Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM S20 LSD ??'s Q-A

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM S20 LSD ??'s Q-A

Original thread here : https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1781541

Well I've been checking in with my local JDM Parts/Engine supplier weekly and finally after 6 months of waiting a very new S20 LSD Transmission came in with a D15B. So I bought the tranny to put into my 98 hatch, but I had some questions for some of the tech savvy types who know the tranny.

What kind of fluid do I use? It doesn't appear to have a sealed diff housing so I would assume that the transmission fluid is shared with the diff and if thats the case then I would assume it's a helical type LSD which would use the standard 10W-30 or Honda MTF. I know with Viscous types of diffs they require a much heavier weight oil. I'm also assuming because the Type-R's use Helical LSD that this would be the same. Input???

Also I'm assuming that the Vehicle Speed Sensor is the same between my EK and this S20 so I was going to use the one currently in the transmission. Safe Assumption???

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: JDM S20 LSD ??'s Q-A (Scracho)

can you tell me the name of the place were you bought the tranny. if you to the Honda dealeship the have tranny fluid for LSD transmission.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

everything is the same.

same oil, same vss.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Just to ease your fluid fears I run Honda MTF if my ITR trans with zero problems.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM S20 LSD ??'s Q-A (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just to ease your fluid fears I run Honda MTF if my ITR trans with zero problems.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I figured that the standard Honda MTF would work considering it's a standard S20 with the exception of LSD, but there have been some comments that this was believed to be a Viscous type and not the Helical LSD. My ITR tranny in my DelSol uses the standard Honda MTF but thats because it's a Helical type. There just seems to be very little info on these D series LSD trannys. I just want to be 100% sure considering the rarity of this tranny, didn't want to cook it right away.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scracho &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I figured that the standard Honda MTF would work considering it's a standard S20 with the exception of LSD, but there have been some comments that this was believed to be a Viscous type and not the Helical LSD. My ITR tranny in my DelSol uses the standard Honda MTF but thats because it's a Helical type. There just seems to be very little info on these D series LSD trannys. I just want to be 100% sure considering the rarity of this tranny, didn't want to cook it right away. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's nto a clutch based LSD. i'm 90% sure that it's the same style as the ITR one, in that it's 1-way ACELL only LSD.

Fill it through the VSS or reverse light indicator so you can stuff 2qts in it.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM S20 LSD ??'s Q-A (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it's nto a clutch based LSD. i'm 90% sure that it's the same style as the ITR one, in that it's 1-way ACELL only LSD.

Fill it through the VSS or reverse light indicator so you can stuff 2qts in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Bense! I spoke with one of the techs yesterday about the tranny and apparently he has a UK service manual at home and he's almost certain it has the specs in the manual. I'm pretty certain it's a gear type LSD, but I would like to end this debate once and for all!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scracho &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks Bense! I spoke with one of the techs yesterday about the tranny and apparently he has a UK service manual at home and he's almost certain it has the specs in the manual. I'm pretty certain it's a gear type LSD, but I would like to end this debate once and for all! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Woh! I was wrong! According to my tech's service manual it's a Viscous 1 way LSD. Recommended transmission fluid is 10W40. Apparently Helical LSD weren't an option until 1996 in the ITR and CTR.