Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ???

Old 02-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ???

OK, I have decided to put a GS-R & used JRSC in my 1993 DX HB. Can anybody think of anything I should add while I'm doing it? LSD, different Pistons, or Trans or ???

The reason I am thinking JRSC is:
Can buy one used pretty cheap on Ebay
Bolt On - No Mods like IC Piping, and mounting all the turbo crap
Can keep my A/C which I need in the South
Decent Power

My goal is to put around 200 HP to the wheels or whatever is need to run high 12s (12.99).

Anybody got anything good or bad to say about this setup? Im trying to stay in the $5k range so let me know y'all's thoughts.

Jon Black
Old 02-24-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (Jon Black)

Do it up man. You'll easily make your 200whp goal even on the stock 6lb pulley. If you can afford a quaife LSD it would be a sweet buy but your b18c1 pistons and tranny should be fine. Make sure you've got a nice clutch, good fuel management, and some sticky tires.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (Nine)

If you can afford a quaife LSD
What if I get the stock LSD?

Make sure you've got a nice clutch, good fuel management, and some sticky tires.
Doesn't the JRSC come with some sort of FMU?
Also, I have a set of BF Goodrich 14' Drag Radials. But the wheels are pretty heavy. What's this I hear about some VX wheels or something? Are those 14" and will they hold a 225mm wide tire?

Thanks bro
Jon Black
Old 02-24-2003, 08:29 PM

VX wheels are i believe 14", what you are looking for is HX wheels, now sure if that wide of a tire would fit on the rims though.

the gsr tranny will not have a stock LSD, you would have to get a type r tranny or have a LSD installed.

If you are taking apart the tranny upgrade the clutch and flywheel. Oh, and the quaife if you purchase it from a dealer has a lifetime warranty, even for racing. It makes a good investment, but if you purchase if from another person used, the warranty is void.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (Inigo Montoya)

Along the lines of LSD, how does the Phantom Grip setups compare?

Jon Black
Old 02-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nevermind about the Phantom Grip. Ive done a search and seems most people think of them as junk.

On HMotorsOnline.com, when they say LSD trans add $300, what exactly are you upgrading to?

Thanks
Jon Black
Old 02-24-2003, 09:10 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (Inigo Montoya)

VX wheels are i believe 14
VX are 13" and HX are 14".

And to the poster: a stock GSR will be just fine with a JRSC at the original boost level. An LSD would be a great addition as would Hondata or another engine management system with tuning.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:20 PM

In japan, LSDs were an option on most of their b series trannies. The OEM lsds are a nice cheap option ($300 installed ) but if you can afford the quaife, i strongly urge you to get one. They are a lot better then the OEM ones. (Not saying the OEM ones are bad, just that the quaifes are that much better.)
Old 02-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (Nine)

why are you wating your time with the jrsc? Turbo easily dominates that crap anyday

[Modified by Halo, 10:24 PM 2/24/2003]
Old 02-24-2003, 09:30 PM

Nevermind about the Phantom Grip. Ive done a search and seems most people think of them as junk.

On HMotorsOnline.com, when they say LSD trans add $300, what exactly are you upgrading to?

Thanks
Jon Black
i believe the differential. don't quote me on that.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (all stock)

where is vtecvoodoo when you need him? he has that setup! pm him
Old 02-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (all stock)

look in the best buy forum, they are selling the RevHard 2c for 2800 shipped, I GUARANTEE that will beat a jrsc into submission

[Modified by Halo, 11:11 PM 2/24/2003]
Old 02-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (Halo)

look in the best buy forum, they are selling the RevHard 2c for 2800 shipped, I GUARANTEE that will beat a jrsc into submission
Bah....I will read that post thinking you have actually had a JR on your own car. The JR isnt a monster power maker. Yes the turbo will make more power....but it is a different type of power. The JR is instant! The turbo takes a little while. I sold my JR to go for more power and to run 10s. I would definately recommend the JR to someone who is looking for a mild/moderate power gains.

For the record......13psi ownz joo and 300whp B18c powered JR! Daily driven for over 30k miles.

Old 02-25-2003, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why are you wating your time with the jrsc? Turbo easily dominates that crap anyday
No ****? Really? You're kidding...!

Please dont bother to actually *read* my post for reason I want a JRSC. I understand that turbo is going to make more power than a JRSC but it may not be the *best* route to take for my application.

I want to keep A/C, dont necessarily want to mount an intercooler and run all the piping (I have factor fogs too, which may make pipe routing an issue) and dont want to do all of the little "rigging" mods that you have to do to install a turbo, like weld a bung onto the oilpan.

To me the JRSC is just a more simple, clean option. I may end up using a turbo, but JRSC is what I am leaning towards *right now* until someone can convince me of enough positives of a turbo setup to overcome my *perceived* (and possibly not actual) negatives/problems with a turbo.

Jon Black
Old 02-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh brother...let's see...(pulling out my calculator).

My budget for this setup is $5000. Assuming that the GS-R is going to cost around $3500 and the Turbo Kit you suggest around $2800 - the total comes up to $6300 (best case scenario). That's $1300 over my planned budget at best. Unless you were planning on giving me the extra loot to buy this thing, Im not going to consider it at this point.

Sure I could build a turbo charged motor that would beat the pants off a JRSC motor. BUT, Im trying to be realistic and give myself a working budget that is feasible, and that route requires me to go with JRSC. As well, my WHP goal is 200, not 250 or higher. I want to run high 12s and that's it. I think I will be satisfied with that.

My intention is to beat my dad's small block equipted Chevy S-10 and then I will be done for the need to speed. I am in the process of locating a Civic Type R RHD which is what I really want to drive.

Jon Black
Old 02-25-2003, 07:23 AM
New User

The most important things I can recommend are a Quaife or ITR limitted slip to get the power to the ground. Z10 or JimFab traction bars to keep the wheels planted, and a J&S Safeguard V2 to keep the engine in one piece. I have exactly that setup and it rocks.

Do all that and you have the killer ap for AutoX or RR (although you will be illegal or into a heavy mod class for any sanctioned event)

Its a lot of fun on the street as well although more power than you can legally use.

Mike
Old 02-25-2003, 07:24 AM
New User

Along the lines of LSD, how does the Phantom Grip setups compare?

Jon Black
Dont waste your money. Its not even worth the little they charge for it. Total POS.

Mike
Old 02-25-2003, 07:26 AM
New User

[Modified by Halo, 10:24 PM 2/24/2003]
For drag racing, Yes, i have to agree with you but have you ever been in a well setup JRSC car? Dont **** all over the supercharger unless you have some REAL experience with them. For HPDE or road racing the JRSC kicks ***.

Mike
Old 02-25-2003, 07:37 AM

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (Blown90hatcH)

holy shiet.....93000 posts???
Old 02-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (HybridHackBatch)

I just noticed that, too. Damn...I'll listen to what you have to say!

Jon Black
Old 02-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (92sleepR)

My goal is 1/4 mile drag racing. Im not trying to beat everyone out there, just my old man. It would be kinda cool to beat a Mustang or Firebird every now and then, of course keeping it UNDER the speed limit

Thanks
Jon Black
Old 02-25-2003, 08:42 AM

I'm not going to be the one to knock down your ideas, I think that your set-up is going to rock! However, did you consider doing an H22, honestly I'm not trying to sway your mind, but you could have it in the car for around the 3500 and you'd already be dealing with a low 13 sec. car bone stock. Just wanted to throw that suggestion out.

Good luck with what you decide

Scott (please don't flame, just givin him another suggestion)
Old 02-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (SlippylesKB)

Yes I had considered the H22...but do you think I can get it IN the car for $3500 with mounts and all? Also, will it support the use of A/C which I have to have, or I will have to get rid of my dog, kid, and girlfriend becuase it is so damn hot here in the summer.

Jon Black
Old 02-25-2003, 08:56 AM

Yes I had considered the H22...but do you think I can get it IN the car for $3500 with mounts and all? Also, will it support the use of A/C which I have to have, or I will have to get rid of my dog, kid, and girlfriend becuase it is so damn hot here in the summer.

Jon Black
hahha, that is HOT!

As per the H22, you can definately get it cheaper then a GSR. I was quoted from one of my friends 2800 in the car, but I might be getting a deal since he knows the guy from HAsport, hence why I gave you the 3500 price limit. As per the AC I am not positive, but the same friend put an H22 with a huge turbo in the front. here's a picture

If you want to hook up the AC to the turbo then hell... that'd work crazy! just messin! I'm not positive about the AC but judging on the size of the turbo I think you could fit it.

Hope I helped a little bit

Scott
Old 02-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ??? (SlippylesKB)

Im really trying to avoid turbos, and would like to use a JRSC. Also, I like the "sleeper" aspect of not being able to see a FMIC. There is a lot less expected out of a car when in "sleeper mode" than a car that "looks" fast.

Another plus is that it will be a lot less likely to be stolen if people cant immediately tell there is a lot of money under the hood. I really kinda want the car to look like a $4000 car than the $10,000 car that it will really be.

But I will look more into the H22. Everyone seems to like them. I just think there is much more aftermarket support for the B series, which translates into a price savings.

Jon Black

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I've Made Up My Mind - GS-R JRSC and ???