Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM B18c Type r into EM1 Questions/Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM B18c Type r into EM1 Questions/Suggestions

First off I am seriously weighing the pros and cons of dumping some money into my EM1 vs. buying a new car... My plan for the EM1 would be to drop a Type r b18c in it... The end goal is to have the car run reliably for another 150k with a little extra power while retaining power steering and AC...

So...

What regular maintenance items should I purchase before doing the swap? (I am taking it to a shop)... i.e. gaskets, belts, etc...

I plan on getting some aftermarket mounts to go with it, I see that one of the mounts is different on the type R... Where do I find an aftermarket mount for that?

Header:
I plan on getting a skunk2 megapower header... Has anyone used this in a 96-00 civic? I realize it won't bolt up on the exhaust side, I plan on having the exhaust modified to fit the header... I was curious about clearance, etc... I'm open to other suggestions for headers and I am willing to pay for a good one... My one requirement is that I can go to a legit website and click buy and be done with it... No "just send JeffWinkleDinkle a PM and he can hook you up..."

I plan on replacing the clutch and flywheel at this time... I already have an act stage 2 and an act streetlight flywheel but they have about 50k on them so I figure its probably worth replacing...

I have skunk2 valves, springs, and retainers in my current head as well as skunk2 stage 1 cams... I know the skunk2 stage 1 cams make power over the stock type r cams... Think its worth it to just swap them over? Also the type r valvetrain should be fine right?

Can I use the axles that come with the swap?

Any other suggestions you guys have are welcome...
Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM B18c Type r into EM1 Questions/Suggestions

i thought a b18c was a jdm gsr not type r. type r is b18c5 right? and ur mounts will b found from hasport. and yes the axles should fit
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I you are buying a used engine go ahead and do a clutch (machine or buy a new flywheel), change oil, change timing belt, change water pump, change plugs. These are a must.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shoklid
i thought a b18c was a jdm gsr not type r. type r is b18c5 right? and ur mounts will b found from hasport. and yes the axles should fit
JDM "GSRs" and "Type Rs" both have the engine stamp b18c...

B18C5 is the USDM type R
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really post on here anymore, but I did a type R swap into my EG hatch about 6 months ago. I did a lot more than you really NEED to do before a swap, but I would definitely recommend at least,

Energy Suspension Motor mount inserts, (pretty cheap and worth the $)
Replace timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, and Valve cover and oil pan gasket if you see signs of oil(these are harder to do with the engine in the car). Also check your screen/gasket on the vtec cylenoid, and change the oil and tranny fluid pretty quickly after you get the motor running for a couple days. There WILL be at least a little if not a lot of engine sludge left over. I recommend all this because you truly never know what your getting when you pick up a used engine for someone else.

Also might wanna invest in cap/rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs ( you can do this later as it is much easier, but just a thought).

As for axles, (I could be wrong on this since I don't own an EM1), but 99-00 civic SI axles and mounts will be used for your swap
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help guys...

Does anyone have any clarification on the tranny bracket issue?

"Engine mount kit for B and D series Engines. Fits B18B, B20, and B16 engines. B18C/1 or B18C5 requires a bracket change."

This was quoted from hasport for their B-series EK mounts...

Also any input on headers? I'm going to get the car dyno tuned, I want to get it right the first time and just drive it...
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tercel95
Thanks for the help guys...

Does anyone have any clarification on the tranny bracket issue?

"Engine mount kit for B and D series Engines. Fits B18B, B20, and B16 engines. B18C/1 or B18C5 requires a bracket change."

This was quoted from hasport for their B-series EK mounts...
http://hasport.com/store/index.php/a...kets/eglb.html

You need to change the bracket on the engine side from a 3 post mount to a 2 post mount.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 AM

Circled are the 2 brackets needed off a 99-00 b16. The timing mount and the rear L bracket. These are different, as the B18's were designed for the Integra chassis
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

since you have all that done already with your b16a2..get a GSR block with higher compression like the itr and get a LSD installed on the b16a2 tranny...you be just as fast....or faster...no point of wasting $4,000.....think bout it..unless your really rich and don't give a **** what you buy....

oh and another thing...JDM GSR and ITR are B18C....you can tell if it's says P72 or P73 on the parts on the engine and the ITR has a green mark behind he dizzy.....hopefully that would help you out man.....
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99_EM1
since you have all that done already with your b16a2..get a GSR block with higher compression like the itr and get a LSD installed on the b16a2 tranny...you be just as fast....or faster...no point of wasting $4,000.....think bout it..unless your really rich and don't give a **** what you buy....

oh and another thing...JDM GSR and ITR are B18C....you can tell if it's says P72 or P73 on the parts on the engine and the ITR has a green mark behind he dizzy.....hopefully that would help you out man.....
I would rather spend the money on the motor than the labor... I live in an apartment complex where I have been reprimanded for even changing my oil... All my tools are in MD with my parents, so thats why its going to a shop... Also my tranny is tired, and has the high rpm 3rd gear grind...

The #1 goal here is reliability, the type R just seems like the easier way to go... Thanks for the info...
Old 10-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or else get the JDM GSR B18C and slap on a Skunk2 or Blox IM and the extra parts you have from the B16A2 like the cams and what not over to it....should produce close to or the same as the ITR...

personally i think the ITR and K20A ITR is overpriced.....you can get RB26 swaps for nissans cheaper than 4k....shittttt
Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99_EM1
or else get the JDM GSR B18C and slap on a Skunk2 or Blox IM and the extra parts you have from the B16A2 like the cams and what not over to it....should produce close to or the same as the ITR...

personally i think the ITR and K20A ITR is overpriced.....you can get RB26 swaps for nissans cheaper than 4k....shittttt
I agree the ITR does seem a bit overpriced but it is a pretty remarkable engine... I have considered the JDM GSR w/LSD... A lot of people complain about the b16 but to be honest I am happy with the performance of my mildly modified b16... I'm not really looking for a whole lot I just want to make my car reliable again and I figure I might as well do a slight upgrade while I'm at it...

My girlfriend wants me to buy a brand new GTI, while I like them, I absolutely love my EM1 I would hate to see it go... This is really a tough decision... Honestly my car is beat though, the outside is beat, it burns a little oil, everything is corroded like it was parked in a swamp... I couldn't get the LCA bolts out with an impact gun and I broke a socket...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha...same here...even though mine is beat i still love it.....