Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM B18C Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM B18C Swap??

Ok I finally decided I want to swap a Jdm B18C into my 1998 Honda Civic Coupe. Will there be a lot or problems getting it Bar'd into my car is it even possible without much hassle?? I want to keep my car street legal because I live in California. Should I just go with the usdm B18C5 I'm almost possitive they have the same specs and it's smog legal, what do you guys think?? Will the B18C or B18C5 be better to swap in for a Cali Resident??

note: I don't have the cash yet, it's still on my car wish list but just want to know before I buy the engine Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM B18C Swap?? (reyrey2006)

if you get the B18C5 its going to be like 1500 more for 20 more hp and not to mention if its usdm its gona have some miles on it. get a JDM B18C yes it is possible to BAR it (i have done it myself) to get the JDM B18C to pass you are going to need:

USDM P72
all carb legal parts example: intake, header.
everything needs to be wired up properly (knock sensor)
STOCK GSR CATALYTIC CONVERTER. ( i cant stress this enough it was the biggest help on my emissions test.

the reason the JDM motor tends to fail is because of the NOX it is a higher compression motor then the USDM B18C1 this is exactly why you need a stock GSR catalytic converter: it is a special three-way cat just for the GSR due to its high NOX.

before i switched the GSR cat my NOX at the 15 mph test was at 2200+ and the max is 742. after i installed the GSR cat it was brought down to 258. AMAZING DIFFERENCE!

when you have all of these parts and work done, go get some 100 fuel, do a mix of about half 91 half 100 octane. (note do this on a lower tank of gas) drive the vehicle pretty hard on the way to the ref. keep your revs up so you can burn the carbon out of the system. then when its time to test just pray. it took me 4 tries to pass.

only thing right now is that the BAR is closed due to the budget crisis. so you wont be able to get it BAR'd till its open again. but i believe it open back up in a couple months.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM B18C Swap?? (gizzerhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gizzerhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you get the B18C5 its going to be like 1500 more for 20 more hp and not to mention if its usdm its gona have some miles on it. get a JDM B18C yes it is possible to BAR it (i have done it myself) to get the JDM B18C to pass you are going to need:

USDM P72
all carb legal parts example: intake, header.
everything needs to be wired up properly (knock sensor)
STOCK GSR CATALYTIC CONVERTER. ( i cant stress this enough it was the biggest help on my emissions test.

the reason the JDM motor tends to fail is because of the NOX it is a higher compression motor then the USDM B18C1 this is exactly why you need a stock GSR catalytic converter: it is a special three-way cat just for the GSR due to its high NOX.

before i switched the GSR cat my NOX at the 15 mph test was at 2200+ and the max is 742. after i installed the GSR cat it was brought down to 258. AMAZING DIFFERENCE!

when you have all of these parts and work done, go get some 100 fuel, do a mix of about half 91 half 100 octane. (note do this on a lower tank of gas) drive the vehicle pretty hard on the way to the ref. keep your revs up so you can burn the carbon out of the system. then when its time to test just pray. it took me 4 tries to pass.

only thing right now is that the BAR is closed due to the budget crisis. so you wont be able to get it BAR'd till its open again. but i believe it open back up in a couple months.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you very much you are a big help
Old 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM B18C Swap?? (reyrey2006)

no problem.

unfortunetly no one really told me very much when i was going through the trouble myself so there it is pretty much broken down for you.