Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM engine swap illegal??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM engine swap illegal??

Tonight at work my friend and I were talking about cars as usual. He currently has a 240sx and is looking into getting a SR20DET swap for it. Well the conversation progresses and he mentions that putting an engine that cannot be sourced in the USDM, into his 240SX would be illegal, and he would be in trouble if a cop pulled him over and somehow recognized what he did.

Is this really true? I'm just curious because lot's of you guys have JDM swaps and I know that sometimes you guys get pulled over, but i've never heard anyone get in trouble for this specific reason....
Old 11-11-2002, 07:04 PM

Default Re: JDM engine swap illegal?? (skhonda)

we get in trouble for ANY reason! I don't think the engine would pass the emissions tests to be legal (if you have emissions) i know jdm specs and us specs are different on what is needed.. But i don't think a cop would know any difference unless he ran your numbers on the block!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:07 PM

Default Re: JDM engine swap illegal?? (5ZigenSol)

Japanese motors dont pass emissions or smog

Putting motors in cars that are older then the car is illegal Example 94 Integra GSR motor in a 96 Civic Hatch ... against carb laws in many states

Depending where you are, if they have RECON laws .... cops may or may not run your block and Vin#

These are the prices you pay to play the "tuning" game ...
Old 11-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Don't Trust Anyone

Default Re: JDM engine swap illegal?? (Rookie SPL)

Yes the 11th Commandment says "Thou shalt not swap."
Old 11-11-2002, 08:23 PM

Default Re: JDM engine swap illegal?? (Rookie SPL)

Putting motors in cars that are older then the car is illegal Example 94 Integra GSR motor in a 96 Civic Hatch ... against carb laws in many states

Depending where you are, if they have RECON laws .... cops may or may not run your block and Vin#

jdm engine will pass smog as long as you hook up all the emission crap that was on the old engine.If that was the case all of those japaneese engine importers would be shut down (there are about 10 million of them) beause they would be selling illegal engines....I'm not just refering to the big name companies like jdm direct etc i'm also talking about the little guys that have been around for 20 years that advertise in every news paper know to man....
Old 11-12-2002, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: JDM engine swap illegal?? (b16ahybrid)

jdm engine will pass smog as long as you hook up all the emission crap that was on the old engine.If that was the case all of those japaneese engine importers would be shut down (there are about 10 million of them) beause they would be selling illegal engines....I'm not just refering to the big name companies like jdm direct etc i'm also talking about the little guys that have been around for 20 years that advertise in every news paper know to man....
yup, jdm motor do indeed past smog IF u hook everythin up the way it should be. and u don't have krazy mods on it too of course!