Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Its a headache... cooling/and another issue your imput is needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its a headache... cooling/and another issue your imput is needed

yeah i spent all yesterday searching....
1 major problem. and 1 slightly anoying problem.
Major- cooling system problem... I just changed the thermostat. Seems to be the problem is still there. whats happening is there seems to be too much pressure in the system. the coolant is pushing back into the reservoir. it runs hot often. i didn't think the problem was the thermostat. i do not hear any different sounds comming from the water pump area. so i am pretty much stumped on this one. this problem comes and goes. it has been for months. i now see a slight amount of oil in the coolant. not a lot but a few specs. i am angered to say. because just last summer i put this entire motor together. maybe i should have changed the water pump. hmmm.. yes this problem originated from the rebuild. is there something else i should focus on other than the water pump? the radiator? the fan does work.

slightly anoying problem
- now i do have a well understanding of Honda's speratic idle issue. but i never before experienced one in this fashion. at normal idle the car is FINE, but only sometimes at 2000 RPM (my foot is on the gas) does the idle bounce back and forth from mid 1k to 2k. I do believe this issue is related in some fashion to another problem i have... that would be what i would call a "THROTTLE JERK". For example, i am driving down the street and along came a spider... Of course being the nice guy i am. i let off the gas to avoid squashing the spider, but at the very moment i press my foot back on the gas does the car jerk forward. this is continuous. the only way i know of how to fix it is to turn the car off and on multiple times till it goes away. PLZ HELP any suggestions. i cant find any leaky vacuum or anything. i have CEL's for o2 sensors.

PS!!!- i changed the rad cap as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Its a headache... cooling/and another issue your imput is needed (mastakmk)

bleed the cooling system somemore, and check to see if your getting too much fuel, causing the jerk ... my buddy had that problem in his rex and he adjusted the fuel and its better.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Its a headache... cooling/and another issue your imput is needed (Blzdeep)

i ran the system without the cap till it became normal operating temp. it was tuned for the fuel but... the shop... i would say doesn't get 2 thumbs up... the jerk is only sometimes. i will look into that as a potential solution. thanks..

<more feedback is needed.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Its a headache... cooling/and another issue your imput is needed (mastakmk)

quik bump
Old 04-14-2008, 06:32 PM

lol.. cooling problem persists.. its weird.. i pulled over with the temp sky high... popped the hood to find out the fan was not running.... what the hell??? it works.. i seen it working b4 i took off on the road. the system is still pushing coolant back into the reservoir. does anyone know what would up the pressure in the coolant system? would it infact be the water pump???? ANYONE?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine did the same thing when my head gasket was blown. Plus, the oil in the coolant is a huge concern. Id look into a new head gasket.