Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM b16 del sol SI swap - transmission replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM b16 del sol SI swap - transmission replacement questions

ok, so i am the proud owner of a JDM b16 del sol SI swap,but as i grow closer to my turbo i have a few problems i need to fix. i think the biggest ordeal i have right now is my tranny grinds terribly at high rpm when i try to shift quickly from 2nd into 3rd, and it grinds a little bit from 1st into second, 90% of the time i end up missing the shift into 3rd beacuse of this. so it's time for a new tranny and new clutch. my problem is due to my tranny being a GSR transmission i dont think ill be able to unbolt the tranny and simply drop it out of the bottom, i dont think there is enough room for that too happen, anyone with experience in dropping a tranny out of a del sol can you offer any help or guidance?
then my second question is, does anyone know if a B16 transmission is physically smaller than the GSR?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM b16 del sol SI swap - transmission replacement questions

Anyone got any insight?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My son has a B20 with a B16 trans in his 95 Del Sol. When we put it in we did it all at once with the trans already attached to the engine.
I have changed trans in a D series by dropping it out the bottom, but will never do it again. So much easier to attach when the engine is out of the bay.
Pulling the engine/trans combination on Civics is so easy that I do that instead of hanging over the fender and wrestling with a transmission. Just this past weekend I pulled the engine/trans just to change out the water pump. Didn't want to fight pulling the timing belt, pulley, water pump, etc. in the engine bay. Gave me a good chance to cleanup the engine and the bay while I was at it.

As far as a B16 trans fitting, all B series trans are the same size, just the gear ratios are different. I prefer the GSR or even an LS trans over the B16. Don't like the short final drive in the B16. Over 4000 rpm at 70 miles and hour in fifth is just too much for me.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not the dificult.. i actualy traded my b16 tranny for gsr due to b16 too short.. and i did it in about a time of 3 hr dropping it ... you need to put your delsol in jack stand soo you can go under the car to remove bolts.. just take your time and remember where all the bolts go..
Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can drop it out but you'd have to jack it up super high.
just get a cheap engine lift (150)
label stuff unless you'll remember(label it anyways)
pull it out. and go.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you do decide to replace trans with the engine still on car I'd use a transmission jack to remove/lift the trans unless you are big and burly and have great arm strength or have a second pair of hands.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can swap it out with the motor in thru the bottom, no problem. it is heavy, so youll need a jack of some sort, or ideally a helper.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a friend with me, but you guys who said i could do it with help, do i need to move the motor over? im hearing mixed reply's and im hoping i dont need to, but it just seems impossible to me that ill be able to pull the tranny offa the motor without moving the motor at all
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You will have to: drain trans fluid, remove the suspension parts under the trans for example you can remove the lca and to remove the axles you can either 1)disconnect the tie rod ends and swing the spindles sideways and remove axles or disconnect/pop the lower ball joint off of the spindle and remove the axles or not even remove the axles from the spindles just pop the lower ball joint off of the spindle from the lca and pop the axles from the trans and lay them out of the way. Be aware that other than the #1 method and even using the appropriate ball hoint separator tool(see helms manual) you run the chance of tearing the lower ball joint boot which will produce another task to replace it in itself so you might have to buy. Next would be the trans mounts and once these are removed the engine trans side will tilt down and you will see how much easier it will be room wise. Helms manual is your friend and no you will not have to move the engine at all, I have done this a number of times with manual and automatics btw automatics are monsters in weight.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks fonker, and yeah it's a 5spees lol