Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 12:36 PM
mike93eh

Default jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether?

does anyone know if the jdm d15b vtec tranny is the same as a usdm ex, dx tranny or what? thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (mike93eh)

ummm.. i dunno if they're like either of them are they?....don't some of them come with LSD???

as for the gearing of it, i don't know !!!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (95cxhatch)

the gearing is identical to the 5th gen ex / si. some had the lsd, some don't.
you didn't search.. did you
Old 01-18-2004, 01:22 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (jwn7)

i did search actually...but so are they identical to the ex/si tranny?
Old 01-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the gearing is identical to the 5th gen ex / si. some had the lsd, some don't.
you didn't search.. did you </TD></TR></TABLE>
you are correct
Old 01-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (japspecjohn)

dont wanna sound stupid or anything but here goes nothing, um is there a d15 vtec, cause ive only seen non vtecs non im not talking about mini me's
Old 01-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (gold_sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gold_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont wanna sound stupid or anything but here goes nothing, um is there a d15 vtec, cause ive only seen non vtecs non im not talking about mini me's </TD></TR></TABLE>

We wouldn't be talking about this motor if it didn't exist now would we

Old 01-18-2004, 02:27 PM
mike93eh

yes, there are d15 vtec's
jdm d15b vtec 130hp, which i think is equally as good as the d16z6, if not better..
and there is the civic vx with the d15 vtec with like 80hp or something, dont remember, dont care.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

jdm d15b is a de-stroked d16z6...130ps or 128 HP. It is basically a d16z6...with the same head cast, transmission, etc only difference is cam, crank, and rods

Civic VX is a D15Z1...SOHC VTEC-E
Old 01-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (BauleyCivic)

alrigth thanks guys just wanted to make sure, how much are jdm d15 vtec's and where are they sold?
Old 01-18-2004, 07:09 PM
mike93eh

$435 from hmotorsonline.com
best swap for the money, direct bolt in!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$435 from hmotorsonline.com
best swap for the money, direct bolt in!</TD></TR></TABLE>

This does NOT include ECU OR transmission...not to mention shipping costs. Shipping is at least $150-$200 as it is expensive to ship something so big and heavy. Hmotors sells the transmission for an additional $150...also you need to get a P08 or P28 ECU.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:52 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (BauleyCivic)

youre absolutely right, still a good deal unless you can find an individual seller selling one..
Old 01-18-2004, 07:56 PM

im lucky then cuz @ Orient Engines they get these pretty regularly D15B vtec for $325 longblock , not sure bout the tranny - only 1 i saw connected to a D15B vtec the 2nd time i was there was an AUTO w/LSD ! I felt so hollow inside...a freaking AUTO w/LSD...and i checked that shaft on the trans.. no blocking thread!

Old 01-19-2004, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (dremmel)

i definitely recommend this motor. i think its the best motor for the money. i put mine on the dynojet last week and it pushed out 123 hp and 98 lbs. of tq. would have been nice if it had a little more torque but when it gets going its a little beast. comparable to a stock b16.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:30 AM
sohcvtec66

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (iluvjasmine)

CRANK OR WHEEL HP? WHAT MODD'S
Old 01-19-2004, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 92-95 hydro ZC (ie d15 vtec) tranny. It has the larger axle splines so you need b-series axles. I also have a super rare jdm tight (haha) Cusco LSD in it. It has the same gears as the 92-95 SI/EX (although the ex has a longer 5th).

Its not really that special of a tranny - although it does have equal lenghth axles and the larger splines. However unless you care about those things just find yourself a EX/SI tranny and save your time and money.

liam
Old 01-19-2004, 07:58 AM

i got the d15 from hmotorsonile for 808 shipped to my house.i think its a great engine i have had not problems at all.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:29 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (hatchb20)

is that ecu and tranny?
your name has b20 in it though?
Old 01-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (sohcvtec66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CRANK OR WHEEL HP? WHAT MODD'S</TD></TR></TABLE>

wheel hp. the mods are i,h,e pulleys, tuned vafc, and tuned cam gear.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:25 AM

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (iluvjasmine)

I would hate to differ I got a complete D15Bvtec swap with tranny and ecu and I cruise at different RPMS then my buddy with the same year Si I think they are geared differently and for all of you that need **** cleared up the JDM D15B is the **** best money spent yet, it is a D15Z1 bottom end (basically) and a D16Z6 head (exactly) with the usual JDM cam profile bring an extra 38horsepower over the USDM 1.5vtec-e. that tranny is geared so awesome 1st gear is useless in my car because of the turbo, I might put a good D15B7 tranny in to space out my gears more and get me some traction, so I might have a JDM tranny up for grabs but I LOVE that tranny and it makes it pretty peppy. Here is everything you guys need to know about the best SOHC in the game.

http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/
Old 01-28-2004, 02:51 AM

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (myinvestedagony)

JDM D15B S20 hydro tranny has identical ratios to the US Si tranny

have a look here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=660650 for the links etc

Oh and the LSD trannys are marked on top and you can see straight through the diff, no obstructions Picked mine up last week, but i already have a non LSD D15B tranny
Old 01-28-2004, 03:19 AM

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 92-95 hydro ZC (ie d15 vtec) tranny. It has the larger axle splines so you need b-series axles. I also have a super rare jdm tight (haha) Cusco LSD in it. It has the same gears as the 92-95 SI/EX (although the ex has a longer 5th)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Liam, you sure its not the Cusco diff that has the larger splines, as the tranny splines are part of the diff, not the tranny. Maybe cusco only made diffs with B series female splines, would make sence if your putting higher torques from the LSD down the shafts. I am interested to check, as i am swaqpping from a S20 non LSD to LSD tranny, and assumed the axles would be a direct swap

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its not really that special of a tranny - although it does have equal lenghth axles and the larger splines. However unless you care about those things just find yourself a EX/SI tranny and save your time and money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only Honda setups i have seen with equal length shafts have been B-series. If you have used b series shafys, where have you mounted the shaft support bearing bracket thingy (bit that hold the short link shaft to block) as D-series blocks have no bosses for it

Any underbody pics might help, but i could be getting confused as you said ZC tranny, not sure that is an S20??
Old 02-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (CivicESi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicESi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Liam, you sure its not the Cusco diff that has the larger splines, as the tranny splines are part of the diff, not the tranny. Maybe cusco only made diffs with B series female splines, would make sence if your putting higher torques from the LSD down the shafts. I am interested to check, as i am swaqpping from a S20 non LSD to LSD tranny, and assumed the axles would be a direct swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes the stock nonLSD diff also has the larger b-series splines too. This is the same as the 88-91 L3 (ZC) tranny.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only Honda setups i have seen with equal length shafts have been B-series. If you have used b series shafys, where have you mounted the shaft support bearing bracket thingy (bit that hold the short link shaft to block) as D-series blocks have no bosses for it </TD></TR></TABLE>

The 88-91 crx/civic with DOHC ZC engines came with the larger spines and equal length axles. Also the 92 civic limited edition (powered by a obd1 DOHC ZC with a s20 tranny but with the larger spines and equal length axles).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any underbody pics might help, but i could be getting confused as you said ZC tranny, not sure that is an S20??</TD></TR></TABLE>

The 92 hydro ZC tranny is a S20. It has the same gearing as the 92-95 civic SI..however it has the larger b-series splines as it was made to work with equal length axles. I believe you could replace the diff and use a standard civic diff - but whats the fun in that!

liam
Old 02-10-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether? (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes the stock nonLSD diff also has the larger b-series splines too. This is the same as the 88-91 L3 (ZC) tranny.

The 88-91 crx/civic with DOHC ZC engines came with the larger spines and equal length axles. Also the 92 civic limited edition (powered by a obd1 DOHC ZC with a s20 tranny but with the larger spines and equal length axles).

The 92 hydro ZC tranny is a S20. It has the same gearing as the 92-95 civic SI..however it has the larger b-series splines as it was made to work with equal length axles. I believe you could replace the diff and use a standard civic diff - but whats the fun in that!

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cheers Good info there That civic special edition (EF or EG?) is a new one, never heard of a ZC EG before, but it wouldnt surprise me

Hopefully someone can confirm, I am swapping from an OEM D15B S20 non-LSD to an OEM S20 D15B with standard HONDA LSD. I had always assumed that they would be the same shafts, as i thought all D's were the same shafts, but this thread has given me doubts

I just want to check i am not going to get stranded mid swap Especially as its going ahead this weekend

Quick Reply: jdm d15 vtec tranny = ex or dx tranny or niether?