Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM EG cluster swap easy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JDM EG cluster swap easy?

Hey crew,
just got my JDM EG guage cluster.. and now I have to figure out how to switch it with the oem one in the dash now.. is this a total pain?
are there any tricks I need to know?
I am sure I can figure it out, but you know there is always a hidden clip or something that the "first timer" will break....
so, any help is appreciated
Old 09-10-2001, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JDM EG cluster swap easy? (owen_the_soyboy)

plug N play ... no wiring mods necessary.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:09 AM

What's up? Upstate in the house!! What gen is your car? Mine's 6th and the cluster is really simple to remove....just be PATIENT! As far as wiring in a new cluster I am clueless but in order to put my gauges in I had to remove my cluster. There is only 2 clips involved and you will probably have to remove the bottom part of the dash underneath the steering column to get to them. Just unscrew the 2 screws of the gauge trim on top and gently work it out my compressing the clips from underneath. Good luck!

On a different subject.....does anyone know how to remove the plastic trim surrounding the center dash of a 98 Civic???? I couldn't get that thing out for the life of me. I even pulled my stereo out and everything but it seems like there are some clips on the top or something holding that puppy in real good.

Peace
Stock

ol'skool skater....nu'skool racer
Old 09-10-2001, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope I post this up so it's actually useful (meaning you haven't done the swap yet )

eg6 cluster swap should take you about 10 mins to do.

it's straight plug and play

take the 2 bolts that are near hte top of the trim around the cluster out. pry out the hazard switch removet he bolt back there. pry out the plastic trim...

if you have a clock unplug the clock, if you dont' have a clock unplug that harness that is connected to that plastic piece

now there is just the cluster left.
4 bolts hold that in. remove them now the cluster should be lose

remove the 2 wire harness on the side, and the yellow and green plug on the bottom of the cluster... you old usdm cluster should be out...

put the jdm one in, and the only things you are gonna plug is are the harnesses on the side. the green plug and yellow plugs i think are for cruise control light, and dim switch; not sure though. so those won't go into the cluster just let them hang and chill for the rest of the time.

put the **** back together, and boom you are finished.

us eg folks have not wiring woes like ef's dudes

by the way.. if you have cruise control it should still work even though you don't have a cruise control light no more. and you can't dim your cluster no more either

the low fuel light doesn't work you gotta run some sorta wire (consult kitty katman on that schtuff), and the temp gauges won't go in the middle like your usdm used to , the jdm temp gauge needles stay below the half way point.

l8r duude
Old 09-10-2001, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: JDM EG cluster swap easy? (Bumnah)

ol skool skater? HELLS YEAH! I was watching Matt Hensley in the H-street video "hokus pokus, just mirros and wires" a while ago... that brought back memories!

thanks for the step by step too! perfect, just what I needed.. and thanks again for the heads up on the little things too. very cool
I will get this swap done shortly....
Old 09-11-2001, 05:23 AM

NICE!!! Hensley was god! I remember when EVERYONE was rockin' the H-Street logos on their griptape...........brings back fond memories as well.

Anything going on in Rock City this weekend. I got a friend I may be coming to visit and I was wondering where everyone chills. Hit me up on the email jstock107@hotmail.com maybe we can hook up in the future. Should check it out in the Cuse'......the Blvd. is always busy on the weekends.

Peace
Stock

ol'skool skater...........nu'skool racer