Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 12:39 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this

Or they just cut cirlces in the cover to still be able to get to the allan wrench keys, Its still vulnerable to rocks and **** getting up in between your timing belt and cam gear.

My motor is a SOHC, im not sure what the difference's are between it and a DOHC..

I just decided that i would cut the lip off that goes under the valve cover, With that lip off, all u have to do is remove 2 EASY bolts then, walla your upper timing belt cover is off and ready to be adjusted.

IM NOT SURE IF U CAN TELL IN THESE PICTURES, BUT I USED A KNIFE AND RAZOR BLADE AND JUST CUT THE WHOLE LIP OFF THAT GOES UNDER THE VALVE COVER.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:44 PM
NASIOC.com

Default Re: Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this (POE)

because its extra work to remove bolts =P
Old 05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this (Otherguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Otherguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because its extra work to remove bolts =P</TD></TR></TABLE>

You will be kicking your self in the *** when your timing belt breaks, or you jump some teeth and bend your valves... (Personal experience)
Old 05-08-2005, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this (POE)

Are you running a Mini-me? I'm not sure if I can put my timing cover back on.... I don't have the z6 upper cover, just the b7.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:45 PM
* B A N N E D *

Aestetics. Sorry to break it to you. yes, they are SHOWING OFF their cam GEAR.

Yes, keep it on, its there to protect it. No cam gear in dirt and rocks and rain = bad.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:46 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, mini me b7 block z6 head, try and job the b7 cover to make it fit, i belive thats what i did or i had to use the z6 cover to fit..
Old 05-08-2005, 03:09 PM

I'll see if the b7 is a close fit. If not then I'll look around for the z6

I live out in the boonies and with the timing belt exposed, I don't want to break another timing belt and replacing heads and what not again.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (Cuong-nutz)

I couldn't get either to fit...

I have my lower one on, so I don't really care. It's been that way for two years and it's been fine. If it blows up, so be it.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:09 PM
NASIOC.com

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

same here... im with bauley... if it blows up... i know i can get another mini me setup for 50 bucks... aint trippin
Old 05-08-2005, 05:36 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cuong-nutz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cuong-nutz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll see if the b7 is a close fit. If not then I'll look around for the z6

I live out in the boonies and with the timing belt exposed, I don't want to break another timing belt and replacing heads and what not again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hell yeah, i would get on that if u care about your motor. and want it to last

Old 05-08-2005, 06:16 PM

MINI MOD , I LIKE WAT U DID TO THE COVER, THANX FOR THE IDEA , HERE MINE ..HOME DEPOT STYLE I WAS PLANING ON CUTTING A CIRCLE BIG ENOUHG IN THE COVER TO SEE MY SKUNK 2 CAM, THEN PUT A SEE THREW WINDOW '' FIBER GLASS'' SO U CAN SHOW OFF AND ADJUST IF NEEDED....??
Old 05-08-2005, 08:19 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this (HULKHATCH10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HULKHATCH10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MINI MOD , I LIKE WAT U DID TO THE COVER, THANX FOR THE IDEA , HERE MINE ..HOME DEPOT STYLE I WAS PLANING ON CUTTING A CIRCLE BIG ENOUHG IN THE COVER TO SEE MY SKUNK 2 CAM, THEN PUT A SEE THREW WINDOW '' FIBER GLASS'' SO U CAN SHOW OFF AND ADJUST IF NEEDED....??</TD></TR></TABLE>

how would u take it off, and on?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep... mini me here... never got a Z6 upper
Old 05-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i can see how stuff (rocks, dirt, etc.) could get in there but i've never actually seen it happen. if i had a cool cam gear i would probably show it off too.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My motor is a SOHC, im not sure what the difference's are between it and a DOHC..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

r u serious?

u have one cam and the dohc has 2 that simple
Old 05-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this (eeeeeeBAAA)

hes probably referring to the cover layout. even if i do that, my valve covers still covers half of my cam gears. i currently dont have a lower timing cover. tryin to hunt one down.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eeeeeeBAAA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

r u serious?

u have one cam and the dohc has 2 that simple</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-08-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this (eeeeeeBAAA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eeeeeeBAAA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">r u serious?

u have one cam and the dohc has 2 that simple</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, he's obviously not that stupid. He's talking about the covers.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, i thought about doing this, but i don't need to adjust anything (stock ).
Old 05-09-2005, 06:48 AM

what you should try to do what like i did, i just cut out the hole of the camgear, then fabracated two little rales, (top and bottom) and just made like a small slidding cover, ive never had a problem of it coming off since i made it a tight fit
Old 05-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (canis)

How often do people adjust them anyways?

If you have a mini-me and just don't have the top cover, then I think that's fine. But I don't understand why people take them off to show their cam gears, or "to adjust them"... come on now, how often do people adjust them anyways?

Adjust on the dyno, then put the cover back on...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this (kuja396)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can see how stuff (rocks, dirt, etc.) could get in there but i've never actually seen it happen. if i had a cool cam gear i would probably show it off too.</TD></TR></TABLE>
haha ok u do that then...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slipjack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude, he's obviously not that stupid. He's talking about the covers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man, there are some retards on here.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How often do people adjust them anyways?

If you have a mini-me and just don't have the top cover, then I think that's fine. But I don't understand why people take them off to show their cam gears, or "to adjust them"... come on now, how often do people adjust them anyways?

Adjust on the dyno, then put the cover back on... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand were u are coming from, but i am constanly changing thing on my motor setup, and i need to adjust my timing to recolabrate everthing.. i have taken that cover off allready 10 times in the last few months
Old 05-09-2005, 10:59 AM

True, but you forget people are into the bling of it.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Accel Junky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Accel Junky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True, but you forget people are into the bling of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wells lets egimacate these foo's and get them to start putting there timing belt cover on.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Blue Sedan Crew

Default Re: (POE)

every single car that our shop has worked on has thiers off...........never had a problem
Old 05-09-2005, 12:07 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

all i know, is im gonna be safe and leave my cover ON, ive seen what it can do.

Quick Reply: Ive notice a lot of people dont use timing belt covers... WHY NOT do this