Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM B16A INTO 95 EX AUTO -- WHAT PARTS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 JDM B16A INTO 95 EX AUTO -- WHAT PARTS?

Hello all- I just bought a jdm b16a "complete swap" from somewhere which is going to include the motor, auto trans, ecu, and engine accessories... I have searched all over the internet and I just seem to find an overload of information on the subject, each with different misleading information. I need to know EXACTLY what AXLES (94-01 integra?) I need to get to fit my car now, what motor mounts (because I have heard some of my stock ones will fit), and what to do about the harness? I have heard to use my stock EX harness, but will it reach ok since the JDM motors are for right hand drive? I know I have to do some custom wiring for the knock sensor, and the IAB I think right? Since it is an auto tranny and my car is auto now, my linkage should work just fine right? Are there any other parts that I need to be made aware of to put on my shopping list before I attempt this swap? Thanks guys
Old 09-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM B16A INTO 95 EX AUTO WHAT PARTS?

if you havent done a swap before
you should have a friend whos done a swap before help you out ....
going head in to something like this with out excperience is going to be hard
Old 09-27-2010, 04:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i will answer a few of your questions...

- you need axles from an automatic integra (DC4 which is an LS) , because GsR's only came manual
- as for motor mounts you can use the drivers side you have, you need a b series rear t bracket and mount. and im not sure what passenger side trans mount you need considering its an automatic but im guessing you will get that with the swap
- you can use a d16z6 automatic harness (your stock one) and it will be plug and play. they only thing you will have to extend is the 4 wires for the o2. the motor being from a RHD car has NOTHING to do with the harness plugging in. the only difference is the shock tower plugs are on opposite sides.
- as for your shopping list get some oil and a filter, a new timing belt and plugs/ wires while its out of the car so you will not have to worry in the future
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No your harness is not going to be a problem use your stock single cam harness. your gonna need
94-01 integra
Driver side mount
Front Torque mounts
94-01 integra LS AUTOMATIC
Passanger side mount
Rear Mount

You use 94-01 LS axels and midshaft. Your gonna need to find a B16 auto ecu If you dont have one. its gonna be a intristing swap. My buddie had one of the first b20z automatic swaps in his 4 door EG that thing was quick. went through trannys like crazy tho lol.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM B16A INTO 95 EX AUTO -- WHAT PARTS?

lol fv8s I was typing up my post right before you posted I just noticed we said about the same thing lol.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of things that need clarification...
Use B series axles, Integra LS auto and manual are exactly the same, even same P/N.
B series auto T bracket(Manual is different)
B series auto mid shaft(Manual is different)
Reuse your Auto engine harness and extend your O2 sensore wires as stated, but you will also need to run 1 wire to the ecu for your knock sensor.

If your missing parts, mounts, etc. hit me up, I have a complete OBD1 B16A auto trans with all 3 trans side mounts, starter, etc sitting in my shop.

How complete is the swap you bought? Most auto swaps come with everything you need.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have done swaps before on plenty of cars, just not a B16 into an EG thats all. So I know my way around motors and electronics, just needed to know the exact parts I would need for THIS swap.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: JDM B16A INTO 95 EX AUTO -- WHAT PARTS?

Originally Posted by tlarimer
A couple of things that need clarification...
Use B series axles, Integra LS auto and manual are exactly the same, even same P/N.
B series auto T bracket(Manual is different)
B series auto mid shaft(Manual is different)
Reuse your Auto engine harness and extend your O2 sensore wires as stated, but you will also need to run 1 wire to the ecu for your knock sensor.

If your missing parts, mounts, etc. hit me up, I have a complete OBD1 B16A auto trans with all 3 trans side mounts, starter, etc sitting in my shop.

How complete is the swap you bought? Most auto swaps come with everything you need.
GREAT! Thanks for the help guys I should be just fine then! I am pulling out my D15B turbo cuz it blew from too much boost lol. I already extended the O2 sensor harness to reach the turbo downpipe so Im good there.

-I will goto autozone to get the axles from a 94-01 LS auto integra.

-Where can I get the auto b series T bracket for it?

-The b series auto midshaft I was told is coming with the motor/trans.

-I guess I can just look online I have come across plenty of threads and pages on how to wire up the knock sensor. But what about this IAB thing I have heard of? What exactly is that and what does it do? Is it like the IAC or IAT? Just never heard of it. I will have to wire that up as well correct?

-I am supposed to be getting a P30 automatic ecu with the motor/trans setup I was told so that should not be a worry. Even if I dont, I have an auto P28 from my D16Z6 that I already chipped and use a P30 basemap in crome for my turbo setup so I should be ok with that.

Anything else I should consider like the shifter linkage? That SHOULD fit right up to the B series auto trans correct?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I do not think this swap is going to be a drop in, bolt up affair like it's being touted.

My shop did an auto LS swap into a 98 Civic chassis and we ran into a number of issues, the biggest being that:

THE AUTO B SERIES TRANSMISSION IS MUCH LARGER IN SIZE THAN THE AUTO D OR MANUAL B TRANNY

The auto B tranny we were installing would not clear the passenger side frame rail - period. We made the customer sign a waiver because we had to notch and reweld/box in the frame rail to make clearance for the end of the tranny case. Also we had to completely fab up the rear bracket and topside transmission mount/bracket too as no stock Acura nor Honda mount bracket/mount combo allowed for a clean install. Trust me we tried them all. i have a feeling that your swap ain't happening without someone who is skilled with a welder and a plasma cutter.

I know our swap was in a 96-00 Civic, but I cannot see how the 92-95 USDM Civic chassis would have any more clearances.

For those of you stating which mounts, etc. so matter-of-factly have you actually DONE a complete B series auto swap in the 92-95 Civic chassis?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You make an interesting point but the motor is already paid for and on its way here so I am gonna try and I guess if you are right, then I've got a problem on my hands so lets all hope ur wrong lol (about the 92-95 chassis)

I would just obviously do a 5 speed, I would actually LOVE to. But I am in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down so I have to use my hands to drive with a little lever under the wheel that connects to the gas/brake and I use a suicide **** to steer. Hand controls for me to drive a manual transmission would cost over 5 grand so its not worth it to do on a civic for me. Believe me, I would LOVE to be able to drive stick again. All my cars before I got hurt were 5 speed and I loved every minute of it.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Funanin
You make an interesting point but the motor is already paid for and on its way here so I am gonna try and I guess if you are right, then I've got a problem on my hands so lets all hope ur wrong lol (about the 92-95 chassis)

I would just obviously do a 5 speed, I would actually LOVE to. But I am in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down so I have to use my hands to drive with a little lever under the wheel that connects to the gas/brake and I use a suicide **** to steer. Hand controls for me to drive a manual transmission would cost over 5 grand so its not worth it to do on a civic for me. Believe me, I would LOVE to be able to drive stick again. All my cars before I got hurt were 5 speed and I loved every minute of it.
I am not saying it's impossible. I'm just telling you to be prepared for some potential "issues" that I've not seen mentioned here. Like I stated before for anyone who was telling you what parts will be needed - please tell us if you've actually done one of these swaps.

I do hope I'm wrong, but I've just got this feeling...

As far as your situation goes I saw a B16A auto swap in a Civic coupe back in 2000. Very similar situation to yours too, medically speaking. The owner of the car was paralyzed and used hand controls, etc. This being 10 years ago, and at a street race (I know, I know) he did not leave the hood open long enough for me to examine the mounts, etc. He even had nitrous on it lol. I did not know the guy very well enough to go into swap details.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally have not done the swap myself, but have seen a few over the years. And yes the DC auto is bigger than the EG auto and doesn't clear the frame rail without some massaging, but the EG auto D and B both share the same trans M24A. The exterior difference is the bell housing section from what I understand after talking with the guys who HAVE done this swap and it was pretty much a drop in affair. Unlike the EK 96-00 chassis which has a seperate TCM and wiring headache, the EG chassis has the TCM built into the P30 ECU and the wiring is identical to the USDM EG auto's.

OP, I think you should go for it as there have been quite a few people, including some guys here on H-T, that have done this swap. Take pictures, document and do a DIY.

The whole debate I have seen is over the passenger side trans mount.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by tlarimer
I personally have not done the swap myself, but have seen a few over the years. And yes the DC auto is bigger than the EG auto and doesn't clear the frame rail without some massaging, but the EG auto D and B both share the same trans M24A. The exterior difference is the bell housing section from what I understand after talking with the guys who HAVE done this swap and it was pretty much a drop in affair. Unlike the EK 96-00 chassis which has a seperate TCM and wiring headache, the EG chassis has the TCM built into the P30 ECU and the wiring is identical to the USDM EG auto's.

OP, I think you should go for it as there have been quite a few people, including some guys here on H-T, that have done this swap. Take pictures, document and do a DIY.

The whole debate I have seen is over the passenger side trans mount.
If you know some people with first hand experience perhaps you could point them in this direction so they could better help Funanin. I think something like a frame rail mod, no matter how small, is extremely important to mention in this topic. If one were reading your parts list one would (wrongfully) assume it's a bolt in affair with no issues to work out. I'm not picking on you, but that's an important tidbit of info the OP needs to know going into it.

...and damn you're right about the wiring on an EK as far as TCM and ECU goes. I was about 8 years younger when my shop did the swap, and the tech doing it cursed each and every day he worked on that swap until it left. I do not know what they did about wiring.

Last edited by B18C5-EH2; 09-27-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
If you know some people with first hand experience perhaps you could point them in this direction so they could better help Funanin.

...and damn you're right about the wiring on an EK as far as TCM and ECU goes. I was about 8 years younger when my shop did the swap, and the tech doing it cursed each and every day he worked on that swap until it left. I do not know what they did about wiring.
I can try and get ahold of one guy I know in CA who did this swap, not close personal friends, but I am in WY now. I do know that the trans control and wiring is identical between the JDM B16A auto and USDM D16Z6 auto, I tracked the wires when I got my B16A auto swap. I got the cabin, engine bay and engine harness all uncut, but RHD...
Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: JDM B16A INTO 95 EX AUTO -- WHAT PARTS?

wow! excellent replies guys! I thank all of you that posted about the subject- im just glad a fight didnt start and basically jack my thread with a stupid quarrel lol. Anyway- about the trans fitting in... suppose it does end up becoming a real tight fit and it absolutely WILL NOT go in without some modification... What would be the consequences of either beating the frame rail in with a sledge hammer, or worse yet, cutting part of it out to fit the trans? I know cutting it definitly would not be good, but if I cut the side and then welded a separate brace on the bottom and the other side of it to strengthen it like a subframe connector do you think that would work/be ok?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The last thing I think anybody wants to see is bickering or a fight over this, especially due to the lack of good, solid threads on this swap. I don't know enough about any frame mods that may be needed to give you an answer either way.

Like I said, document and photograph the swap so we have a solid understanding of what is involved with this swap from somebody with first hand experience. There have been a few failed swaps using the DC auto into an EG, but none that I could find documented using a B16A M24A auto in an EG, I have seen a few, but never really asked questions. I for one would be interested in this as well, since I already have the complete auto swap sitting in my shop, it might be time to locate a auto EG myself...
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok- will do and I will start posting the pix and captions (sequence of events) on this thread so check back in a few days to see if the thread has updates! Thanks again fellas
Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One of my friends had an automatic b16a into an eg 4dr back in high school...granted the swap was done 7 years ago i clearly remember everything worked EXCEPT the passenger side mount which had to be fabbed.

Clearance of the frame rail wasn't an issue
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it can be done. I personaly help put a b20z auto swap into a 4 door eg and it was a tight fit i can tell you that lol. we had to dent the frame rail on the passanger side. and once it was all done you could not fit a piece of paper in between the tranz and the frame rail.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: JDM B16A INTO 95 EX AUTO -- WHAT PARTS?

ok well im way into it now... I have the old motor out and ive been prepping the new b16a to go in. Just cleaning it up a little and removing all the old cut up wires and hoses. Now I am just about ready to drop the thing in. I measured the length of the entire setup compared to my existing D15B with auto trans setup and they were almost identical in length so I cant see how this setup is going to fit any differently than my stock one but ill let you know.

The next thing I am concerned with is the custom wiring I have to do to my stock harness. What is involved and what do I need to splice in? I already have vtec so that should plug right in correct? The only thing I can SEE thats different on the B16A from my D16Z6 is that the B motor has a knock sensor, and on the auto trans there are 2 extra sensors with pigtails coming from them that need to plug into something. ??? What do these plug into? It is 2 sensors basically on the very end of the tranny, neither of which were on my stock trans. It has the OTHER 2 sensors that plug in as well, (which my stock harness will plug into fine), but I need to know what these other 2 are for?

I dont need to worry about IAB because that is only on the B18C GSR motors correct? I cant see any type of baffling system on the stock B16A intake manifold.

Anyway- the wiring is all im worried about right now. Anybody got any swap guides or wiring guides for doing this swap with an auto trans? Thanks guys-
Old 10-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Whats the trans code? I was under the impression that it was M24A (like a D-series) and only had the 2 lockup solenoids (B16A automatic only, all other B-series trannys had other stuff)
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me double check on that, it might NOT be an M24A but its at my shop so it will have to wait till tomorrow when I get back up there...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Funanin
Let me double check on that, it might NOT be an M24A but its at my shop so it will have to wait till tomorrow when I get back up there...
As I recall its kind of imperative that it be an M24A for it to work.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok I forgot to actually write it down last night when I was up there but I did glance at it while i was working and its NOT an M24A. Now I ordered this motor from a jdm distributor out in CA and the motor was shipped from Montreal Canada from Osaka japanese engines so it must have been imported directly from japan to montreal. Reason being, it had the auto trans that came with it attached and came as one unit. This was the original trans from whatever the motor was in. (I am guessing it was an EG civic Si-R but I may be wrong. I will be sure to write down that code tonite when I go up there but the trans looks almost identical to my stock D series automatic trans except for the extra sensors on it.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyway you can get pictures of the engine/trans assembly? There should be a date stamp indicating what year the engine was made above the exhaust manifold. I am doubting they sent you a OBD1 engine/trans, but pictures will confirm.

Quick Reply: JDM B16A INTO 95 EX AUTO -- WHAT PARTS?