Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM D15B

Old 06-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM D15B

I need information on this motor.....hp/torque.......compression ratio........parts that will be needed to drop in a Civic....will D16Y7 parts fit for example...tranny....headers.......or greddy sohc turbo manifold.......are these engines good to go on boost.....do they have potential for boost if built correctly how many pounds can it hold......and around how much hp can it build......Thanks for the Help...
Old 06-26-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Re: JDM D15B (JDMFerio01)

Here ya go...

http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/

Old 06-26-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM D15B (JDM-pinoy)

great link
way to make use of your first post
Old 06-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks...very good source of infomation.....now are these engine good o boost on? What is the difference between the JDM D15B & D16Y8?? Also, what is the difference between JDM D15B and an LS motor besides the fact that an LS is DOHC and the D is SOHC Vtec? Which motor would be more convenient to boost? Can someone please post a list of every part that would be needed in order to swap an LS in a sohc civic EK.......I've already searched and read several posts on swap information but they don't really answer my questions....Thanks again
Old 06-27-2004, 10:00 AM
sohcvtec66

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-pinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here ya go...

http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry but that lin n crap
Old 06-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JDM D15B (sohcvtec66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry but that lin n crap</TD></TR></TABLE>

errr what?
Old 06-27-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: JDM D15B (Tad)

Used with the Multimatic transmission, the EK3 can frequently shock vehicles with larger capacity engines, literally leaving the arrogant tail-gaters for dead when accelerating from medium speeds. When WOT is engaged, engine revs immediately shoots up, with Multimatic maintaining the appropriate gear ratio to keep the car at about the same speed. When engine revs finally peaks at 7200rpm, Multimatic would have engaged the highest possible gear ratio for the speed the car is travelling at. 7200rpm is now maintained as the car picks up speed and it is the gear ratio which will be continously varied according to the car's speed. Thus Multimatic guarantees the highest possible acceleration from any suitable starting speed (typically from 50kmh onwards) and maintains this condition right up to the car's artificial, soft speed limiter at around 180kph.

holy **** anybody know anything about that tranny?? that would be f-in sick
Old 06-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM D15B (DaZman69)

Anybody ever try putting a JDM 1.5 Vtec Head on a D16Y7? If so, what were the results?
Old 06-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the jdm d15b head is essentially the same as a d16z6 head, but it has a slightly hotter cam then the d16z6.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:45 AM

Default Re: JDM D15B (Serdar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Serdar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the jdm d15b head is essentially the same as a d16z6 head, but it has a slightly hotter cam then the d16z6.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeh but the d15b 3 stage vtec is different. but I think it would bolt on to any d-series block with slight mods.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFerio01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anybody ever try putting a JDM 1.5 Vtec Head on a D16Y7? If so, what were the results?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think it it is called a mini-me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaZman69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">holy **** anybody know anything about that tranny?? that would be f-in sick</TD></TR></TABLE>
The CVT multi matic tranny came in Thailand on EK, and other countries in europe. I dont know if it was ever sold on the US.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFerio01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need information on this motor.....hp/torque.......compression ratio........parts that will be needed to drop in a Civic....will D16Y7 parts fit for example...tranny....headers.......or greddy sohc turbo manifold.......are these engines good to go on boost.....do they have potential for boost if built correctly how many pounds can it hold......and around how much hp can it build......Thanks for the Help...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The D15B is nothing more than a D16Z6 with a hotter cam, as was stated above. Its also obvesouly a 1.5. The valves, rods, pistons, springs, everything internal is the same as the D16. Would your head work on the motor. yeah its called a mini-me. but why would you do this?! Thats like buying a B16 and putting a LS head on it.

Is it good for boost? about 8psi.

Im about to buy one. I look at it the same way as I do my D16Z6, but a bit cheaper, and its JDM (low miles). Its a direct one for one swap, nothing in the middle...

Old 06-28-2004, 04:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: JDM D15B (junkyard racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junkyard racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The valves, rods, pistons, springs, everything internal is the same as the D16. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not, if it had the same head AND block as a D16, then it would be a........

D16B

I has a D15 block (B7 spec i think), which when mated with a P08 head mean you get a decent vtec engine, pretty much the best OEM SOHC

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junkyard racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The D15B is nothing more than a D16Z6 with a hotter cam,
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have owned both, and the D15B is a lot more than a Z6, it performs quite differently, lower compression, better R/S ratio, and lighter internals all mean that its happier to rev, and with the right mods pulls very well for 1.5 I would have thought 140whp N/A is acheivable, dont know how much on boost though. Its also a probably a little lighter, not much, but how much do you pay to remove 2kg elsewhere, all helps

Back OT

Best info link is here, full Honda specs for the car,
http://www.honda.co.jp/HOT/Mod....htmlusually goes through babelfish, but seems to be playing up

All D series head stuff should fit (with the usual no fit issues), the D15B does have the same head as the Z6, so if it fits that your good to go

I think the bottom end isnt quite as strong as the Z6, but i havent looked into it as my D15B is staying NA or now, so i dont know its limitations, but i would guess for decent boost you will need to look into strengthening the bottom end

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaZman69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
holy **** anybody know anything about that tranny?? that would be f-in sick</TD></TR></TABLE>

CVT's are quite common, but not great They sound good in theory, but in reality they are slow to react to real world driving, not very efficient so dont actually save much fuel, and more importantly DULL to drive. Needs a few years for the concept to really come good yet.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM D15B (CivicESi)

I think you would know a little better being in the UK...?
I have never had the 2 engines side by side, but have read alot on them. I have heard that the D15B is alot better than the Z6 in many ways. I am working on getting one and doing an ITB set-up on it. I am excited about how its going to respond.

how much boost can it withstand. a person on homemadeturbo.com is pushing 8psi daily.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

o.k i think I have done more or less enough research on this motor, anyone know where i might be able to find one down here in miami?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junkyard racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you would know a little better being in the UK...?
I have never had the 2 engines side by side, but have read alot on them. I have heard that the D15B is alot better than the Z6 in many ways. I am working on getting one and doing an ITB set-up on it. I am excited about how its going to respond. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry matey, was in a sarchastic mood , i have had the too side by side, as i had an (E)Si and my Vti while swapping bits, so i know the differences fairly well, though you guiys have more JDM motors than we do, but we get the full cars

It is a better engine IMHO, and has a slightly lower compression as standard, however the bottom end might not be so strong, and the hotter cam probably wont be better for boost, but you can get Z6 cams in there Responds well to tuning, especially at lower revs, mine pulls better than the Z6 now, especially with the lighter flywheel.

good luck finding an engine, hold out for the LSD box too, worth waiting for with a good block, and if you have any q's let me know, especially NA related, i will see if i can help
Old 07-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicESi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It has a D15 block (B7 spec i think), which when mated with a P08 head mean you get a decent vtec engine, pretty much the best OEM SOHC</TD></TR></TABLE>
jdm d15b7? wrong...its really a vx block d15z1 w/ a z6 head
Old 07-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM D15B (trooper0641)

from everything i've read(which is a good ammount)

vx block,
different pistons
p08(z6) head
more aggressive camshaft

9:3 compression ratio, compared to the 9:2 on the z6
Old 07-07-2004, 01:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from everything i've read(which is a good ammount)

vx block,
different pistons
p08(z6) head
more aggressive camshaft

9:3 compression ratio, compared to the 9:2 on the z6</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool that clears that up , can never remember which block its meant to be based on, thought the z6 is 9.6:1 compression though
Old 07-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicESi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool that clears that up , can never remember which block its meant to be based on, thought the z6 is 9.6:1 compression though </TD></TR></TABLE>

nah the z6 is 9:2,
most sohc vtec are,
Old 07-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from everything i've read(which is a good ammount)

vx block,
different pistons
p08(z6) head
more aggressive camshaft

yeah i'm pretty sure that is 100% correct from everything i've read, and like you, it's quite a bit
Old 07-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Pooping on children

vx block,
different pistons
p08(z6) head
more aggressive camshaft

^^^^this man is correct. oh and this motor loves boost