Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =(

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:57 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =(

Well, we put my buddies 99 JDM ITR motor in his 1998 Civic DX the other night and when we went to fire it up.
The car hardly runs for a second, then shuts back off.
Then when I gave it throttle, after starting it again. The motor hardly runs, misfiring VERY bad.

Im getting NO check engine codes.

Let alone, I have changed the oil,Plugs,Wires,Distributer, and even the Ecu

What could this be? This I must say is getting very frustrating

Can you guys give me any help or info as to "what" it could be?

Thanks for anything at <U>ALL</U>
Old 02-17-2005, 08:00 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =( (Collateral)

Timing? Do you have the right firing order? 1-3-4-2
Old 02-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =( (Collateral)

Tough to say w/o actually being there.
Id just suggest gong back over it again.

Check all the plugs, wires, vacuum-hoses, is the timing correct?
I know Im no help, sorry.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =( (mwieczorek43)

If you replaced the timing belt before putting it in, I'd bet the timing is off.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:05 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =( (walker111)

Firing order is correct, Its a bone stock ITR motor? Could the timing still be off? And if so, would it cause it to misfire and turn off after second of running?

Thanks guys
Old 02-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You never know what could've been messed with b4 you got it.
We always check timing on every swap we do. Period.
If you have access to a light, its worth a shot.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Collateral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Firing order is correct, Its a bone stock ITR motor? Could the timing still be off? And if so, would it cause it to misfire and turn off after second of running?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes and Yes. If timing is off then everything is off from fuel to spark which will lead to motor just being off. Did you do a timing belt? And did you do it right?

Also might want to try a compression test to see if what the motor wants to say. Let us know the numbers when your done.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Collateral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Firing order is correct, Its a bone stock ITR motor? Could the timing still be off? And if so, would it cause it to misfire and turn off after second of running?

Thanks guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like the timing is off. even if it is a "bone stock" motor, you shoudl still check everything out. pull off the valve cover and check the cam timing
Old 02-17-2005, 08:30 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =( (dantastic)

Thanks guys, Ill be doing that today. I did <U>NOT</U> replace the timing belt, so again to say..thats why I assumed everything was how it was from Honda ..STOCK.

Any guesses as to why the timing might be off?

Ill be doing a compression test today.

Thanks again everyone for the advice..
Old 02-17-2005, 08:35 AM
B A N N E D

Also, just got off the phone with a buddy of mine that was helping me with it.

He said that he looking at timing and it "looked" to be fine, however he didnt do timing with a gun or anything.

Still think its the timing?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Collateral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He said that he looking at timing and it "looked" to be fine, however he didnt do timing with a gun or anything.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just answered your own question.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:46 AM
B A N N E D

, Ill be definately looking at timing today and compression test.

Is there <U>ANYTHING</U> else that it could be? Or that I should check over?

Thanks again so much guys for everything
Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 AM

When i put my b16b in, because it had been sitting there for a while, a couple of the injectors were clogged. Does it sound like it's only running on a couple cylinders? Because mine sounded like it was "misfiring" and we went through everything as well. Distributer, plugs, wires, etc. Try taking a screwdriver or something and tapping LIGHTLY around the base of the injectors. After I did that with mine, ran like a dream. Hopefully that helps.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:04 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =( (b16bbranden)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bbranden &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When i put my b16b in, because it had been sitting there for a while, a couple of the injectors were clogged. Does it sound like it's only running on a couple cylinders? Because mine sounded like it was "misfiring" and we went through everything as well. Distributer, plugs, wires, etc. Try taking a screwdriver or something and tapping LIGHTLY around the base of the injectors. After I did that with mine, ran like a dream. Hopefully that helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>When you started your motor though, Did it stay running? Or did it immediately shut after about a second of running?
That is what draws a ? mark to my head. I could see if it was running and stayed running but just running like ****. But we cant even get it to consistently stay running
Old 02-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i put myfriends lsvtec into his ek and it did this same thing

we found outl later it had to do with some of the sensors plugedd in the wrong spots
Old 02-17-2005, 09:11 AM

It took a while for mine to get started and stay running. It kept started for a couple seconds, sputter, then stop. It obviously had more trouble starting because two of the injectors were clogged. I guess just make sure it is getting fuel and keep trying. Because if you did everything else, that's the only thing i can think of. Oh and make sure all the vacuum lines are hooked up right. That was also a problem we had at first as well.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =( (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You just answered your own question.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dunno how he answered his own question. If the engine isn't running, how can you check the timing with a timing light? Also, even if he does get it running, it sounds like its lugging and idling (for a second) very low... That means that you still couldn't check the timing with a timing light.

What ECU are you using by the way?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:16 AM

try a valve ajustment.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:33 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =( (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dunno how he answered his own question. If the engine isn't running, how can you check the timing with a timing light? Also, even if he does get it running, it sounds like its lugging and idling (for a second) very low... That means that you still couldn't check the timing with a timing light.

What ECU are you using by the way?</TD></TR></TABLE>Stock JDM ITR ECU, P73-013
Old 02-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Collateral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock JDM ITR ECU, P73-013 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do the JDM ITR ecu's have imobilizers in them? Although I would think that if they did, it wouldn't even fire at all. I would say to check for the obvious. Fuel pressure, spark and then do a valve adjustment and make sure the timing is correct. When I say to check the timing, I mean pull the valve cover, line up the marks, make sure all is good there. Might also want to do a compression test as well. An engine is going to need three things to run, fuel, spark, and compression.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JdmGlenn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdmGlenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i put myfriends lsvtec into his ek and it did this same thing

we found outl later it had to do with some of the sensors plugedd in the wrong spots</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had that happen before switching around sensors. However, we checked to make sure everything was in the right place and tried swapping some plugs around, but it didn't fix anything. We'll do a compression test later tonight, hopefully that will answer some questions.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:05 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (NWP4LIFE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NWP4LIFE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had that happen before switching around sensors. However, we checked to make sure everything was in the right place and tried swapping some plugs around, but it didn't fix anything. We'll do a compression test later tonight, hopefully that will answer some questions.</TD></TR></TABLE>damn, I sure we find out what it is cud
Old 02-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JdmGlenn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdmGlenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i put myfriends lsvtec into his ek and it did this same thing

we found outl later it had to do with some of the sensors plugedd in the wrong spots</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea, i'm thinking either sensors or if you had to alter the wiring harness at all. I am assuming that you had to alter the wiring harness, right? i dunno, i'm an obd1 guy. get one o' dem there obd2 diagnostic scanners
Old 02-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could still have some plugs switched. It sounds like the engine might not be staying on long enough to activate a CEL.

Otherwise, check the vacuum lines.

BTW, this should be in the hybrid forum.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: (Collateral)

i could bet it's your firing order....

I had the same problems, when it did decide to start it would only run for a few seconds and rough, misfiring then cut out...I was also running an OBD1 Dseries Distributor...but that's not the point.

I adjusted them correctly and it runs like a dream now. The wrong firing order probably won't throw a code either.

Quick Reply: ITR motor is in and no check engine codes, but whats wrong!?? =(