Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ipod To Car

Old 04-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod To Car

i have a eg hatch and i have an after market stereo in, nothing special. I saw a car that had a wire coming out the dash that plugs into mp3 headphone jack. ( what wire is this and how do you instal that. Is this a good cheap way or is there something beter
Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Ipod To Car (T Rick)

bump it up
Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ipod To Car (T Rick)

It's a cable that u plug into a stereo that has an aux mode. On the back of the stereo unit will be a white and red port marked aux.

You can go to bestbuy or circuit city or even walmart and pick up a aux cable that has the red and white plugs for the stereo and a headphone plug on the other end for the ipod.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ipod To Car (ntrider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ntrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a cable that u plug into a stereo that has an aux mode. On the back of the stereo unit will be a white and red port marked aux.

You can go to bestbuy or circuit city or even walmart and pick up a aux cable that has the red and white plugs for the stereo and a headphone plug on the other end for the ipod.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Semi true...from what I know they are all brand specific and some are even model specific meaning if you get an alpine whatever model #1 headunit, the ipod cord may not work for alpine model #2
Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
who peed in my canteen!?

Default Re: Ipod To Car (broketuner-Sol_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-Sol_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Semi true...from what I know they are all brand specific and some are even model specific meaning if you get an alpine whatever model #1 headunit, the ipod cord may not work for alpine model #2</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think the op just wants to plug in his ipod into his aux jacks.
I dont think he mentioned his cd deck being model specific for the ipod.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ipod To Car (broketuner-Sol_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-Sol_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Semi true...</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is the setup I have for my car. so FOR STEREOs with aux jack ports on the back you can get a cord that has the red and white plugs on one end and the headphone plug on the other. My cord is monster brand I got it at bestbuy. I didn't say anything about using the ipod cord.

Now you can go off on other stereo units, like kenwood or pioneer, that you are able to control your ipod through the head unit. The OP ask about the cord
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T Rick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i I saw a car that had a wire coming out the dash that plugs into mp3 headphone jack. ( what wire is this and how do you instal that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And to answer his question at the end yes their is the other way of buying the stereo that the face unit will interface with the ipod and control it, not sure how much they are. But the cheap way, if his stereo has the aux ports, is to get the cable.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, never knew such a thing existed. considered the possibility of it working. all this time i've been wasting my money on fm transmitters
Old 04-10-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Re: (burnitdown)

you also can buy a fm transmittor all you do is tune your radio to a specific station like 89.1 and turn the transmitter and ipod on and the ipod would play on the radio only down side i seen to this is you have to turn the ipod volume all the way up.and you can get a transmiter for like 30.00and works on house or car radio http://www.smarthome.com/9198.html walmart has these aLSO CHEAPER
Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DAVE15401)

what brand is your deck? Pioneer has a box that plugs into the cd changer control on the head unit that also connects to your ipod that lets you control your ipod from your cd player. It also charges it while its plugged in and the sound quality will kick the **** out of any fm transmitter or aux in. With my experiences with the aux in and the fm transmitter, you have to turn the ipod all the way up and before you know it, your battery is dead and you are screwed.
later
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hall97civic)

i have an alpine thats ******* amazing. the ipod doesnt plug in on mine from the head phone jack, it plugs into the bottom just like it does on a computer, so it stays charged. and i dont control the ipod from the ipod like everyone else does, i scroll through everything on my apline headunit. its the best head unit i've ever had.

i cant remember the numbers on it though.

here found it on ebay. you just have to buy the wire seperate, mine came with it. just ask for this headunit at any stereo shop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-CDA...wItem
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pr0ject93hb)

and heres the cable for it
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-KCE...wItem
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pr0ject93hb)

dont get an fm trans....most of the time the sound suxzor. Direct connections always FTW
Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah you can get the cables at radio shack for under $10. You want a RCA to 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo mini phone plug adapter. I had this back in the day for my CD player before they had the cassette adapters. A lot of the newer radios now are coming with the 1/8 (headphone) plugs right on the face. I have a pioneer head unit in my 944 that was under $100 with one.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (Gear Dog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gear Dog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah you can get the cables at radio shack for under $10. You want a RCA to 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo mini phone plug adapter. I had this back in the day for my CD player before they had the cassette adapters. A lot of the newer radios now are coming with the 1/8 (headphone) plugs right on the face. I have a pioneer head unit in my 944 that was under $100 with one.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah or you can plug it in & out of your AMP and run no Radio Deck w your i pod or mp3 player in a recaro seat in your vent!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oemindaclmt)

Go with the cable that has a plug that connects to the data port on the IPod. The connection to your headunit may be usb, ps2 or another type of port, but not your aux RCA input. Youll be much happier. It will charge the IPod for you and the sound quality is un-matched compared to the... shall I say it, "ghetto" rca aux input to headphone jack method. Definately dont waste your time on the FM transmitter... theyre a pain in the *** and have the sound quality of listening to the radio.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: (jdmztrane)

i dont have a place to plug into my faceplate. If someone wants to sell me one for pretty cheap then ok but as of now i need to use the aux in . I know not to use the transmitters because they have prolems and their sound quality isn't that great.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmztrane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmztrane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> shall I say it, "ghetto" rca aux input to headphone jack method.
Just my 2 cents </TD></TR></TABLE>

Care to explain how it's "ghetto"? You plug in the back of the unit so you can have the cord hidden by the center console unit and have the headphone plug pop out by the driver seat. Never see the cord only when you have your ipod hooked up to it. Only con is that the ipod doesn't charge.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ntrider)

By ghetto, I mean its the cheap fix for plugging in your IPod. Its sound quality is less than that of the digital cable. With an RCA cable and headphone jack, you are converting sound from digital to analog and back to digital..... losing sound quality in the process. I had it this way for 2 days with my IPod until I found the digital cable. There is quite a large difference in sound quality, plus you get the added bonus of charging your IPod with the digital cable.

Only drawback to the digital cable is that it costs a little more. I was willing to spend the extra couple bones to have a charger and better sound quality.

Oh and my cord is hidden quite well. I'll go take some pics of it today if I get the chance.

To the OP: What headunit do you have? Ill try to find the cable for you online.

Modified by jdmztrane at 10:02 AM 4/11/2007