Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

intorduction / a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intorduction / a couple questions

Hey, y'all. I'm new here. Just got a '98 Civic DX hatchback. I hope i'm posting in the right place, i'm a honda dummy - hell, i'm a piston engine dummy

I got my civic as a daily beater to get to and from work, as my Rx-7 is giving me 19yr old sports car type problems if anyone has any questions pertaining to mazda rotaries, i should be able to help out

i was wondering, are gauge clusters from same-gen to same-gen civics interchangeable? i was thinking about picking up a cluster fom an EX so i can have a tach. are the connections already there or will i have to custom wire something? or would it be a better idea to get an external tach? if so, what would you guys suggest in terms of a subtle aftermarket tach that i can mount behind the steering wheel?

also, a friend told me that all late model civic engines are vtec engines. this would lead me to believe that i could use an ECU from an EX model to bump the power output up a notch but if that's not the case, go ahead and tell me i'm an idiot or something

also, what's the market like for the stock option civic wheels? mine has these ugly-*** deluxe wheel covers that really don't like. how likely do y'all think it would be for me to find a set of stockers for a reasonable price? and what's the civic's bolt pattern? i wanna guess it's 4x100.

anyway, good day, and good luck with your civics.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intorduction / a couple questions (rotaryguy)

yes clusters are interchangable.
EX cluster plugs right into your 98 civic.
also 99-00 civic si clusters work.

adding the EX ecu wont give you vtec or any power for that matter lol.

the market for stock option civic wheels.. hmm.. well the bolt pattern is 4x100.
get some civic si wheels
Old 01-21-2002, 12:29 PM

Default Re: intorduction / a couple questions (jonas)

the wiring harness is already there to hook up to the tach?

also, (i haven't picked up the car yet) is there a rev-limiter on this car? i'd assume there is. i just ask 'cause i autoX and wouldn't mind trying out the civic for that. my Rx-7 has an overrev (shift) buzzer that's pretty helpful while dodging the cones (they jump out at you!)...
Old 01-22-2002, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: intorduction / a couple questions (rotaryguy)

as for ur rotary..there s a place in milpitas, CA that rebuilds them..didnt really pay much attention to the name..but saw their add in Import Tuner..come on down and spend a few days at Great America and then race on home
Old 01-22-2002, 10:01 AM

Default Re: intorduction / a couple questions (deepnite)

thanks for the info, but my 12a has great compression (8kg/cm^2 - not too shabby for 177k mi). no need to rebuild yet. but i plan on thrashing it this summer in the autocrosses, now that i've managed to procure a reliable daily beater. when it does give up the ghost, i'm going to try my hand at rebuilding it myself. those wankels are notoriously simple.

[Modified by rotaryguy, 7:01 PM 1/22/2002]