Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM ITR 5 lug on del sol. A few questions.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JDM ITR 5 lug on del sol. A few questions.

I have a 97 del sol si. It currently has a b18c5 swap. I have purchased a JDM ITR 5 lug conversion. I am ready to order JDM ITR axles from drive shaft shop. And am also ready to order coil-overs.

Here's the questions.
Keep in mind while answering that I wish to use the removed pieces from the del sol to rear disc swap my 2000 Civic also.

1-if I understand correctly I can use del sol rear LCA. so if I Install the itr 5 lug with a new EG/del sol rear lower control arm. Then I should have all that is needed to rear disc swap my 2000 civic right?

2- if I Buy koni/gc suspension for the del sol then. All the parts should be fully transferable between my two cars.

3- does the energy suspension bushing kit for USDM ITR fit the JDM ITR parts? From what I understand only the hub is different so they should work right?

Last edited by nateasham; 01-09-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Easier to understand.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM ITR 5 lug on del sol. A few questions.

Shortened and reworded. Hopefully easier to understand.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.yes
2.yes
3.yes
Old 01-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use prelude axles.

The shocks correspond to which rear LCA's you want to use. Are you planning on using JDM ITR RLCA's for the rear of your del sol? If NOT, then yes...the coilovers will be swappable between the 2 cars.

If you take EG/DC (non ITR) coilovers and use them on a 96-00 civic....you need shims between the rear LCA and coilover.

Do yourself a favor and avoid using polyurethane suspension bushings.

Your 2000 civic will desperately need an alignment if you're using EG/DC front suspension spindles on it. I'm assuming you're swapping all 4 spindles onto the 00 civic. The rear trailing arms are all the same. So as long as you keep the 00 civic's rear LCA's, everything will swap over.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No The del sol is getting the 5 lug/bigger brakes. My 2000 civic si. In Canada only comes as a d16y8 with rear drums. I want to use the stock del sol parts I remove from the rear to put rear discs on my civic. It's an automatic for DD and winter. The Shocks likely would not coming off of the del sol but just in case I'm not happy with the suspension id like to Be able to put the coil overs on my other car and try again. The sol is what I'm building though.

As far as the axles go I've read so much in all directions about what does and doesn't work oem and I don't like the whole hybrid idea. So I'm just going with a jdm direct replacement made by DSS seems to be a more "safe n secure" known direct fit.

As far as the bushings I'm very undecided. I'm replacing all bushings/ball joints too. I just don't know with what yet. Again this seems so up to personal preference no matter how much reading I do I couldn't decide. So I was just planning on trying the ES cause I've never had em. If I don't like them I can always go back to oem. I've even been considering using spherical bearings in many spots for serviceability. The del sol is being built for the absolute best handling possible. "Ride quality" is of no concern to me as of yet. I know my Girlfriend will hate it but too bad.

Edit: I've also considered going oem again just to see how bad it is with the new suspension. I still don't know how stiff of springs I'm going though, so it's hard to decide what to do.

Last edited by nateasham; 01-12-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 AM

My beef with the energy bushings was the appalling ride quality mixed in with the comparatively fast wear.

You must be a glutton for punishment if you'd like to install bushings...see if you like them...uninstall them....and then reinstall stock bushings. I'd rather burn the car.

Spherical bushings aren't a good idea for a street car at all. Even one built for "ultimate handling". Is this going to be a track car?

Plenty of street/track cars run hardrace bushings. They last a long time, and don't destroy your anus on any given bump. The skateboard feel of poly bushings is awful...I have no clue how anyone can stand skipping over bumps like that.

It seems like you haven't decided on much and are just gathering info....which is fine.

I'm just suggesting things from experience:

I used 5G prelude base model axles on my DB8 with a JDM ITR 5 lug. I got mint OEM axles from a junkyard in CA for $65 shipped!!!

The driver side axle was 100% bolt on. The passenger side axle required you to swap over the INNER joint from a B/D series trans. It took 5 mins and a boot clamp/boot clamp tool.

This isn't just one of those "it worked for me, and it hasn't been a problem so far", but also a "it 100% works for sure, player".
Old 01-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
My beef with the energy bushings was the appalling ride quality mixed in with the comparatively fast wear.

You must be a glutton for punishment if you'd like to install bushings...see if you like them...uninstall them....and then reinstall stock bushings. I'd rather burn the car. This part made me lol. It's not that I'd like to do all that.....but I relize everyone is eventually gonna do a mod there not happy with and want to change it. I'd rather get it right first time. So checking out them hard race bushings.

Spherical bushings aren't a good idea for a street car at all. Even one built for "ultimate handling". Is this going to be a track car?
no it will see MUCH more street than track. To be honest I just found out about shperical bearings recently and knew very little other than the obvious "they're solid". So they weren't too much of a consideration. It is summer ONLY car, but I want to get into auto cross with it. And I will take it to the local 1/4 mile too (it won't be nothing special for a while)

Plenty of street/track cars run hardrace bushings. They last a long time, and don't destroy your anus on any given bump. The skateboard feel of poly bushings is awful...I have no clue how anyone can stand skipping over bumps like that.
Haven't heard of hard race bushings only their mounts. I'll look into these more.

It seems like you haven't decided on much and are just gathering info....which is fine. Yes and no. I'd say I'm decided on all now other than my bushings (cause now I gotta check out hard race. . I went with 550/500 front/rear spring rates.

I'm just suggesting things from experience: greatly appreciate it all

I used 5G prelude base model axles on my DB8 with a JDM ITR 5 lug. I got mint OEM axles from a junkyard in CA for $65 shipped!!!
I don't know the mileage on my current axles or on used ones I might get. That was majority of my reason to just buying new instead. and that's part of what I meant by too many "hybrid" options. I thought I needed a OUTTER cv from a crv to use my axles, I had also read about prelude options. I don't know axles/cv's very well. Will look more at this option as that would save me quite a bit. Another option I considered was just ordering the JDM ITR outter cv's and putting them on my current axles (research says this works too) but again then there's unknown mileage on my axles

The driver side axle was 100% bolt on. The passenger side axle required you to swap over the INNER joint from a B/D series trans. When you say inner from trans do you just mean the inner cv(if that's the right name) off of my stock B series axle? It took 5 mins and a boot clamp/boot clamp tool.

This isn't just one of those "it worked for me, and it hasn't been a problem so far", but also a "it 100% works for sure, player".

Thank you so much for your info and input.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:40 PM

By "inner" joint, I meant the one that slides into the trans. The prelude inner joint has a longer spline. So it all fits...but you'll have a very slow and annoying fluid leak.

I find that the inner joints are easier to swap than the outers.

This only has to be done on the passenger side. The driver side 5G Prelude base model axle is the same as an integra axle...except it has "36mm" splines on the OUTER joint.

There's no point in ordering JDM ITR outer joints. Preludes, CRV's and other USDM cars have the same outer joints as JDM ITR's.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright I'll try that then. 5G is 97-2001 correct?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:05 AM

Yep. I used 97-01 base model axles and had to hybrid the passenger (right) side. I *think* if you use a 97-01 Type SH(it) passenger axle, it might just bolt on.

I posted in a thread about this....with pics. If I find it, I'll link it.