... (Sasebonian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sasebonian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tried removed the copper and blue flaps/plates on the bottom-middle of your jdm cluster? That is where the yellow and green plugs go from what I remember. On the copper, it looks like there is only once screw there. Peel it back and see if thats it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haven't tried this yet... i dont even really know what you are talking about... i'll check it out tomorrow
Old 01-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM SIR EG cluster question... (Sasebonian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sasebonian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tried removed the copper and blue flaps/plates on the bottom-middle of your jdm cluster? That is where the yellow and green plugs go from what I remember. On the copper, it looks like there is only once screw there. Peel it back and see if thats it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The JDM cluster doesnt have an SRS plug.

eGeeHaTcH, your cluster is fine, leave it alone.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its fine my Ferio cluster has the same spots,and I only plugged in the two side ones.
The other plug is for a TCS light.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: JDM SIR EG cluster question... (Skip01)

ok.... it does seem to work fine, i'll just take it out to check out the bulbs. thanks for all the input