Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM B16B/P28 using Crome: Backfiring, hesitation, bogging

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM B16B/P28 using Crome: Backfiring, hesitation, bogging

Ok so where to begin. This is strange as it is an intermittant problem and does not do this all the time. Well, the backfiring does happen all the time.

I will list the specs on the car first

JDM B16B- stock except for CAI

P28 using crome

here is what I have done to the car

New cap rotor and plugs( wires were new when the motor was installed)

rechecked ECU setup. Everything is dead on as far as that goes, AFR is correct, everything. Injectors are good( just replaced them in June). Thermostat is good-replaced last November when car was in shop for motor swap.

O2 sensor was replaced in July

The backfiring occurs when letting off the throttle( it sounds like a le-mans car when downshifting and you see flames- if you can picture that). The hesitation/bogging can occur at random times, mostly after I have been idling and accelerate away from a stop light. I am planning on Seafoaming the intake tomorrow and changing plugs and oil at the same time.

The other thing is, with the B16B I still have the stock D-series exhaust( converter and all. I am getting this taken care of tomorrow at Midas(new high-flow cat with 2.5 inch exhaust) as well as asking the tech who owns a Type-R swapped Integra to look at it for me.( similar motors, so hopefully he MIGHT have some answers).

The only other two things I can think of other than the above is the TPS and MAP sensors.

Also, when idling there is a lope to the idle. I hesitate to call it a rough idle as the tachometer stays steady at idle( around 800 and is not too obnoxious) If I rev the motor at a light( even just blipping the throttle) I have noticed it will NOT hesitate. It still runs ok when at WOT, and VTEC still works great( hits hard at 6500 RPM).

Any educated guesses as to what the heck this might be? I have searched the forums and found similar problems, but nothing that matches anything like what I have described.

Thanks in advance for your help...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Backfiring, hesitation, bogging.

Anyone?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the backfiring on decel, is the fuelcut working when you leave off the throttle?

also have you enough ignition timing in the no load sites of the map (where it is on decel)

i have 0 degrees in those sites just to get the pops and flames going! :D
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fuel cut? could you explain?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

As mentioned above, check the ignition timing with a timing light.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, based on the information, would I be looking at advancing or retarding the timing?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ScottF
Ok, based on the information, would I be looking at advancing or retarding the timing?
First check the base timing with the service connector jumped. Does the pointer align with the red mark (middle in group of three) on crank pulley?

When the engine is decelerating and the throttle is closed, the ECU should prevent the injectors from spraying any gas into the cylinders (=fuel cut off).
Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
First check the base timing with the service connector jumped. Does the pointer align with the red mark (middle in group of three) on crank pulley?

When the engine is decelerating and the throttle is closed, the ECU should prevent the injectors from spraying any gas into the cylinders (=fuel cut off).
how do I check fuel cut off? I am not sure how to do that unless I plug the ECU into a computer... is there a way to do it without having to resort to that?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do I check fuel cut off? I am not sure how to do that unless I plug the ECU into a computer... is there a way to do it without having to resort to that?
Not sure how you would check it without a computer hooked up.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Trial User

Default Re: JDM B16B/P28 using Crome: Backfiring, hesitation, bogging

Ok so where to begin. This is strange as it is an intermittant problem and does not do this all the time. Well, the backfiring does happen all the time.

I will list the specs on the car first

JDM B16B- stock except for CAI

P28 using crome

here is what I have done to the car

New cap rotor and plugs( wires were new when the motor was installed)

rechecked ECU setup. Everything is dead on as far as that goes, AFR is correct, everything. Injectors are good( just replaced them in June). Thermostat is good-replaced last November when car was in shop for motor swap.

O2 sensor was replaced in July

The backfiring occurs when letting off the throttle( it sounds like a le-mans car when downshifting and you see flames- if you can picture that). The hesitation/bogging can occur at random times, mostly after I have been idling and accelerate away from a stop light. I am planning on Seafoaming the intake tomorrow and changing plugs and oil at the same time.

The other thing is, with the B16B I still have the stock D-series exhaust( converter and all. I am getting this taken care of tomorrow at Midas(new high-flow cat with 2.5 inch exhaust) as well as asking the tech who owns a Type-R swapped Integra to look at it for me.( similar motors, so hopefully he MIGHT have some answers).

The only other two things I can think of other than the above is the TPS and MAP sensors.

Also, when idling there is a lope to the idle. I hesitate to call it a rough idle as the tachometer stays steady at idle( around 800 and is not too obnoxious) If I rev the motor at a light( even just blipping the throttle) I have noticed it will NOT hesitate. It still runs ok when at WOT, and VTEC still works great( hits hard at 6500 RPM).

Any educated guesses as to what the heck this might be? I have searched the forums and found similar problems, but nothing that matches anything like what I have described.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Hi

I am from South Africa and drive a 1994 Honda Ballade 180i(otherwise known as a Civic sedan).In the car is a B18B3 engine with a P34 ecu.I have also been experiencing the same symptoms as you and searched high and low.The MAP sensor was changed 3 times and the TPS was also replaced.Only after I changed the FUEL filter did the problm go away.Make sure that your fuel filter is open,simply remove and blow through the inlet side and see if you can do that.If you have difficulty doing so,replace the filter.The symptoms that you are experiencing could be fuel starvation and might also be coil related .

Good luck
Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FunflySA
Hi

I am from South Africa and drive a 1994 Honda Ballade 180i(otherwise known as a Civic sedan).In the car is a B18B3 engine with a P34 ecu.I have also been experiencing the same symptoms as you and searched high and low.The MAP sensor was changed 3 times and the TPS was also replaced.Only after I changed the FUEL filter did the problm go away.Make sure that your fuel filter is open,simply remove and blow through the inlet side and see if you can do that.If you have difficulty doing so,replace the filter.The symptoms that you are experiencing could be fuel starvation and might also be coil related .

Good luck
Thanks, however, I replaced the fuel filter in June, I also checked the coil and replaced rotor ,cap and wires and plugs...
Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I checked the plugs earlier, they seem to be normal, but I replaced them today to be safe.