Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Issues with 95 Civic/Auto

Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with 95 Civic/Auto

Ok as the title states I payed about 1100 for it. Dude was asking for 2500. I know there were issues with the car and since I'm down with doing my own work I said I'd buy it. Body is in good shape, car was repainted in the same color. (Red). Car is a automatic.
Problems:
First Issue: On the drivers side the windows are able to rolls down and up with the control. Does not work for any of the other windows. The other windows don't roll down with the control on their respective doors. I'm thinking a fuse maybe unless all the motors are bad in the 3 doors. Am I right?
BTW Tune up was not done on the car.
Second issue: The car makes this rattling noise when the car is on. I'm thinking it's that little heat shield on the exhaust so I'll take a look at it later one.
Major Issue: Ok when I was looking at the car it was turned on and idling. The car was running for about 5 minutes and the RPM's would rise and drop and then the car just cut off and died. We had to turn it on again. Remember the car is an automatic.
When driving the RPMs are all over the place and the needle just bounces all over the place. At one time the car shut off and I was doing about 40mph. At 60mph the speedometer went to zero and I felt the car slowling down. I had to pump the gas to get it to go again.
I managed to drive the car 30 miles with no plates after I bought the car. This is my project car and want to start doing my own work on it. I also have my extra reliable 96 accord which is always up to date on maintenance and runs strong.
Car I bought:

Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Issues with 95 Civic/Auto (gqstatus05)

Damn I should have bought another accord. Would have gotten like 30 responses already. I want to get some ideas so I can work on it after I get off of work at 5pm eastern time. I want to run to junkyard and pick up some stuff I need. Can anyone help?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the rattle sound you are hearing sounds like a heat sheild there is one under the car towards the front i just took mine off.
other than that you definatly have a feul system issue try a new filter and then see how it goes
your window problem is either your switch or a realy check your fuses too
Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jimmy o.)

After work. 1 more hour!! Going to buy some stuff.

I'm doing a complete tune up which includes:

Spark Plugs
Wires
Getting a Cap & Rotor
Oil Filter
Filter
Oil
Tranny Honda ATF Fluid 9 Quarts. Draining it 3 times.

Should I get carb cleaner?

I was also going to buy this additive for the Oil... I forgot the name of it..Arrgggg it's popular though. You can also mix it in the gas. Forgot the name. See if that will fix some problems.

Then it's of to Radioshack to buy some Fuses for my car as soon as I see which ones are blown.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why in the world are you gonna change your trans fluid 3 times?
And the additive you speak of is it lucas? are you burning alot of oil
Old 09-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jimmy o.)

Because I'm going to drain it, fill it drive it around and drain it 1 or 2 more times to get the **** out of there. It's what I did on my 96 accord and it rid it of it's problem.

I'm going to check the IACV (idle air control valve) on that idling problem. See if I could buy one at Napa.

I'll check for vacuum leaks also.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gqstatus05)

UPDATE***

Ok. Today I did a tune up on the Civic.

Changed Spark Plugs, Distrubutor Cap & Rotor
New Spark Plug Wires
Filter (I opened the resonator box expecting to find a dirty filter but there was no filter to be found)

Did an oil change and drained all the fluids and refilled with new fluids.

Adjusted idle on car to 900 rpms and the car doesn't shut off.

The BAD:

The rpms are still jumping around and I took it for a drive to autozone and never been more scared in my life. It was a 5 minute drive but it felt along time. Car felt sluggish, RPMs were jumping. When I approached red light i noticed RPMs dropped to zero and tried to die on me. I pumped the gas and it went back up and to jumping around again.

I'm going to go outside now to see if I can find a leak somewhere. I bought some CARB cleaner and have to search on how to use the damn thing. This is my first time doing this kind of work on a car but I'm confident what I've done so far has been up to par. Any ideas or suggestions as to what the problem could be.

OH yeah FYI when I turn on the car the car stays steady idling at 900 rpms. I don't hear the engine sound increasing RPM's it's when I start to drive the thing. I really want to get this done today and buy the stuff I need. I have class in 4 hours so tht gives me 2 hours to work on it, and the rest of the time I need to review my notes for my test today and shower up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is not my daily driver, just a project car i'm working on.

BTW the car has a D16 motor in it. 95 Civic automatic
Old 09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gqstatus05)

Could it be Fuel Pump, IACV? I need ideas thanks.