Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Issues with Apexi WS2 muffler , issue with tip length.HELP EG Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with Apexi WS2 muffler , issue with tip length.HELP EG Hatch

Hey guys, i recently purchased the muffler of the apexi ws2 used but it good condition for a good price from someone. I have heard a lot of good things about the exhaust so im trying to figure out for sure of how people get these on the their hatch or if i bought the wrong one.

My issue overall is the tip length. i measured it and it was around 8 inches long, the canister is like 15 inches. Now if i measured correctly the distance from the rear LCA to the end of the car is like 20 inches and you have to give a little space to get the piping through comfortably so i would say 18 to 18.5 inches of playing field. So i would have like 5 inches of tip sticking out and that does not seem right to me so im guessing there has to be a short tipped version. I seen some on pics but dont know if they come like that or they cut them. Since all the pics i look for from products are general and never really show the specific product, so they all have the long tip.

Im wondering, does anyone know if they just have the muffler available with the shortened tip or do i have to get the full exhaust, or try and find someone that is selling one. If you guys have pics with a ws2 on your hatch post it up, not many out their, i saw a couple on here some were to far to tell.

Right now im running a B20 vtec with 2.5 inch piping, custom i thing, with a resonator and an es tuning oval. The oval is bad already in some way the guy at the shop said, its really getting raspy in some mid range rpms and when i let go of the gas.

current (came on car)

what i got

Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Issues with Apexi WS2 muffler , issue with tip length.HELP EG Hatch

Cut it with a saw?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you got the hatch exhaust? It sounds like you have one for a coupe.

I've seen an OE coupe axleback on an EG hatch, and it stuck out exactly like you're describing.

If I were you, what I would do is lay it all out and mock it up to see exactly what you need to modify and where. Then, take it to a good independent muffler shop, and ask them to chop that much out and weld it back together. If you get a good one, they should charge you about $10 and have it done in about 5 minutes.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
Are you sure you got the hatch exhaust? It sounds like you have one for a coupe.

I've seen an OE coupe axleback on an EG hatch, and it stuck out exactly like you're describing.

If I were you, what I would do is lay it all out and mock it up to see exactly what you need to modify and where. Then, take it to a good independent muffler shop, and ask them to chop that much out and weld it back together. If you get a good one, they should charge you about $10 and have it done in about 5 minutes.
i bought it from someone so yea i didnt know they would stick out that much but thay means their has to be another type out their, i guess i cant get the universal muffler though i would need the whole kit.

Wouldn't cutting it and welding it back on look horrible? would it change anything?

its hard to find a good muffler shop down here in miami.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAOK9688
i bought it from someone so yea i didnt know they would stick out that much but thay means their has to be another type out their, i guess i cant get the universal muffler though i would need the whole kit.

Wouldn't cutting it and welding it back on look horrible? would it change anything?

its hard to find a good muffler shop down here in miami.
Don't cut the muffler, cut the pipe in front of the muffler to shorten the distance between the control arm and the muffler, which should recess the muffler a bit more, which should cause it to not stick out. If it's good welds, it'll look fine. Besides, people don't usually crawl under your car to check out your exhaust welds lol.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
Don't cut the muffler, cut the pipe in front of the muffler to shorten the distance between the control arm and the muffler, which should recess the muffler a bit more, which should cause it to not stick out. If it's good welds, it'll look fine. Besides, people don't usually crawl under your car to check out your exhaust welds lol.
the whole canister and the tip is 22.5 inches just measured it right now. its a lot, its like 19 inches from LCA to end and im sure you have to give it some room to get the piping through.

I appreciate all the help so far though. i might have to sell this, buy a new es tuning or vibrant for like 110 bucks and save up for the whole exhaust in the future since i have other priorities. im just sick of the raspiness its killing me.