Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM on a budget

hey, i am trying to make my 96 ek hatch look jdm, but im on a budget. i already have a type r polyurithane front lip and i ordered windowvisors. but they came broken in the mail from ebay. but yea any ideas?

thanks
-Ari
Old 12-28-2007, 04:43 PM

lip, drop, wheel.

that's as jdm as it gets.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM on a budget (arihakan)

What is jdm these days, really. On these forums, jdm is "anything you think is cool"

It has nothing to do with what came as original equipment on vehicles sold in japan anymore.

so yeah to answer your question, just put stuff on your car if you like it. Some nice or rare jdm wheels maybe, some sidemarkers, get a jdm sir cluster or something thatd be kickass.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spintboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spintboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lip, drop, wheel.

that's as jdm as it gets.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well put. Basically just keep it simple. Some people like to add fog lights too. Do a search for JDM and you will find plenty of ideas.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKstacy)

put whatever you like just please dont get the parking pole... lamest piece EVER!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: JDM on a budget (jadugartir)

yea i was thinking of getting ls mesh or gsr blades. thanks everyone for responding
Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 PM

what the heck is a parking pole? lol
Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GSR blades ftw! but im not sure about what a parking pole is.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:05 PM

i heard they called a parking pole, an automatic *****! im sure you'll want that lols
Old 12-28-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: JDM on a budget (EKstacy)

Its a small pole that comes out of your bumper and has a light at the tip it lets you know were the edge of your bumper is so you can fit into tight parking spaces in japan. Press a button and it comes up press a button and it goes down.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM on a budget (ejoner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek-g6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i heard they called a parking pole, an automatic *****! im sure you'll want that lols</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, thats funny.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its a small pole that comes out of your bumper and has a light at the tip it lets you know were the edge of your bumper is so you can fit into tight parking spaces in japan. Press a button and it comes up press a button and it goes down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, id definately say to steer clear of the parking pole thing. Ive never seen one, but he explained it like its ET's lit up finget leaving a Hondas a$$.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:25 PM

HAHA, that is funny. but does kno where i can get the hookup on ls mesh or gsr blades? in the bay area?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ebay or craigslist is your best bet. You can also keep a watch on the H-T matketplace.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Come over the fresno, ill hook you up on some Ls mesh, cleans as F**k, and got 80% tread of some Kumho Ecstas..lols but you gotta drive ova here..lols
Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: JDM on a budget (ek-g6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arihakan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey, i am trying to make my 96 ek hatch look jdm, but im on a budget. i already have a type r polyurithane front lip and i ordered windowvisors. but they came broken in the mail from ebay. but yea any ideas?

thanks
-Ari</TD></TR></TABLE>
God, I hate that "word".

To be honest, you've already gone in the wrong direction. The "Type R" style lip that you can purchase off eBay isn't a true Honda part. It doesn't even look right on 96-98 Civics.

You need to find an SiR lip first off. Sell the other one.

Secondly, you drive an EJ. The EK designation was not made in America.

Things not to get:
Parking pole
Tow hook
Rollcage if you don't plan on using it
Assorted braces that cost too much and have no use on a streetcar
"Broadway" mirror

Besides that, it's your car. Have fun with it.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy things that are made in Japan and your JDM (Japanese Domestic Market).

Budget and most JDM parts...dont go together to well.

Just do what You like to YOUR car. Don't worry about all the JDM nutswingers.

Goodluck!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just do what You like to YOUR car. Don't worry about all the JDM nutswingers.

Goodluck!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>
X2

to each his own, IMO HT has gone JDM crazy and you get flamed if your car isnt JDM enough

Old 12-28-2007, 06:48 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (Flint707)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flint707 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put whatever you like just please dont get the parking pole... lamest piece EVER!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Unless you need it.

Not only am I short, but I have some issues with matching distances up. I've never hit so much as a curb, but I wouldn't mind having one. I don't give a **** about it being JDM though.

As for the OP's question, I'd say you're in just the right position. A lot of people would see not being able to spend as much as you want all at once as a good thing... but not I. Not being able to buy every piece of crap that catches your eye is a good thing because it helps make you think about your purchases beforehand.

Start looking at other cars. The Appearance/Cosmetic section on Honda-Tech is a good place to start out. Look at other cars you like and figure out what you're really looking for. Don't just go look at magazine cars or cars used on websites. Look at what other people that might be in a similar position as you are building. Search out anything and everything you might be able to find about your generation of Honda. You'd be surprised what you can find out there.

And I do have to agree with black_EM1 that Honda parts are some of the best quality you're going to find. Especially as far as exterior and interior body parts.

As far as OEM front lips for your car, there is the '97-'98 Honda Civic Type R lip, the '97-'98 Honda Civic front under spoiler (aka "SiR" lip) and the '98 Honda Civic Sport lip (for lack of a better term - this one is the one that matches the "OEM rear lip" that is popular for '96-'98 coupes and sedans).

There are photos of all of these lips on the site. You can find replicas of both the CTR and "SiR" front lips, but I'd encourage you to get the OEM versions if you can.

Bottom line though, even though a lot of people (including me) would rather you not get a Type R Style front lip and not to get a parking pole or whatever... in the end it's up to you. It's your car and screw anyone else who tries to convince you to modify it any other way. No matter what you do, there will be someone out there who hates it and will feed you crap for your decisions.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: (Civicman86)

X3456

JDM cost too much...WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PAY $500 FOR A STEERING WHEEL! but thats IMO. I think Jdm are for people who can and will pay for it. Being on a budget isn't help you when you want something that comes from civic thats from japan..But i like how JDM looks but i would think its impractical for the average joe to be on a budget and still be able to afford jdm things...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek-g6)

Ebay ftw lol!