Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Issue with new swap, looking for confirmation

Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with new swap, looking for confirmation

All right, so I get done with a D16Z6/auto swap into a 93 DX hatch that was originally a D15B7/auto. And yes I know autos are gay and slow but this car is my commuter. The problem is that the car is very, very sluggish. I got stuck going up a hill in my neighborhood, and there is smoke coming from exhaust. Not out of the back of the car but straight up from the cat conv area. The car temp is fine but the under hood and exhaust temp are crazy ******* hot. I'm thinking the cat is clogged. Is there a way to confirm besides just taking the exhaust apart and driving around on manifold only? And I also am still running the stock P06 ecu until i find a p28, could this be causing the issue? Any help, ideas appriciated.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Issue with new swap, looking for confirmation (mustninty20)

well maybe your cat is clogged or wore out.....like you said. but i have an auto p28 if you wanna get it.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Issue with new swap, looking for confirmation (that_eg_hatch_guy)

It cooled down enough to unbolt the exhaust so that it is dumping right off the manifold. It is better but still bogging down pretty bad. Any ideas? Is there something that I maybe need to do after doing a swap that I'm not thinking about?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually now that i think about it...its probably your ecu. what rpm does it start to bog down? the po6 doesnt have vtec...but your new motor does. your motor is basically waiting for your ecu to kick in vtec. thats probably your problem. i have an automatic p28 ecu from a d16z6!!! lol let me kno if you would like to get it. i will sell it for $75.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustninty20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It cooled down enough to unbolt the exhaust so that it is dumping right off the manifold. It is better but still bogging down pretty bad. Any ideas? Is there something that I maybe need to do after doing a swap that I'm not thinking about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are also running open header now on a 9:1 compression motor, don't expect it to be any less sluggish under those circumstances.

get a flashlight and look into the cat you should be able to tell if it's clogged.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Issue with new swap, looking for confirmation (forcefedferio)

eg sent you a pm. I put the exhaust back on now with a new cat and still having problems.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM

do you have a timing light?? check the ignition timing...possible that you have a foul plug(s), distributor rotor, or maybe just as simple as going lean but i doubt that lean as to get stuck up a hill...where did you get the motor? was it a reliable source?? check over all the basic **** first...let me know what happens
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Issue with new swap, looking for confirmation (circuitEG6)

change the ecu first and then go from there
Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Issue with new swap, looking for confirmation (fmrprojects)

Ya I'm hoping big time that its the ecu but not holding my breath because it is rough from the second you start the car, not just the VTEC RPM range. I dont have a timing light or even know how to use one. I will ask around though and see what i can do. I also noticed today that the underhood temp seems to be way hot. The temp gauge stays mid way and does not even get close to overheating but when you drive a little and open the hood it is cooking under there. I know that does not make much sense but I'm hoping maybe something sounds familiar to someone and they have seen it before. Also I still have two map sensor plugs, the original one on the firewall that i hooked up and the motor harness one that is just hanging out not connected. I will post back as i try things. Thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Almost forgot, I got the mtoor at The Hobby Store in Strasburg VA. So I'm hoping its not a bad motor issue since the motor and tranny were bought from businesses.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the solution....undo your battery for a while (clears computer) and unplug your green plug near the dizzy and reconnect the battery and it will run better but you need a p28 to run it right
Old 10-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pythoner)

Alright guys I finally got an ecu and installed it today and drove around. The car is feeling a expletive of a lot better. There are still some sluggish issues with the car but not nearly as bad. But now I think I can troubleshoot the issue correctly with the right ecu in there. The car is still doing all of the same sluggish driving but not so bad that I'm getting stuck driving up a hill.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mustninty20)

Alright so the car is officially back to running like crap.The only difference now is that with the p28 when vtec kicks in the car moves pretty quick but until vtec kicks in, the car is a dog. I bought a timing light because that seems like were i need to start, i read all over the place on how to test the timing but when I look straight down at teh pointer with the light, all i see is the alternator belt the engine mount blocks the marks on the pulley, how do i judge what the timing is? I have already cleaned the pulley up so there is no dirt or grease blocking the marks. Also i was seeing with the light a set of 3 white lines and a set of 2 white lines with the light but i had to basically lean all the way into the engine bay, not even close to the pointer to see them. Anybody who wants to attempt to give me a crash course with the timing light on here, please do if you think you can. And also any other thoughts on the what problem is, please post. NOTE I have already replaced the plugs, wires, water pump, timing belt.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and we can add fuel filter to the list of things that have been replaced.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so now im outta ideas. I cant really get a clear reading on the timing,so I just loosened the three bolts for the dizzy and turned it back and forth until I found a spot that had the car driving decently. It is OK right now but still has a lot of hesitation in it.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (broke91hatch)

No ****! I'm out of ideas and need to get to work on sunday, which is a 70 mile commute, so I'm doing what I gotta do.