Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM SiR Cluster issues regarding cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JDM SiR Cluster issues regarding cracking?

Ok I purchased a JDM SiR cluster a while back. Since i got it i had an issue with it. the problem was that one of the bulb sockets seemed to have burned together with the bulb. Therefore causing it to crumble. And that one bulb wouldnt sta in the hole. I managed to play with the hole buy adding a gang of tape to make presure against socket so it stays in place. Worked perfectly till today. When i had to remove the crap again to find it burned up more. I added tape again and its cool. But my main concern is finding a solution to this.

i was thinking maybe changing the JDM gauges into a USDM housing so i can have a perfectly working cluster holes i guess. Or maybe use a socket that has wires from it and hook it up to another bulb so it gets power and maybe i can glue it....so that i dont have to keep repairing it.

Has anyone else had this damm issue?? Sorry for the long post but i wanted to explain my situation. I have all JDM interior and dont want to go back to a usdm cluster or have to purchase another damm cluster and maybe have the same issue again.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JDM SiR Cluster issues regarding cracking?

actully yes i have the same problem rite now with the spot for the top speedometer light bulb u can swap it all into the usdm back plate also do u kno where i can get the white face speedo mine has a black one and the other 2 are white it pisses me off
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can try ebay to gind the white speedo. Or ill ask my Shop if they have a extra. And yeah my problem is also the top bulb of the speedo. Kind of gay.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Hm, yeah I have seen that the top bulb sometimes browns the surrounding plastic and circuit board. Anyway, if you want to fix it a little bit longer, then I suggest trying the kind of thing I've done in my write-up here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bdiy%5D-honda-civic-92-95-jdm-door-open-gauge-cluster-indicator-light-install-2714075/ Scroll down part-way to the section titled "Installation Instructions" ... there I describe how to swap the circuit board.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
You can try ebay to gind the white speedo. Or ill ask my Shop if they have a extra. And yeah my problem is also the top bulb of the speedo. Kind of gay.
that would be awesome i cant find one anywhere n it would be stupid to buy a whole new cluster lust for that one piece
Old 02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Hm, yeah I have seen that the top bulb sometimes browns the surrounding plastic and circuit board. Anyway, if you want to fix it a little bit longer, then I suggest trying the kind of thing I've done in my write-up here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2714075 Scroll down part-way to the section titled "Installation Instructions" ... there I describe how to swap the circuit board.
well I went thru ur thread. Nice by the way. But have one doubt. U switched circuit boards. I want to change housings. As in putting my Jdm gauges/meters into a usdm housing. because the top bulb hole got bigger and the circuit board is ripped a little. So wether i use the usdm or Jdm circuit board in the usdm housing will it work?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Well, effectively they are the same thing, aren't they? I switched circuit boards JDM <-> CDM/USDM .... but isn't that the same thing as saying I switched housings JDM <-> CDM/USDM ? Since the USDM circuit board is now on the JDM housing and the JDM circuit board is now on the USDM housing. Q.E.D.

I swapped around the speedo and fuel/temp gauge, too, don't forget.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Wait ... I think I see what exactly you're getting at, now .... so you want to swap the gauges into a USDM housing, right.

The ONLY thing I see different about the USDM vs. the JDM circuit board (aside from the ability to use the dimmer w/ USDM) is that there is a diode near the indicator light for the battery... I'm not quite sure what this is for, but it shouldn't affect operation of the cluster. All the connection points are the same for USDM and JDM gauges ... so, you have the all-clear.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. The extra hole near the oil light not battery light is for the catalytic. Cant remember exact name. I will be keeping my gauges and gauge bezel for the usdm one. Wether its ex or dx cluster don't matter right? Since its cheaper to find a dx cluster for the surgical procedure......lol.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Not extra hole, I said extra DIODE. I know what a diode does (one-way electrical traffic) but I'm not sure what its purpose is here. Look, you can see it in the photo here, at centre-left.

JDM BROWN (Auto) circuit board:

CDM/USDM circuit board:

The diode you see on this board on the right is for the trunk-open indicator. (The JDM circuit board above has the trunk-open indicator in the car symbol in the tach, so it is not needed there.)

And, finally, you'll want a USDM housing that also has the tach -- 'cause the tach & non-tach housings are totally different! You should look for someone selling a broken one to save a few $.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. How about manual vs auto? And do they light up brighter with the. Dimmer function?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
Ok. How about manual vs auto?
Yes, good idea! These are usually quite cheap.

And do they light up brighter with the. Dimmer function?
No, max brightness will be the same as what you saw beforehand.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Yes, good idea! These are usually quite cheap.

No, max brightness will be the same as what you saw beforehand.
Well thats gay...cuz then my ambered bulb climate control will outlight my cluster. Because i would have to set it to max to get my cluster to light up the same as before and my climate will be brighter. So auto or manual its the same? Maybe ill just keep my JDM circuit board so i dont use the dimmer. Since its the same. Its a little bit ripped but im sure i can glue it through the back some how and get it to work. Still works now. But it stops because the hole doesnt seem to hold the bulb and after i hit a couple of bumps....there goes my top light.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 PM

^^^ Whaaat? You want your bulbs brighter than stock?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No not really. But the JDM cluster is kind of pale. Not so much lighting. And i swapped out my white bulbs from my climate with amber ones. Looks sick now but the problem would be if i were to put the dimmer to max to get my cluster to look as bright as it would normally be in the JDM housing and CB....my climate control would be brighter than my cluster and it would look funny. Right now everything matches. I left the dimmer down a little so the climate would not outlight the cluster. Get it?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 PM

Yes! Now I do. Hehe. K, I do see your dilemma. Option two would be darker bulbs in the climate control, I guess. But yeah if you re-use the JDM circuit board then it gets around that issue. Good luck! Auto circuit board w/tach is the same except it has the hole where the external Auto shifter position unit is inserted (see JDM Auto circuit board w/hole in pic above). That's the only difference.

One last thing -- your gauges will transfer over if your JDM one ISN'T made by DENSO.... that's the clusters with the Green circuit board one that I talk about in my DIY ... it doesn't sound like yours is, but I just thought I'd make that clear.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. Well im gonna try to find a manual or maybe ill just buy a auto and keep my JDM CB until it takes a ****. My friend where i got my cluster at(has a shop) said he would solder it to fix it? WTH? I mean i called him about the problem and he said he would help me fix it. That he would solder it or what ever way you say it..LoL
Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What if I use a auto non tach housing and place my Jdm circuit board and gauges. Will it work or are the housings diffirent?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM

No go ... non-tach is totally different.

Soldering might help ... along with some Goop/glue to keep the bulb in place. Ghetto-rig sometimes works esp if you can hide it.