Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!!

UPDATE

I found out RSX calipers will bolt right on with swapping ebrake mechanisms with the gsr calipers. However, due to the ebrake mechanism placement, you have to put the right caliper on the left and the left on the right. Doing this will cause the bleeder valve to be upside down. So, before I mounted the caliper, I held it right side up, stuck a block of wood in front of the piston and bled the brakes. Then I turned the piston back in and mounted the caliper. Anyways, here is a picture of the COMPLETED setup..

After months of researching, and with the help and knowledge of Mr. Choi, I finally completed my EP3 rear disc conversion on my EK. Stock rear disc for integra/civic is 9.4", so the EP 10.3" is a nice OEM upgrade. Along with the rear disc conversion, I also installed a 1" Integra master cylinder.

Parts needed for this install include...

Rear Disc Conversion (integra/civic)
EP3 10.3" Rear Rotors
EP3 Rear Caliper Anchors
EP/RSX/ITR Rear Brake Pads

I purchased my rear disc conversion the other day from jdmtheory.com. Thanks Geoff for the hook up!! Once I got them home, I completely disassembled everything and test fitted the rotors and caliper anchors. Everything was a direct bolt on, except that the dust cover had to be bent a little to accept the caliper bracket, no biggie. The EP caliper bracket is used to compensate for the bigger rotors, so it pushes the caliper out further. The stock GSR calipers will fit directly onto the EP caliper bracket with no modifications. I also had to use EP brake pads since the caliper bracket goes deeper down.

During the install, I also installed a SI Prop valve. I "heard" the SI and the DX/CX use the same prop valves, but since I had a SI prop valve sitting in my room, I just decided to use it.. I also installed a 99+ Integra 1" Master Cylinder. There is a lot of debate about this, and this is the truth!! The 99+ Integra 1" master cylinders are the exact same as ITR, as they will bolt right into EK with no line or fitting modifications. In fact, I didn't even change out my brake booster. The integra master cylinder bolted up directly to my STOCK EK brake booster, and works fine. The fittings and everything are perfect, and the pedal pressure is AWESOME!!!!

anyways, enough with the chit chat, on with the pictures!!

brakes when i bought them

stock GSR rotor vs. stock EP rotor

calipers and mounts.. peak at the next brake project.

99+ integra master cylinder and brake booster

1" marking

all cleaned up and stripped

assembled, hats painted blue and calipers gold

assembled and test fit with stern aguzze

installation

installed

Overall, I am very satisfied with this conversion. It was a simple and pretty cost friendly conversion. Everything is still OEM!!! Before this install, I only had an SI front disc conversion. After the install, driving the car, I noticed that the car doesn't dip forward nearly as much under hard braking. The car also stops a lot better than before. I am very satisfied with the outcome and I can't wait to put on my NSX calipers to finish it off!!

Comments and questions welcomed!!

Modified by Airbag Club at 12:45 AM 1/17/2005
Old 12-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (Airbag Club)

hot
Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (adictionbass)

Awesome Man!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (Airbag Club)

why did you use rear ep3 rotors instead rear itr rotors... I take it's obviously because of the lug pattern of the rotors?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (137)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 137 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why did you use rear ep3 rotors instead rear itr rotors... I take it's obviously because of the lug pattern of the rotors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, EP3 rotors are the same diameter and thickness as ITR rotors, but come in 4x100, so drilling is not required..
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Trial User

so i take it this will work on an EG the same way???? since the eg uses integra rear suspension?? what are your thoughts on swapping this stuff onto an eg?? lmk
Old 12-20-2004, 12:57 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (137)

Great Job buddy!
Old 12-21-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (Dan GSR)

sweet dude!!!!
looks pimp!!
Old 12-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (Erika's_ek9)

looks hot good job bro.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:51 PM

EP3 calipers be ok for this??
Old 12-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondacivicEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacivicEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EP3 calipers be ok for this??</TD></TR></TABLE>

it'll work, but you might not have an ebrake...
Old 12-22-2004, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 137
It seems you have disagreed more then once, hence a thrashing. Tis all
several disagreements do not make it a thrashing at all.

Originally Posted by 137

If I read right you're asking why change it to a rotor instead of just leaving it as a drum because it works the same either way.
see, you've got me wrong there. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying what's wrong with the stock sized rear disc? You're arguing with me about a point I'm not even making. If you're putting in integra fronts I can totally understand putting in the integra rear discs in back. Disc brakes are much easier to maintain than drums. I don't understand the need to upgrade to a 10.3" rear on this car, especially with the way he shoved the EP3 pad into an integra caliper. Like I said, i think it's a disaster. I can understand upgrading the whole package, but not doing it this way.

Originally Posted by 137

Last I checked having a rotor in back period evens out the brake load and wear a bit more. I mean I havent changed the rear pads on my car since I've owned it. If you discount the fact I installed a 5 lug swap. The rear brake discs are damn near as big as my old front discs. The braking difference is night and day, before I stepped on the pedal for a bit and it slowed down. I tap on my pedal now and the brakes are fierce compared to what they were before.
ok, i don't disagree with what you did at all. You swapped in a whole system. That's the way to do it. You upgraded the fronts and rears at the same time. That "fierce" braking is more due to those big 11" fronts, that's all I'm saying.

Originally Posted by 137
Sure there are more conventional means of doing a brake upgrade but I am pretty damn satisfied with my decision not to run a hack and mis match setup on my car. Some other people just like to put more work into a simple mod for less money.
I never said you should run a "hack" setup at all. I agree to swap in a whole system. Using your words, in my opinion this seems to be a "hack" and a "mis match setup". That's what I was saying. Also, I questioned if it would do anything.

Originally Posted by 137
Its fine to ask a question or to make a statement but you are turning your question into a debate. I guess thats where the agitation set in.
Again, so what. It's a debate. Good. That's what this forum is here for. I'm not attacking anyone. I'm asking pointed questions and keeping it constructive. That's all. I'm not personally attacking anyone here.

Originally Posted by 137
In a round about way yes you hinted at it sir.
not at all did I hint at it. If somebody put the rear integra discs on, I don't disagree. I left mine as drums, that's just how I left em. Mostly to keep the weight down and save money. I have pondered doing it. I don't disagree with it. It does make servicing easier. Do i think it increases braking performance, not really. I disagree with this particular "kit". That's all. Drums can be a PITA to deal with.

s

Old 01-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Airbag Club)

dammit beat me to it! regardless great job nukka!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chameleon)

i'm gonna try this if i can find some rebuilt EP3 calipers. U might wanna look into getting accord rear calipers to handle the bigger pads. they may be similar to the ITR rears if not the same.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (adictionbass)

holy braking power batman!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (Viorent Grip! EG)

Hot *** TECH!!!!
might try this on my 4x114!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (SnoFlake)

honda-tech is tripping out. this thread used to be 5 pages long. i don't know how it got to be 1 page again...
Old 01-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Airbag Club &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honda-tech is tripping out. this thread used to be 5 pages long. i don't know how it got to be 1 page again... </TD></TR></TABLE>

serious...i cant pull up old TOPICS anymore!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (SnoFlake)

I noticed that too, what the hell is going on? I remember all kinds of opinions, arguments, stuff about hubcentric rings...etc...
Old 01-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah, hubcentric rings are not needed. the EP3 rotors have the same size hub as stock GSR.

BTW: I am now looking for ITR Rear Calipers. If anyone has some, please PM me, thank you.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (issues_ek)

Old 01-11-2005, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hotness
Old 01-11-2005, 04:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

It sure is cool looking and all, but do you guys honestly think 10.3'' rear rotors will make the car stop any better?

IMO it won't, because the fronts do most of the work anyways.

I'm not hating - just trying to understand the true reason for doing this.

I have a 1992 CX with Integra brakes all around, and this mod would be super easy and quick, but I can't seem to justify it because again the rears don't do much of the work. I can get the hangers at cost and Brembo blanks are only like $15.00 a piece, so again it's not that I cannot afford the mods, but more why is it necessary.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!! (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

IMO it won't, because the fronts do most of the work anyways.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its like a 70:30 ratio so i would have to agree...but those NSX calipers will sure make a damn difference
Old 01-11-2005, 05:16 AM
Vu

Does the EP3 brake pads fit directly into the Integra brake calipers? Also, I can't really tell from the picture, but does the pad rubbed against the hub?

Quick Reply: IT'S DONE!!! 10.3" EP3 Rear Disc Conversion on EK + MC EK Info!!