Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM B16a takes FOREVER to warm up

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 JDM B16a takes FOREVER to warm up

I have a eg hatch with a 95 jdm b16a SiR II (del sol vtec) and it takes forever to warm up and get to operating tempature. I was reading in honda tuning more about thermostats. Im not sure what thermostat is in the motor but would getting one that opens like 10 degrees later help the car to warm up to operating temp faster???

car was stored over winter so this is in spring summer and fall taht the engine takes foreverrrr to warm up

my winter beater eg coupe with d16z6 warms up in like 3 to 4 minuates and my hatch with b16 takes like 10+
Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM B16a takes FOREVER to warm up

bumpp
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a oem type thermo and burp your cooling system, a cheap, quick first try
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ I agree, your thermo is probably sticking, does it warm up eventually?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how long is forever? most older hondas take a while, but thermo may be stuck open
Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sextav6
how long is forever? most older hondas take a while, but thermo may be stuck open
he said it takes 10+ min. its about what my b16 takes, but thats only when its like zero degrees outside. although if it has been sitting all winter i guess it could be stuck
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I stored my car for the winter, and my t-stat was stuck for a couple weeks for some reason. I was getting ready to buy a new t-stat, and then it opened up... Also, how cold is the weather right now? My swap takes like 3 mins to get to operating temp now with 30ish degree weather, and faster when it's warmer. Keep in mind we have small motors, so when moving (if not climbing in the RPM's), it will actually cool off instead of completely warm up.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wouldn't surprise me if he's running with no tstat
Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most likely a stuck open T-stat
Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even in wisconsin summers it takes forever to warm up (10+ min) and wouldnt running no t stat make it warm up faster??
Old 03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could also be your coolant temp sensor. if a new thermostat doesnt fix it, its like the CTS.

A faulty coolant temp sensor sends the wrong info to your temperature gauge.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you turn on your car it takes forever to warm up? That "warming up" thing people do before they start driving is pointless, its just a waste of gas and you can start driving right after you start your car.... or so my auto teacher says.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_ek_noob
When you turn on your car it takes forever to warm up? That "warming up" thing people do before they start driving is pointless, its just a waste of gas and you can start driving right after you start your car.... or so my auto teacher says.
You might want to slap that teacher of yours. During winter time it is a must to wam up your car (this does not go for warm climate states), during summer and fall it is not much of a necessity but it is still a good idea to let the oil circulate the motor for a good minute before driving of.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuhniee
even in wisconsin summers it takes forever to warm up (10+ min) and wouldnt running no t stat make it warm up faster??
if its stuck open, then instead of heating a small amount of coolant, its heating the entire system..

look at it like this, which would take longer to boil, a 1/2 cup of water, or 5 gallons of water
Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dontoh
if its stuck open, then instead of heating a small amount of coolant, its heating the entire system..

look at it like this, which would take longer to boil, a 1/2 cup of water, or 5 gallons of water
really good point makes sense now and i like letting it warm up so i dont **** anything up not like i do that every time i drive but definatly before i beat on it
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trollinator
You might want to slap that teacher of yours. During winter time it is a must to wam up your car (this does not go for warm climate states), during summer and fall it is not much of a necessity but it is still a good idea to let the oil circulate the motor for a good minute before driving of.
You might want to check your sources before calling a TEACHER out of all people wrong. No matter what the time of year, letting your car "warm up" is actually more harmful than getting in and driving it. The only thing letting it warm up does is waste your time, and accelerate carbon build up. What is the different between sitting in your driveway and letting your car warm up, and driving it at low RPMs?

I get in my car, turn the key, let of my clutch, then take my hands of the key. Just get in and drive it, as long as you don't rev to 8k while your engine is cold, you'll be fine. There's nothing wrong with getting in and driving, while shifting at 2-3k. Your car will still warm up, just faster..

As far as letting your oil circulate, it doesn't take a minute for it to circulate. You're engine will be nice and lubricated within seconds of letting it run.

However, I'm pretty sure VTEC won't engage (if it matters) unless your car is at operating temp. And that's for a good reason.

Basically-
get in your car and drive
letting it warm up in your drive way is worse for your motor
dont have a lead foot, take it easy until your at normal temp

Originally Posted by Kuhniee
really good point makes sense now and i like letting it warm up so i dont **** anything up not like i do that every time i drive but definatly before i beat on it
Yeah, see above :p
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not saying i sit in the drive way wating im just saying that in general it take forever for the motor to get to operating temp in general. weather im driving rite away or its been running for a few minuates
my question was why would it take so long?
i dont have a lead foot i was simply asking why it might take so long to get to operating temp
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was just trying to explain something to trollinator, nothing was directed to you. But I'd def change your thermostat and bleed the system. Give it a try tomorrow and let us know if it helps.. Also, you can just take your thermostat out and test it.. Google this:

Temperature your OEM thermostat SHOULD open..
How to test a thermostat
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORLY? the manual states that warming up your car is unnesecary and is just a waste of gas. It's widely accepted that warming up your modern car is useless.

You start the car. You drive slowly for the first few miles till the temp gauge starts moving. Then you drive normally as it starts warming up. Why the eff do you need to warm up your car? Unless it's WAY into the negatives...like arctic temperatures, it's really not recommended to warm it up.

In arctic ridiculous temps, you might need a minute or two. Most people have this misconception that you need like 10 mins to warm up a car. Wrong.

OP, you probably have a thermostat that is stuck open. That's most likely why it takes forever to warm up. Try changing out the thermostat. Buy an OEM one. It comes with a new gasket that actually fits/seals. They're only like $20 or so.

The thermostat is located where the lower radiator hose attaches to the head of the motor. Take off the 2 10mm bolts. Remove the thermostat (might need to be pried out slightly) and install your new one. Enjoy warming up quickly.

With a half sized radiator, your B series should warm up pretty quick....not quite as quick as the D series does for whatever reason...but quick.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You do have to give your engine time to warm up but it shouldn't take a long time to do it. I have a 92 hatch with a b16 n it. It doesn't take very long to warm up tho. I say your thermostat is stuck. You do have to give the oil n your engine time to work its way through the motor. But that only takes a few min tho
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're saying it takes a few MINUTES for oil to circulate?!

Why does the honda owner's manual discourage warming up the car then?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:34 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OP about how long does it take to get up to temp if you start and drive off?
In other words, how long is "forever" like you previously stated?

I agree that a new OE t-stat and a coolant system burp is not a bad idea.

You might want to slap that teacher of yours. During winter time it is a must to wam up your car (this does not go for warm climate states)
Originally Posted by Queasel
You do have to give your engine time to warm up but it shouldn't take a long time to do it.
Both of you are wrong, or just trolling.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol at how everyone has stated in the last 20 posts what i said in the beginning (replace t-stat, burp). no need to let ur car warm up unless u dont want to get ur pansy little fingers cold
Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For anyone that thinks it takes a few minutes, if you've ever done a oil change on a car with an oil pressure gauge, it takes about 5 seconds (from startup after an oil change) for the pressure to be about normal. Now, I'm not 100% if that directly reflects how well the oil has circulated, but I'm pretty sure it means you're all good lol
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i drive it wars up faster than sitting still but it still is much longer id say still close to ten minuates. Im going to look into getting a oem thermostat.

Quick Reply: JDM B16a takes FOREVER to warm up