Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM p72 ECU vtec doesn't engage(NO CEL)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM p72 ECU vtec doesn't engage(NO CEL)

hey guys i'm running a JDM p72 obd1 ECU (MANUAL checked already*)

vtec isn't engaging? here's the story..

motor=usdm 98 usdm b18c1

on obd2 to obd1 conversion harness and i tested out a USDM p30..vtec engages predominately where my friends and i can notice...

but i got this JDM-P72-003 ecu i ordered off ebay(stupid me..)
and it won't engage in vtec with it..and i have no CELS..

could it be the intake manifold since jdm sir-g don't have butterflies?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM p72 ECU vtec doesn't engage(NO CEL)

no... I think its the ecu... People usually scam when you buy online. They can remove the p72 sticker and place it on a new ecu cover, or do anything..
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
no... I think its the ecu... People usually scam when you buy online. They can remove the p72 sticker and place it on a new ecu cover, or do anything..
damn..you think so? weird ahah i was going look for you n msg you..i swear you have a youtube video of your old/current EK with JDM ECU? engaged vtec very noticeably.. yeah i'm having my friend check the ecu tomorrow and most likely going to ask for a refund/call my credit card co.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phoxking
damn..you think so? weird ahah i was going look for you n msg you..i swear you have a youtube video of your old/current EK with JDM ECU? engaged vtec very noticeably.. yeah i'm having my friend check the ecu tomorrow and most likely going to ask for a refund/call my credit card co.
yeah that was my old old motor haha. You should open up the ecu and take a picture of it and post it here.. It could be an ls non vtec ecu or something. Does it even rev up to 8100rpms? if it only revs up to like 7000rpms then its most likely an ls ecu or something else

btw I had a Jdm SIR-G motor in that ek. Yes it did come with the standard gsr manifold with the IAB's. When the IAB opens, it usually sounds a little louder than the vtec itself. Alot of people say that you can't hear the vtec in a GSR motor and the reason for this is because of the secondary butterflies not opening up until a little later which explains why. Put in an aftermarket manifold like a skunk2 and you can clearly hear it. However, you should be able to feel the vtec kick in also. Try flooring it on 5th gear on the highway. It will take longer to rev up but you should hear it more as soon as vtec kicks in.

However, you tell us that you tried a p30 ecu and you can hear the vtec kick in or notice the difference. Then it sounds to me like its the ecu and not an intake manifold problem.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
yeah that was my old old motor haha. You should open up the ecu and take a picture of it and post it here.. It could be an ls non vtec ecu or something. Does it even rev up to 8100rpms? if it only revs up to like 7000rpms then its most likely an ls ecu or something else

btw I had a Jdm SIR-G motor in that ek. Yes it did come with the standard gsr manifold with the IAB's. When the IAB opens, it usually sounds a little louder than the vtec itself. Alot of people say that you can't hear the vtec in a GSR motor and the reason for this is because of the secondary butterflies not opening up until a little later which explains why. Put in an aftermarket manifold like a skunk2 and you can clearly hear it. However, you should be able to feel the vtec kick in also. Try flooring it on 5th gear on the highway. It will take longer to rev up but you should hear it more as soon as vtec kicks in.

However, you tell us that you tried a p30 ecu and you can hear the vtec kick in or notice the difference. Then it sounds to me like its the ecu and not an intake manifold problem.
i can go up to 8100, but yeah i will open it up tomorrow n get a picture asap.