Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Itr swap or Turbo Ls?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Itr swap or Turbo Ls?

Well if you guys would do either set up which would you do and which do you believe would be faster and more reliable?
Old 07-21-2003, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (spencedogg)

I hate questions like this

A turbo LS would be faster than any type r swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The boosted ls can be very reliable pending on how much money you have to spend.

If I were you, I would save my money until I gain more honda knowledge
Old 07-21-2003, 05:01 PM

I had the same question that you did. i already had the ls motor in my car but i decided that for about the same price i could have a reliable itr motor rather than get the turbo kit with all the stuff i would need to get to run it right. i went with the itr and am working an all motor. but i have to say i would have loved to be able to hit the B.O.V. pisssshhhhhh
Old 07-21-2003, 05:16 PM

ITR swap cuz i said so!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (allmtr: now at 95%)

thats actually a decent question i believe

i would have loved to build a b20c1 turbo engine.....since i have no garage and i live in dorms, i had to get the c5 and call it a day =\

if i had the space to work , i wouldve built somthing

my .o2
Old 07-21-2003, 05:56 PM

Well mr nyc yo i do have my thoughts of what would be quicker and more relieable but wanted to see what everyone else in the country thougt as for my honda knowledge i dont think your in a place to judge!!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (Nyc y0!!!)

<U>TURBO!!! 100,000,000% TURBO.</U>
Old 07-21-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (TrickHonda77)

Id hit up the ls and throw a snail on it. It'll be mildly quick, and just build up the bottom end and crank up the boost. If ya blow the ls, theyre like 800 for another one, whereas if u f-up the c5, then your gonna be up **** creek.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (Echo7847)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Echo7847 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Id hit up the ls and throw a snail on it. It'll be mildly quick, and just build up the bottom end and crank up the boost. If ya blow the ls, theyre like 800 for another one, whereas if u f-up the c5, then your gonna be up **** creek.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i hope u dont mean shortblock... cuz thats expensive
Old 07-21-2003, 08:04 PM

thanks any other opinions
Old 07-21-2003, 08:33 PM

type R swap all the way
Old 07-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (super-dooper fast)

it depends on what you want, how u drive, where you drive it. Geez, why am i wasting my time........

S-E-A-R-C-H.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (TrickHonda77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrickHonda77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> <U>TURBO!!! 100,000,000% TURBO.</U> </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude...... you cant have more than 100% lol j/p

but really, as most ppl will tel you, its all up to you. i am doing an ls turbo, but thats cause its what i want to do.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (CivicNA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicNA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same question that you did. i already had the ls motor in my car but i decided that for about the same price i could have a reliable itr motor rather than get the turbo kit with all the stuff i would need to get to run it right. i went with the itr and am working an all motor. but i have to say i would have loved to be able to hit the B.O.V. pisssshhhhhh</TD></TR></TABLE>im doing the same thing ...i have a Ls and for the longest time i was goin to boost my Ls ...but then i feel in love with all motor after seeinf my boy itr run ...and now im saving to drop a itr in my car and build a sick n/a motor ...but it all really depends on whats best for you...
Old 07-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (JDM2ndGen)

ugh...who cares
Old 07-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (BauleyCivic)

i just got done putting in my ls swap on last thursday my friend called me up today from a shop in LA got me a price for a revhard stage 2c kit complete with everything and tuned for 3650 that is what i'm going to do i have $2500 right now and my friend a couple months ago bought the same kit from the same place and payed over $5000 for it, can't wait 7lbs of boost. i too was thinking about just getting a type r but i'll wait for that later i want boost damnit.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (b20_EK)

i had the choice of going ITR or slapping on a turbo. after driving my buddy's turbo'd LS/hatch...i was in love with the power. I then decided to turbo my ls...and till this day, i don't regret doing it at all. i'm able to tear up ITR's, DSM's and a whole bunch of other cars running only 9psi safely. trust me...once you enter the dark side...there's no going back!!

Old 07-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (shermanyang)

ls turbo
Old 07-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spencedogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if you guys would do either set up which would you do and which do you believe would be faster and more reliable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmmm...questions like these tend to end up in pissing contests. do you want reliability or speed? it's hard to get a reliable AND fast motor put together without running into issues later on.

personally, i'd take reliability over speed. the ITR swap is perfect for reliability and with simple bolt ons can be made to put out close to 180-200whp (cams, cam gears, tuning...etc., are NOT considered bolt ons ). one of the mods (B18C5EH2 aka Tom) here has a B18C5 swap in his 92-95 hatch...hella clean...ask him about reliability.

Turbo LS is a bit more tricky. True, it will put down more whp and torque over the ITR but your'e gonna be boosting a motor that came without a turbo from the factory...you MAY run into reliability issues later on...i.e. blown rings, burning oil, over heating, detonation...etc.,

also, it depends what you plan to do with your ride...drag, auto cross, road race...etc.,

plan it out first then do it right the first time...hope this helps out...
Old 07-21-2003, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (acydphryck)

hmmmm...

LS TURBO.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:54 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (mooseknuckle)

I like allmotor for it's reliability.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:58 PM
ce
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (GapxGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GapxGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like allmotor for it's reliability.</TD></TR></TABLE>

w3rd
Old 07-22-2003, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls? (GapxGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GapxGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like allmotor for it's reliability.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If built correctly, a boosted B18 LS motor could be just as reliable. With an ITR N/A setup, you could only upgrade it so much until you hit that "glass ceiling." With a turbo setup, the possibilities are greater for tuning and upgrades.

B18 LS turbo setup
ITR N/A setup
Old 07-22-2003, 03:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting question...

I think the LS turbo would be faster even with a smaller turbo pushing 8psi or so, but I do not think that any turbocharged engine will be as reliable as an ITR motor - period.

Tuned or not you will wear out a boosted engine sooner than an N/A engine that was built for road racing - the most punishing form of engine abuse.

I drive my car hard. There is no way a boosted LS could stand up to my driving. I don't care what anyone else says, because I know what I do with a car. I don't do stupid **** like burn-outs, free revving redline bullshit, etc, but I do visit the upper ranges of my powerband frequently and I like to hustle around twisty roads.

I don't think that boost is condusive to FF hard cornering. The power comes on too quick and usually results in wheel spin, which is bad if you're trying to haul *** around corners.

On the street an LS turbo will definately prove to be a handful when trying to launch. Highway fun runs would result in beating down a lot of "fast" cars for sure though. Then again I don't do too bad on the freeway with my lowly B18C5 swap.

My last point is that in order to make SAFE power you will spend more money than you're probably thinking you'll have to.

If you dare talk about a boosted LS motor being as relaible as a B18C5 then you must be talking about ones tuned with a stand alone engine management like Hondata, AEM EMS, etc. which can cost upwards of $1,000.00 by themselves.

My bottom line?

The boosted LS can be faster than an ITR swap, but it will not be as reliable.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Itr swap or Turbo Ls?

thanks b18c5 for you help that was a great break down

Quick Reply: Itr swap or Turbo Ls?