Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM B16A into 94 EJ1 Charcoal Canister

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Default JDM B16A into 94 EJ1 Charcoal Canister

I have a JDM B16A in my 94 EJ1 (EX) running a JDM P30 ECU (not chipped). It is my understanding that the P30 does not look for a purge valve like my D16Z6 and P28 setup did before the swap. I am still running the charcoal canister from my D16Z6, which has three ports on it. One from the tank, one to the throttle body, and one to the purge valve.

Does anyone know how the JDM B16A was set up with a charcoal canister? I found this one online:
92-95 Civic Eg6 Purge / Charcoal Canister

So it looks like that one is simply from tank --> charcoal canister --> throttle body. Must be the throttle body then controls how much vacuum to put on the charcoal canister to remove the vapors? Is it really as simple as swapping my charcoal canister out for one that just has an input and output and the throttle body handles the vacuum automatically?

Does anyone have one of those canisters shown above? I can't find one anywhere. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JDM B16A into 94 EJ1 Charcoal Canister

I was in the same boat wheather or not to remove it. But apparently it will throw a code so I hesitated. Im in for the same.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

No OBD1 looks for either of those components and neither will throw a code
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
No OBD1 looks for either of those components and neither will throw a code
My D16Z6 was OBD1 and had a purge valve.

I'm aware the B16A OBD1 P30 doesn't look for the purge valve, but I do believe that the JDM SIR-II with the B16A had a charcoal canister of some sort like the one posted above. Trying to figure out how it works.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just put a vacuum cap on mine and removed the line that runs from the canister to the purge valve, I did it in both my cars that I had the swap in, 93 si and 94 ex
Old 12-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by wxman94ej1
I have a JDM B16A in my 94 EJ1 (EX) running a JDM P30 ECU (not chipped). It is my understanding that the P30 does not look for a purge valve like my D16Z6 and P28 setup did before the swap. I am still running the charcoal canister from my D16Z6, which has three ports on it. One from the tank, one to the throttle body, and one to the purge valve.

Does anyone know how the JDM B16A was set up with a charcoal canister? I found this one online:
92-95 Civic Eg6 Purge / Charcoal Canister

So it looks like that one is simply from tank --> charcoal canister --> throttle body. Must be the throttle body then controls how much vacuum to put on the charcoal canister to remove the vapors? Is it really as simple as swapping my charcoal canister out for one that just has an input and output and the throttle body handles the vacuum automatically?

Does anyone have one of those canisters shown above? I can't find one anywhere. Thanks in advance.
This looks like what my '96 B18C1 would use! They never got any more back in stock?
Old 12-14-2016, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
This looks like what my '96 B18C1 would use! They never got any more back in stock?
I had a heck of a time finding one from Hmotorsonline, this place (JSH motors) and I even called M's JDM motors too. I actually ordered one from JSH because their website said "IN STOCK" (at the time), but they sent me one that was different than pictured. They were cool about it and refunded my $ without question so it wasn't a problem I was just bummed I couldn't find one.

Finally more recently, I lucked out with Hmotorsonline. They had a JDM EG2 (Del Sol) front clip that came with an OBD1 B16A and I asked them if I could buy just the charcoal canister. They said they usually sell them with the firewall cut (entire front clip), but I was able to pay a little more and get them to sell it to me. Here are some photos:

I also collected a few charcoal canisters from various other Honda's at the local Pick and Pull that had a single entry and exit point on the canister. I think these were from a late model Prelude. I never tested these, since ultimately I wanted the correct canister for my motor/chassis. I'd be happy to give you these to try or have to use for your setup. The concern I had was whether or not these canisters I got from the Prelude's required a purge valve, or whether the throttle body vacuum was enough to make it work (since mine is JDM B16A OBD1, I don't have a purge valve). I think you have a purge so maybe one of these would work for you? I will post a picture of those when I can get some pictures at home.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

I had a heck of a time finding one from Hmotorsonline, this place (JSH motors) and I even called M's JDM motors too. I actually ordered one from JSH because their website said "IN STOCK" (at the time), but they sent me one that was different than pictured. They were cool about it and refunded my $ without question so it wasn't a problem I was just bummed I couldn't find one.

Finally more recently, I lucked out with Hmotorsonline. They had a JDM EG2 (Del Sol) front clip that came with an OBD1 B16A and I asked them if I could buy just the charcoal canister. They said they usually sell them with the firewall cut (entire front clip), but I was able to pay a little more and get them to sell it to me. Here are some photos:

I also collected a few charcoal canisters from various other Honda's at the local Pick and Pull that had a single entry and exit point on the canister. I think these were from a late model Prelude. I never tested these, since ultimately I wanted the correct canister for my motor/chassis. I'd be happy to give you these to try or have to use for your setup. The concern I had was whether or not these canisters I got from the Prelude's required a purge valve, or whether the throttle body vacuum was enough to make it work (since mine is JDM B16A OBD1, I don't have a purge valve). I think you have a purge so maybe one of these would work for you? I will post a picture of those when I can get some pictures at home.
Thanks!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Curious if the p/n for this matches any other vehicles. Possibly not in North America but perhaps a lot of 5G FI JDM Civics had a similar setup?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:56 PM
On vacation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by egsleepercivic
I just put a vacuum cap on mine and removed the line that runs from the canister to the purge valve, I did it in both my cars that I had the swap in, 93 si and 94 ex
This is the correct answer.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Curious if the p/n for this matches any other vehicles. Possibly not in North America but perhaps a lot of 5G FI JDM Civics had a similar setup?
I am not sure there was a car in North America to ever come equipped with this charcoal canister. Based on using jp-carparts.com, I was able to locate this number 17300-SR3-003. It looks like most 5G FI civics (including the EJ1, the coupe) came with this part number but only the Japan parts sites hit when using Google. I suspect in North America a purge solenoid was required to meet EPA emissions requirements. Despite this chassis being pre-OBD2, I still think there were emissions requirements for new vehicles at the time. However, this is just a guess and I have no real evidence to support this thinking other than no domestic parts sites finding this number.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Thanks!
I am going to reply to your build thread with info since it's specific to your setup which is different than this thread.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

I am going to reply to your build thread with info since it's specific to your setup which is different than this thread.
Thanks. I know this isn't a very exciting topic for our Hondas...