Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Jack and Stands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack and Stands?

I have a 99 civic ex and need some help on where to position the jack and where to put the stands? I need to do this with all four wheels assuming I can find someone with 2 more stands.

Pictures would be great.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jack and Stands? (HOUSTONb)

Open your owners manual it has all the info in it as to where to jack from the front and back. just put the jack stands where you would place the emergency jack to lift the car. Use the rear tow hook and the front rad core support there will be a raised metal pad to the right of center when looking at the front of the car
Old 06-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jack and Stands? (instructor74)

look under your car. it will be apparent. Right behind the front wheels theres a little bracket on each side then in front of the back wheels there is the same brackets
Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Jack and Stands? (DumpedSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DumpedSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look under your car. it will be apparent. Right behind the front wheels theres a little bracket on each side then in front of the back wheels there is the same brackets</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is where the stands go if you are planning on getting the whole car off the ground
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Jack and Stands? (B16b-EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16b-EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is where the stands go if you are planning on getting the whole car off the ground</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. Put the jack either in front (rear) or back (front) of said brackets. Do this so you have just enough room to place the stands once the car is in the air.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM

Thanks everyone got those mud flaps off. I guess i should have check the owners manual before searching here oh well.

Thanks again
p.s. Where can I find cheap oem 99 si side skirts.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (HOUSTONb)

Is it specifically on this bracket deal for sure?? 'Cause I thought right in front of the rear tire and right in back of the front tire was fine as long as it was on the rail...b/c the rail is what fits into the scissor jack that comes with the car.

Maybe I've had it wrong all these years but the lift at the shop - all I had to do was put it under the rail that sticks out.

Anybody got clarification on this for sure?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HOUSTONb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HOUSTONb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Where can I find cheap oem 99 si side skirts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

For "cheap" and "OEM", I would honestly try the marketplace.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

the jack points are the "rail" you speak of but there are certain spots that are a little thicker/reinforced that are better then just slapping it anywhere under the door.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ridin98civic)

I actually place my stands under the pivot points of the lower control arms. I have never had problems. But I have seen those "tabs" by the wheels bend under load.

I use my jack in the front by the rad support to lift both sides and in the back on the tow hook. I don't lift very high by doing this but more for an even lift.

Otherwise I lift one side at a time to get her really high in the air so I can roll around under the car.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it specifically on this bracket deal for sure?? 'Cause I thought right in front of the rear tire and right in back of the front tire was fine as long as it was on the rail...b/c the rail is what fits into the scissor jack that comes with the car.

Maybe I've had it wrong all these years but the lift at the shop - all I had to do was put it under the rail that sticks out.

Anybody got clarification on this for sure?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The jack point for the scissor jack is where the reinforced tab is. This is the same place you should place the stand ( if you need to work on suspension.) you can also use the suspension arm for the jack stand but I prefer the body point. That reinforced tab is also where I place the shop lift on all the hondas I work on. I also have seen these tabs bend when using a jack stand with a deep u in the head of the stand
Old 06-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instructor74)

if we are talking about a 2 post above ground lift then yeah I always used the lift points behind front wheels and in front of the back wheels. But jack stands are a whole different thing.

When I have my car jacked up on the said points I use I could pound on it with an 8 lb sledge no worries.

I always rock my car when I get her lifted up. I would rather her fall down on a test than when I am completey under the car and the wind blows.

Safety first.
Also never climb under a car lifted by a jack only. I saw one give out before and it took about 1.3 milliseconds for it to completely collapse. It was quick.