Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Its not the ECU, main relay, fuse, distributor or fuel pump....what is it?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its not the ECU, main relay, fuse, distributor or fuel pump....what is it?

*** UPDATE ***

Please read post 52 on page 3 for the cause of my particular problem
Any experience or comments from anyone who has gone through this would be much appreciated.

Car: 1993 Honda Civic DX Automatic
Engine: Stock 1.5

I just got the car and it ran fine for a few hundred miles. I drove it one day for about 30 miles and let it sit and idle while I ran in the house for something and when I came back out the car was off. I tried to start it again and I had no luck. I tested for spark and I had none and I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime either.

I read several posts and tried all kinds of things but I can't figure it out.

I replaced the fuel pump, the main relay, the ecu and the battery.

The ECU was my last replacement part and before I swapped it out I tried starting it again. I heard the fuel pump prime and then I turn the key and it started right up!

I was so confused. I didn't know what caused it to stop working or what caused it to start working again.

I was just about to take it for a spin when it died again and now I can't hear the pump and I have no spark once again.

The only thing I can really think of is I have to slam the hell out of my hood for it to stay closed and latched. Maybe there is a wire or something that I am knocking loose when I do this, but I have no clue. I have checked all the grounds and everything and I am just lost.

Can anybody help?

Last edited by ITR1071; 06-16-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-13-2009, 11:00 AM
New User

Default Re: Its not the ECU, main relay, fuse, distributor or fuel pump....what is it?

Not sure-in fact I doubt-but does your battery terminal from positive have any kind of odd solenoid attached along the wire? I forget the exact name for it,but yrs back I had the same odd issue with a Mitzu I had at the time. If I did anything under the hood-check oil,etc- and closed it, it would sometimes knock this little doo-hicky around,and the car would not start. Drove me mad trying to troubleshoot it,but ended up being a $1 part to replace.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Its not the ECU, main relay, fuse, distributor or fuel pump....what is it?

No, no odd solenoid attached to the positive battery cable or terminal. My problem is weird but that isn't it.

Thanks for trying to help
Old 06-13-2009, 11:23 AM
New User

No problem. Just soon as I saw it,it reminded me of the issue I had .Lol. Wish could be more help.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still sounds like a bad ground. no harm in double checking them and cleaning/refitting them, check your back up fuse under the hood, its the 7.5 one make sure that isent blowing
Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check fuses and relays since it stopped working again?
Old 06-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a ground on the wire harness that bolts to the thermostat housing. if that is loose, or has a bad connection/broken wire the car will not start. thats the only thing i can think of
Old 06-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the dash lights turn off when the car dies? If so, it's the ignition switch that needs to be replaced.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so is the car running right now? IF it is it your fuel pump could have been bad and drawing to much current And cause the main relay to take a sht. But just like everone else said check all grounds. Thats probably what started the problem in the first place.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by robbys89
still sounds like a bad ground. no harm in double checking them and cleaning/refitting them, check your back up fuse under the hood, its the 7.5 one make sure that isent blowing
Checked fuses. They are still good
Old 06-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hill4589
Check fuses and relays since it stopped working again?
The car was running with all original parts. It just started and I didn't know what was the cause. After it died again I tried all the new parts I bought to fix it. Still nothing.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Group Tenacity
there is a ground on the wire harness that bolts to the thermostat housing. if that is loose, or has a bad connection/broken wire the car will not start. thats the only thing i can think of
It is fine. I have triple checked it.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_driver
Do the dash lights turn off when the car dies? If so, it's the ignition switch that needs to be replaced.
The dash lights stay on when the car dies.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by looseOFFboost
so is the car running right now? IF it is it your fuel pump could have been bad and drawing to much current And cause the main relay to take a sht. But just like everone else said check all grounds. Thats probably what started the problem in the first place.
The car isn't running right now. I tried swapping the main relay since and still nothing.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump

Please help
Old 06-13-2009, 03:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

had the same problem its the ignition coil... replace that and c if u get spark ... its inside ur dizzy the easiest 4 bolts i ever removed in my life.. my brothers 91 DA did that also changed it fired rite up
Old 06-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sihatch89
had the same problem its the ignition coil... replace that and c if u get spark ... its inside ur dizzy the easiest 4 bolts i ever removed in my life.. my brothers 91 DA did that also changed it fired rite up
I would/ will replace if it comes down to it, but would the ignition coil cause my fuel pump not to prime when I turn the key?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW, this is a tough one. Looks like you covered all the basics and common issues.

Wiggle the ignition-switch/key (or the wires in behind) and see if it creates of fixes the issue. I had an ignition switch cause intermittent issues like the one you posted.

I would grab a wiring diagram and focus on the main relay's coil. Don't assume, grab test light and start by making sure the main relay is not getting a signal and work from there..
Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2point2
WOW, this is a tough one. Looks like you covered all the basics and common issues.

Wiggle the ignition-switch/key (or the wires in behind) and see if it creates of fixes the issue. I had an ignition switch cause intermittent issues like the one you posted.

I would grab a wiring diagram and focus on the main relay's coil. Don't assume, grab test light and start by making sure the main relay is not getting a signal and work from there..
So an ignition switch could cause these problems?
I should also check the harness for the main relay and see if it is getting power? If it isn't what would cause that? The ECU? I already tried swapping that?

I can't believe that this is such a hard problem to diagnose.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm guessing it's the ignition switch.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the ignition switch affects the main relay? Is this correct?

Where is this switch located?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you just ask where the ignition switch is?

The ignition switch is your key hole (the thing that turns your car on). It's behind the steering wheel on your right. It's a stainless steel circle with a slot in it. You might have heard of it in drivers ED. You put your key in and turn it so that car goes vroom vroom. Maybe Americans call it something different? lol

There is a few large wires that attach to the back of it. When you turn the switch you are turning on/off different wiring networks throughout your car, including the fuel injection.

Look at the above wiring diagram - especially wire BLK/YEL. It doesn't show the ignition switch but it does tell you which systems are hot("On") in a specific key position.

If you aren't getting power on your BLK/YEL wire the relay will not "click", the fuel bump will not go "buzzzz" and your engine will not go vroom vroom.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2point2

Did you just ask where the ignition switch is?

The ignition switch is your key hole (the thing that turns your car on). It's behind the steering wheel on your right. It's a stainless steel circle with a slot in it. You might have heard of it in drivers ED. You put your key in and turn it so that car goes vroom vroom. Maybe Americans call it something different? lol

There is a few large wires that attach to the back of it. When you turn the switch you are turning on/off different wiring networks throughout your car, including the fuel injection.

Look at the above wiring diagram - especially wire BLK/YEL. It doesn't show the ignition switch but it does tell you which systems are hot("On") in a specific key position.

If you aren't getting power on your BLK/YEL wire the relay will not "click", the fuel bump will not go "buzzzz" and your engine will not go vroom vroom.
Thanks for all the smart *** comments prior to answering my question. I didn't know if the switch was the entire ignition or something that I could unplug and replace separately. Forgive me for my ignorance. I love Honda-Tech, you guys are so friendly and make everyone feel so welcome.

So, if I can get to the BLK/YEL wire and test it with a voltmeter while turning the key it should get power? If it doesn't, then I need to replace the switch?

If it is getting power? My car is cursed?

If I have to replace it, will I have a separate key to start my car?

If this is the culprit, is there anyway to bypass this for the time being to start my car?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:38 AM
New User

" It's behind the steering wheel on your right"....dont listen to him-it's behind the blinker-fluid resevoir...

All kidding aside,and I love sarcasm as much as anyone,c'mon guys.Not all of us who come here are technerds,grease-monkees or body-work folks. Apart from tuners/modders,as owners/lovers and drivers of Civics-IMHO-one of ,if not THE,most reliable,dependable cars on the road-most of us have had little to no reason to have to know all the nuts-n-bolts details of these cars. When we pop in for a question with something on the rare occasion when we get Chevy'd,we're usually really needing some assistance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Its not the ECU, main relay, fuse, distributor or fuel pump....what is it?