Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Jacking up my civic...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking up my civic...

Hi all

Soon I plan to bleed the breaks on my 92' Civic and while I am at it I want to rotate the tires. So... I want to know the standard procedure for jacking the car up to put it up on 4 Jack stands.

After reading the manual my idea is that I would jack up the front of the car using the front jack lift platform high enough to put jack stands under the front support points, lower the vehicle down onto them and then do the same for the rear. Do I have it right?

I have a basic idea of how to bleed the breaks also.. I am going to read up on it some more tonight and out of the manual, and I plan to ask a few friends to help me for safety reasons.

So, do I have my jacking plan correct?.. In order to bleed the breaks I need someone in the car operating the break pedal... as long as I get the appropriate jack stands I should be safe under the car doing the bleeding right? lol The more I think about it the more dangerous it sounds (lol) but I have my reasons for wanting to do it myself. Ask if you want.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jacking up my civic... (Paprika)

lol. dood.. its just jacking up a car..

/me shakes his head and walks away
Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jacking up my civic... (DewMota)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DewMota &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol. dood.. its just jacking up a car..

/me shakes his head and walks away</TD></TR></TABLE>

C'mon, at least help the kid, he's trying to do it right.

Yeah, your plan is fine. I always use the central jack point, then put the stands under the side supports for the spare tire jack.

Also, I always do front first, then rear; because sometimes if you have the rear jacked high enough, you can't get the jack under the front lip. Then remove the jack stands in the same order.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to get on 4 jackstands i do the following:

jack front up by the center-beam thingie, stick stands under the two sides. lower jack, head to back, jack from tow hook, put stands under rear supports.

whew!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

i dont know what jack your using, but when i helped me friend rotate his tires (not the break-bleeding) we had to borrow one from my neighbor, i dont know the name of the jack, its like \_. and u crank it up like that, his jack that came with his car did not lift it high enough because of his lowering springs, make sure you break the lug nuts loose (not off) before you put it up, just small things that will save u some time if u skip over them, (not to condescend you on small things just trying to help a brother out ).
Old 08-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't need to break the nuts loose when you have air tools
Old 08-26-2004, 10:26 AM

Also, a good thing to do is while you have the wheels off, just slide them underneath the side of the car just in case. So the car only crushes you halfway and you have time to yelp for help, lol. J/K.

But yeah, do that. When you bleed the brakes, start with the furthest calipers from the MC. GL!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TallAssFilipino)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TallAssFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But yeah, do that. When you bleed the brakes, start with the furthest calipers from the MC. GL!</TD></TR></TABLE>

RR, FL, RL, FR is the correct order.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:35 AM

i thought the bleeding order was
rear passanger
rear driver
front passanger
front driver
Old 08-26-2004, 11:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

RR, FL, RL, FR is the correct order.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey, is your car non-ABS?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought the bleeding order was
rear passanger
rear driver
front passanger
front driver</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, he's right. It's just mine is equipped with ABS and I know you're not supposed to bleed them the same way as non-ABS Civic hatches. I was always told the way you just mentioned: RRear, LRear, RFront, LFront.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys, thank you. I appreciate the support!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Paprika)

When I jack my car up I do it like this:
-Amass my tools
-Put on my ancient illuminati robe
-Light candels all over the garage
-Sacrafice a virgin
-Smear the blood all over the jack handel
-Jack up front from center
-Put jackstand under the side jack points
-Sacrifice another virgin (1 is only good for 2 wheels)
-Once again... blood EVERYWHERE!
-Jack up the rear at the tow hook
-Put jackstands under rear side jack supports
-Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
Old 08-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spyderracing32)

Well right now since I have nothing to do I was outside messing around with my car and noticed that I don't know how to properly remove my hubcaps without damaging them.

I know they're hub caps so don't give my any grief about the possibility of them being rims. Don't think they have any special key or lock that holds them on either..

How to remove my hub caps..
Old 08-26-2004, 06:14 PM

It's a hub cap. Just use a flat head and pry it off. They're inexpensive. Soon you'll get new rims anyways.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HyBriDcxR)

Soon isn't soon enough to employ blatent disreguard for the hub cap's well being (funny I know..), I am not so sure about just prying them off. I noticed they have these hooks that go into the well of the rim and they're forced against it by some metal bar. It's kinda like the metal bar bends so it's close to one of the openings in the hub cap so that you can access it, as if it has something to do with it's removal.

My investigative tactics always pay off!
After investigating the problem I figured out how to safely removed the hub caps and it worked!

Basically I got some nylon rope and put it through on hole in the hubcap and out of the one next to it. This let me pull on one of the hub cap's legs which were connected to the support tabs I mentioned earlier, and a good tug yelded steelies! Yay!

Modified by Paprika at 8:00 PM 8/26/2004
Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Soon isn't soon enough to employ blatent disreguard for the hub cap's well being (funny I know..), I am not so sure about just prying them off. I noticed they have these hooks that go into the well of the rim and they're forced against it by some metal bar. It's kinda like the metal bar bends so it's close to one of the openings in the hub cap so that you can access it, as if it has something to do with it's removal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ummm,well. ahh,nevermind.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (honda9369)

See my last reply, I edited/updated it!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (honda9369)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and a good tug yelded steelies! Yay! Modified by Paprika at 8:00 PM 8/26/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

steelies look better than hubcaps in my opinion... or wheel covers if u wanna be sophisticated about it.... steelies lol
Old 08-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TallAssFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, a good thing to do is while you have the wheels off, just slide them underneath the side of the car just in case. So the car only crushes you halfway and you have time to yelp for help</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is indeed some good advice. If something were to happen, it could mess up your rims but thats much better than your head.

if you are taking all 4 wheels off, it might be a good idea to stack 2 wheels on top of each other on either side if you can jack it up high enough.....

Its good practice anyway.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jefe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jefe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is indeed some good advice. If something were to happen, it could mess up your rims but thats much better than your head.

if you are taking all 4 wheels off, it might be a good idea to stack 2 wheels on top of each other on either side if you can jack it up high enough.....

Its good practice anyway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good theory at first but what happens when the car hits those 2 stacks and then proceeds to tip towards the side you happen to be under?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Pooping on children

tip it back leverage is your friend
Old 08-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BADEG6)

Once it's done tipping over onto whatever (me?), the car may proceed to slide forward a bit.. lets hope that leverage is there for my wellbeing too. Sometimes friends aren't as good of friend as you origininally thought they were.

Also, in the cropped screenshot below from my PDF Honda Civic Service Manual, what do the values underlined in BLUE represent? Is it the bolt size maybe? Cause I need to know what size wrench I need for the bleeder screw. In the meantile I'll go look at it and see if anything i have in my current arsenal matches it's size.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bleeder is a 10mm bolt
Old 08-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95sihb)

The front and back bleeder bolts are not the same size.

I have the proper 5/16" wrench for the rear drum brake bleeder screws but the front ones I didn't have a wrench for... They're either too big or too small.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good theory at first but what happens when the car hits those 2 stacks and then proceeds to tip towards the side you happen to be under? </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why you use jackstands.

Quick Reply: Jacking up my civic...