Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Interresting sound... should be looked at

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interresting sound... should be looked at

I have a 97 Civic Ex, manual tranny, Bone stock, no mods, has 118,000 miles on it.

Ok, I just got my civic like 3 months ago and it sounded perfectly fine when i got it, so this sound pretty much just started happening like a week ago. For about five minutes after i start the car and drive, during accelleration, from about 1500rpm-3200 rpm there is a putting sound, like the engine is putting or struggling, it doesn't feel like there is any loss of power and it sounds like its coming from the driver side/center of the engine.

The sound ONLY happens when i'm accelerating, not if i'm completely stopped reving the engine. Its not that loud and if i roll up the windows i can't hear it. After i've been driving for about 5-10 minutes the sound goes away and doesn't come back untill i start the car again, and then the sound will stay for 5-10 minutes then go away untill the next start.

I do need a new muffler, the mechanic that checked the car out when i bought it said there is an internal piece in the muffler broken, it rattles when i'm iddling could this cause any wierd backpressure that would make the engine sound like this?? I'm thinking no because then the sound would be happening the entire drive time, which it isn't. Also, I just got my oild changed and they said that my engine was about 1/4 not full, and i have NO oil leaks, however, the last place i got my oil changed at i got into a confrontation with one of the mechanics for trying to rip me off (they thought i was an idiot and tried to sell me something i didn't need and i called them on it.) and maybe he didn't fill the oil up all the way, i don't know. So it could be burning oil, or couldn't be

i tried recording the sound, but the wind distorted the sound. I might try again though. anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Interresting sound... should be looked at (n00bcivicowner)

Is the sound like a knocking or more of a rattle. Honestly this could be anything, if its knocking could be early signs of spun rod bearing. The muffler thing wouldnt cause any back pressure, just an annoying sound that wouldnt go away if the car warms up, same with the cat. Try getting that sound because i dont know of any sound that goes away after the car warms up.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interresting sound... should be looked at (Luserkid)

the sound is more of a sputtering comeing from the engine compartment, no engine knock or anything like that. The sound happens the first 5 mins of driving during acceleration after the car is started, EVEN if the car is already warm. Only happens when applying the gas between the rpms stated above, and if i use less throttle the sound isn't as loud and distinct but the more throttle the more putting and sputtering and the louder and more distinct it is. Where in cali are you from? Maybe i can swing by and let you hear the noise??
Old 06-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumb action!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 PM

Have you had your valves realigned?

Honestly it's probably the valves. Take the car to a shop and pay them to realign your valves, do a regular maintenance and even get a compression check. That'll let you know what's up.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Essenar83)

hmmm... didn't think of valves....you think the longer the engine is on they start to re-align themselves so the sound goes away? is that even possible? I was thinking about the compression check too. Once i get my tax return i'm gonna go nuts with the routine maintanence timing belt, plugs, wires, muffler, etc...
Old 06-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Valves will act funny like that if you drive hard even sometimes and don't have them realigned after about 40-50k miles. The sound goes away because the car is running for a little while and oil covers your valve train more.

I'm pretty sure it's the valves.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Essenar83)

Hey thanks for your input. I'll def. check out the vavles. Do you adjust them up and down or side to side just out of curiosity? I did a search last night about valve adjustments and what not but everyone said how much to adjust them but not which direction....i would assume side to side?