Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Jackstands on rear of car....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackstands on rear of car....

I am installing new struts on my '00 Si...

Can I jack up the rear of the car with a floor jack and slip my jackstands onto the two rear supports?

I mean, what is going to keep my car from rolling forward and falling off the jackstands??

Do I need chocks of some sort? Is that even safe?

Or should I do 1 side at a time, with the e-brake on?

Thanks....
Old 10-06-2003, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Jackstands on rear of car.... (SiCK HONDA)

put some 4x4 wood blocks in front of the front tires and you'll be good to go
Old 10-06-2003, 11:23 AM

Well your car is a manual right? I always put my trany in reverse then jack the rear end up and put the jack stands on the jacking points by the side skirts, and it doesn't go any where, but sometimes I also just put the whole car on four jack stands so I know it wont fall or be unstable. Well what ever you do just be careful. Well hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Jackstands on rear of car.... (haccord2.2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haccord2.2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well your car is a manual right? I always put my trany in reverse then jack the rear end up and put the jack stands on the jacking points by the side skirts, and it doesn't go any where, but sometimes I also just put the whole car on four jack stands so I know it wont fall or be unstable. Well what ever you do just be careful. Well hope this helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep... it's a manual... that is what I was concerned about...

I am trying to change my ways and be more careful... There was a guy in my neighborhood who recently got pinned under his bimmer when a floor jack lost pressure...

He almost died, and ended up with Broken Ribs, colapsed lung, broken arm, and internal bleeding... SCARY!

Can you just buy "chocks" at like pep boys?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haccord2.2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well your car is a manual right? I always put my trany in reverse then jack the rear end up and put the jack stands on the jacking points by the side skirts, and it doesn't go any where, but sometimes I also just put the whole car on four jack stands so I know it wont fall or be unstable. Well what ever you do just be careful. Well hope this helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>
what he said
Old 10-06-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiCK HONDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am trying to change my ways and be more careful... There was a guy in my neighborhood who recently got pinned under his bimmer when a floor jack lost pressure...

He almost died, and ended up with Broken Ribs, colapsed lung, broken arm, and internal bleeding... SCARY!

Can you just buy "chocks" at like pep boys?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a friend who saved someone who got stuck under his camaro. him and his dad lifted it off of him before it did any damage.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Jackstands on rear of car.... (middleman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by middleman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have a friend who saved someone who got stuck under his camaro. him and his dad lifted it off of him before it did any damage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is encouraging, but I would rather not have to rely on someone being around to free me....
(Lucky Dude)

I think I'll just take all the proper precautions...
Old 10-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bricks work
Old 10-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put into reverse, with the jackstands under the rear jack points, unless you are laying directly underneath the car kicking it, i don't think you'll hurt anything.

If you are just doing suspension, you really aren't under the car anyway, and all that comes off with just bolts, no violent coercing.
Another solution... Jack up the front and put it on stands too,
Old 10-06-2003, 11:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiCK HONDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you just buy "chocks" at like pep boys?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I know what you mean it is always "better safe than sorry." Well I would think that you can go to pep boys or any auto parts store and buy wheel chocks, if not go to like Sears, or Harbor Freight or any store like that. Well hope this helps, Jordan.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like people said above..put 4x4's in the tires and put it in reverse
Old 10-06-2003, 01:00 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiCK HONDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you just buy "chocks" at like pep boys?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why not just buy two more jackstands?
Old 10-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jackstands on rear of car.... (Targa250R)

and/or put your wheels/tires under the car while it's in the air... that's what i always do even when it's on 4 jackstands...

im scared of getting stuck.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jackstands on rear of car.... (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and/or put your wheels/tires under the car while it's in the air... that's what i always do even when it's on 4 jackstands...

im scared of getting stuck. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Haha, lol. I do that too with my winter wheels and tires. I throw em under the car and put cinder blocks under the car and big coolers all under my car. I don't trust just the 4 stands and jack. I know I overdo it, but I still don't feel 100% safe when I'm under there. Better be safe than sorry.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jackstands on rear of car.... (slvrcivic97)

ya thats a good habit. If you pull the wheels put one under each sill. plus they will be out of the way if you have a small garage space.

get the BIG jackstands too. the ones that AREN'T only 10 inches tall when they are colappsed. The bigger ones have much larger footprints so they are more stable, plus the materials are generally thicker/stronger. i think mine ar 6 ton
Old 10-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jackstands on rear of car.... (Bailhatch)

pretty sure this is covered in the owners manual - of any car.

my advice is to just take it to pep boys and let them do it - you're taking on a project like replacing struts, but don't know how to jack up the car?

Old 10-06-2003, 03:55 PM

why not just buy ramps...
Old 10-06-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (m3dia_lab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m3dia_lab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not just buy ramps...</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's replacing struts he needs the wheels off.

I don't see why you're freaking out over this. When I jack up the rear, I put a jackstand on each side and call it a day. It's pretty stable just like that you shouldn't have any problems.