Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM B18C-R Swap - Feedback Appreciated

Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM B18C-R Swap - Feedback Appreciated

I plan to swap in a JDM B18C-R within the next few months and i have some concerns and a few questions. I am leaning toward the 98+ spec just to make sure i get all the bells and whistles. I currently have an LS/Vtec in the engine bay so i dont see the swap being all too complicated. From what i have found i will just use my current axles and shift linkage. I also plan on buying some Hasport mounts from a friend since he is going K for the next race season. My concerns are only really about wiring because i have researched and found that an OBD2 engine harness can be used in place of the RHD harness concidering my current OBD1 harness wont plug correctly and also im not sure whether i should send off my ecu to get a base map for the JDM ITR or i should just get a jumper harness and run the JDM ecu.

Any suggestions, input, pros or cons would be well appreciated. This project is still completely in the brainstorm stage and will be a daily driver.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM B18C-R Swap - Feedback Appreciated

No one has anything to say?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The swap is pretty much plug and play if you are running an lsvtec, don't even both changing the wiring. Reuse your dizzy, chip up the ecu and that should be it
Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
The swap is pretty much plug and play if you are running an lsvtec, don't even both changing the wiring. Reuse your dizzy, chip up the ecu and that should be it
X2
Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think i have decided to instead just save a little more money and go for the k24a2 instead. I think i can get it done for about 7000 or so.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by DualCam_V
I think i have decided to instead just save a little more money and go for the k24a2 instead. I think i can get it done for about 7000 or so.
That's crazy!!! I never would

You could go with a H2B swap for way less money!!!

H23A vtec engine
S80 lsd tranny
h2b mount kit

what ever mods you want....and make crazy power for less than 1/2 the price
Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OH the k series hype
Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
OH the k series hype
this
Old 08-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deetz
That's crazy!!! I never would

You could go with a H2B swap for way less money!!!

H23A vtec engine
S80 lsd tranny
h2b mount kit

what ever mods you want....and make crazy power for less than 1/2 the price
H23 w/ k series pistons is KILLER. My baddy has that setup and it RIPS
Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stick with itr swap straight drop since u have everything for swap u will be happy with power that the itr put out
Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K swap is gonna be the next B swap. It's that popular. And it's being innovated more and more every month. People are coming up with mounts with good clearance, aftermarket internals are already at a pretty good production rate. There's even more development lately to make this swap completely bolt-in (like the hybrid racing bolt-in shifter) that make this swap mostly reversible (you'd have to put the passenger side mount back on since you drill it out to put the k-swap mount in). There's forced induction support with at least 1 turbo-flanged header that I know of. It is hype, but it's really going to become more and more common.

I'd kill to go K in my eg4dr if I had the money. Take a peak into the last issue of Honda Tuning with the in-house build done by hybrid racing on the white del sol. It's a damn good build.

Think back to the days when people were still "innovating" the wiring and whatnot for B swaps into civics!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by Wdpfreak145
K swap is gonna be the next B swap. It's that popular. And it's being innovated more and more every month.
And with that being said, in 4-5 years they will be cheap like b series now. But to spend 7 grand now, is just plain dumb, why?? It defeats your point
Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is being fast worth to you? 7k for a motor swap is a lot of money...but you could have a drug addiction and have nothing to show for yourself after spending 7k.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

k swaps are really awesome. i finally rode in a k swapped eg hatch, i was speechless... but the price people want for k longblocks and k trannys is strait crazy. defeats the purpose of building a quick swapped honda. cheap, reliable, and an abundance of parts for b series is what got me. went b18c1 and loving it. for under 2k. i dont see k swaps dropping in price anytime soon. hell, i think i'd probably go J series before k, just because of the price and torque.
and im still not completely sold on CTR and ITR swaps. people usually want at least twice as much as normal b16s or b18c1s, just alot of money for slightly better performance and the cool factor of running a type r swap...

but yeah, 7k for ANY honda swap is just retarded. get a gsr or build your ls-v. cams, tuning, valve train, some bottom end stuff. your choice in the end, but remember you have options in the end. i just know that bang for your buck is one of the reasons i got into this honda game.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b series ftw.

If wanna spend 3 times the money, k's rock.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To be honest, ive never been a fan of the H-series motors. I originally wanted to go B18CR just to have a fast ***, stockish motor for a daily driver. That was going to end up costing me around 4000. As i thought about it more and more, i just figured since i have extra money that i might could go for the k24a2 w/ type-s trans since K series is the big dog and all. Personally, i dont think v6's belong in civics but thats just somthing thats bugged me about j-swaps. Yeah, torque is cool and all but isnt it an over kill? I believe that the k24a2 will suffice as far as torque. I figured that i can get the engine, trans and all accessories for around 3000 then the rest is just the parts which comes out to about 4000. Its not incredibley hard, and as its said once before "K-series is the future." I just didnt want to go back in time to the B18CR when i could step it up for only a couple thousand more. Im still sitting on the idea, not 100% commited as of yet, but ill see how things pan out. Im open for ideas and suggestions, i just want to keep my a/c and p/s because thats just the way i am, all luxury lol.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fast *** and Honda usually dont go together properly. Stock B18C-R swap is decent... fast? No, its just decently quick and fun. I could have gone K series for the money Ive spent in my bay. But I dont like the K. Sure it makes more power blah blah blah. I dont care I love B series. I have a JDM 98+ B18C-R. I hate H series, yes you can get a motor more powerful than the B18CR for a fraction of the cost... but its still a **** sounding H series.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
fast *** and Honda usually dont go together properly. Stock B18C-R swap is decent... fast? No, its just decently quick and fun. I could have gone K series for the money Ive spent in my bay. But I dont like the K. Sure it makes more power blah blah blah. I dont care I love B series. I have a JDM 98+ B18C-R. I hate H series, yes you can get a motor more powerful than the B18CR for a fraction of the cost... but its still a **** sounding H series.
I knew someone would flame me on the the "fast ***" part, but reguarless. I want a QUICK daily and my ls/vtec is starting to fall apart so im swapping. Im getting some scholarship money back so im gonna have enough for a swap. Im either doing the 98+ spec B18CR or K-something. Im not going backwards, and i hate H-series too. More complicated than a B but less than a K, so seems like a waste.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't go K-Series. As tempting as it sounds, like you said you want a QUICK daily driver, not a QUICK thief magnet. B18c will suffice, although bigger displacement with more torque is better. For 7k you could get the B18c-R in your hatch and have left over money for whatever. FWD cars will never be "fast" unless you dump major money in it. And my definition of fast is to get as close the R35 GT-R in Nurburgring lap times. =]
Old 08-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can do a j for cheaper then a k i personally love the b series im running a b18c-r in my ek coupe i love it
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well as far as thieves go, i live in Tennessee and ive never heard of a honda getting stolen around here. I like the b18cR and all im just dying for that 6 speed trans.... i still cant decide. Even though this is my daily i will be doing some track events with it when i buy some decent tires to do so.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DualCam_V
I like the b18cR and all im just dying for that 6 speed trans.... i still cant decide. Even though this is my daily i will be doing some track events with it when i buy some decent tires to do so.
Those 6 speed trannys are no where near as tough as a B-series. They're downright delicate. ITRs are overall a better quality engine and transmission, not as powerful, but they will last.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D3vin
Don't go K-Series. As tempting as it sounds, like you said you want a QUICK daily driver, not a QUICK thief magnet. B18c will suffice, although bigger displacement with more torque is better. For 7k you could get the B18c-R in your hatch and have left over money for whatever. FWD cars will never be "fast" unless you dump major money in it. And my definition of fast is to get as close the R35 GT-R in Nurburgring lap times. =]
FWD cars will never be fast? wtf are you talking about. engine/drivetrain configuration has nothing to do with how fast a car is going to be. just because a car is FWD doesnt meant its slow. a car with AWD or RWD isnt automatically fast. all platforms have potential to be "fast". most of our beloved hondas werent meant for what we are building them for anyways, so what people are doing with hondas is amazing either way. comparing a budget built honda to a expensive R35 GT-R is dumb...
Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think i have made the decision to go with the b18cR swap since it is my daily/weekend track car. I just really want to get into the 200whp mark, but with bolt ons and some good tuning ill get really close. I think with the extra money ill just get another set of wheels with some R compund street tires, some ground control coilover sleeves (for my konis), and fix my rear quarter rust spot with a new paint job. Ill save the k24a2 for when i have the money to build a real track car.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LS-turboner
FWD cars will never be fast? wtf are you talking about. engine/drivetrain configuration has nothing to do with how fast a car is going to be. just because a car is FWD doesnt meant its slow. a car with AWD or RWD isnt automatically fast. all platforms have potential to be "fast". most of our beloved hondas werent meant for what we are building them for anyways, so what people are doing with hondas is amazing either way. comparing a budget built honda to a expensive R35 GT-R is dumb...
yeah it is a pretty stupid comparison, i wouldnt want a GT-R reguardless, they just arent my cup of tea. Id rather have a z06 or something. Honda has came a hell of a long way though, I love mine it just needs a new heart lol.