Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

"ionized" Headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 "ionized" Headlight issue

Hey all, this is my first post i do believe. But i have a problem identifying what exactly is on the inside of my headlights to make them look this way, ive tried searching and posting on every forum i have, including SMD and noone has a clue what it is. The reason i want to know is because the passenger side is cracking and i want to re do it since i kinda like them. any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: "ionized" Headlight issue

That yellow crap is on the inside? When it rains does water get inside the light? Are you sure that's on the inside?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
That yellow crap is on the inside? When it rains does water get inside the light? Are you sure that's on the inside?
yeah its on the inside and the only one that gets condensation on the inside is the one thats cracking. i guess either theres a crack somewhere or its just not sealed very well. whoever had the lights did it and i have no idea how or what they did to make them like this.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like it is time for new housings, ha ha. I have never seen this naturally happen, usually it is an aftermarket look. Up!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by infinitypro12
Looks like it is time for new housings, ha ha. I have never seen this naturally happen, usually it is an aftermarket look. Up!

no your misunderstanding the post, this is aftermarket lol but i didnt do it, the person before me did and thats all they did to the car (for whatever reason) and i wanna re do the passenger side light so it looks as good as the drivers side. whether its ionized or yellow paint mixed with oil or whatever the hell it is lol
Old 02-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a film. something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lamin...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, sorry my bad I was speed reading. In that case I really don't know, could be how the housing is made. It could be some compound that the manufacturer uses and possibly just wore off. This is the first time I have heard of trying to restore one of these and would like to see it happen just for reference. Kudos!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by infinitypro12
Oh, sorry my bad I was speed reading. In that case I really don't know, could be how the housing is made. It could be some compound that the manufacturer uses and possibly just wore off. This is the first time I have heard of trying to restore one of these and would like to see it happen just for reference. Kudos!
well if i can figure out whatever it is on the inside ill put up a DIY and pics on restoring something that basically noone knows about lol
Old 02-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a coating actually similar to what they add to Glasses only different Better example would be the stuff they add to those foglights in that case its ionized on to the glass. Or the materials that they use are vaporised on to the glass in the case of the headlights its probably a version of what glasses lenses are only on sterroids
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
Its a coating actually similar to what they add to Glasses only different Better example would be the stuff they add to those foglights in that case its ionized on to the glass. Or the materials that they use are vaporised on to the glass in the case of the headlights its probably a version of what glasses lenses are only on sterroids
but how do you do it? lol its kinda like ski goggles or whatever, ive never seen another car with it like this, from the side it looks straight purple, from the underside its straight green, from the middle of the car its blue, and looking straight at it, its a mixture of all of the above lol
Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure how exactly they do it its a coating i belive its dipped in a cirtain solution that sort of Polorizes the lense of the headlight i have no clue where you would find this lol
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure how exactly they do it its a coating i belive its dipped in a cirtain solution that sort of Polorizes the lense of the headlight i have no clue where you would find this lol
well i guess the next question is to get new lights and to ctr or to colormatch then?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its up to you on that one I like the regular chrome housing JDM lights my self CTRs look awesome but expensive the OEM JDM ones look fine to me. In fact i wish i would have gotten the chrom housing domani lights instead of the DIY gunmetal ones.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its up to you on that one I like the regular chrome housing JDM lights my self CTRs look awesome but expensive the OEM JDM ones look fine to me. In fact i wish i would have gotten the chrom housing domani lights instead of the DIY gunmetal ones.
the thing is that i absolutely hate chrome... even the door unlock switch bugs the hell outta me lol i think i can probably get a set of DIY CTRs done in a weekend out of some ebay lights
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only problem i had with ebay lights is they will do the same down the road. mine started to get condensation and the chrome off the light reflector started chipping off and the lenses started to crack also the black paint started to bubble. i would be carefull about them Some companies make good ones some are just no good.so beware! If you do get them make sure you dont fool around with the headlight bulbs and turn signals and they should be fine. And make sure you park the car in the garage because the sun just destroyed my headlights
Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only problem i had with ebay lights is they will do the same down the road. mine started to get condensation and the chrome off the light reflector started chipping off and the lenses started to crack also the black paint started to bubble. i would be carefull about them Some companies make good ones some are just no good.so beware! If you do get them make sure you dont fool around with the headlight bulbs and turn signals and they should be fine. And make sure you park the car in the garage because the sun just destroyed my headlights
well if i get some, the chrome part will be repainted, corners will be cleared, and it'll get some hids, and be reasealed and a bead of silicon ran around the outside, i had a zx2 back when i was gay and had a ford (metaphorically gay) and the silicon never let it leak into the housing once.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then thats good that you will do it because im sure at there factory they do it half assed lol. Some Ebay headlights are based on the EUropean /JDM headlights and dont have a relfector at all. Some of them have the clear refelctors but look for the ones that dont have any some actually come with city light holes i would get those for authentic JDM look
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then thats good that you will do it because im sure at there factory they do it half assed lol. Some Ebay headlights are based on the EUropean /JDM headlights and dont have a relfector at all. Some of them have the clear refelctors but look for the ones that dont have any some actually come with city light holes i would get those for authentic JDM look
yeah, most of them are chinese made and they get paid about 10 cents an hour, so they do their moneys worth lol
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yeah well ebay is a crap shoot anyways
Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yeah well ebay is a crap shoot anyways
i usually buy from ebay and make stuff better than brand name, takes a little more work but its like making it more "mine" and like i made it the way it is. like im getting an obx turbo header from there and gonna brace it, reweld it, and do all the flange and wastegate work, im sure the 38mm wastegate flange isnt really 38mm lol
Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cmamtower
i usually buy from ebay and make stuff better than brand name, takes a little more work but its like making it more "mine" and like i made it the way it is. like im getting an obx turbo header from there and gonna brace it, reweld it, and do all the flange and wastegate work, im sure the 38mm wastegate flange isnt really 38mm lol
38 OD pry lol
Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

38 OD pry lol
im going for a viatara built block. stock head. t25 on 10 lbs for now, once i get everything done. gt30r on 25lbs : )
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice! im to afraid to turbo mine i just got done rebuilding it fresh and i just want to drive it mabey down the road