Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Intermittent hard starting 99 Civic.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent hard starting 99 Civic.

Hello all, brand new to this place and figured I would see if Honda people could help as my mechanic is at a loss.

I have a '99 Civic and the thing sometimes refuses to start. If I pull power from one of the fuel injectors, it will slowly sputter to life. I can then plug the injector back in and the idle speed shoots up noticeably higher.(No tach on the car, but I know how it sounds.) I cannot for the life of me replicate the conditions that this happens under. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold.

There are no codes thrown when this happens, so that is why my mechanic has drawn a blank. There was an idle control code at one point that was cleared, but every hard start since then gives me nothing.

I had been running into a problem where the car would just die on me while driving. Lights would go, engine would stop. I'd drop it into neutral and it would then crank over just fine. After lurking here, I saw there was an ignition switch recall for that year and had that replaced as well. That appears to have solved that issue.

This hard start is driving me batty though. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Intermittent hard starting 99 Civic.

Does the CEL work?

When the engine won't start:

1) Listen for whether the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds when the key is turned from off to ON(II).

2) Check for spark at all 4 spark plugs. Click the Spark link in my signature.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Trial User

Sorry, forgot to post that. Yup. The last time I had it in, it tripped on the O2 sensor. Got that out, cleared it, passed eCheck and just got another pop. I've been getting it on a leak in the evap canister. Had a shop put smoke to it and that is where the smoke was coming from. Going to check this new code tonight. So yes, the CEL does work.

So far, according to my mechanic, nothing popped regarding the starting issue.

Edit: He also says it is getting fuel and a spark.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BigGonz
Going to check this new code tonight.
Definitely pull the code whenever the CEL turns on, and then reset the ECU. Repeat again whenever the CEL turns on.

So far, according to my mechanic, nothing popped regarding the starting issue.

Edit: He also says it is getting fuel and a spark.
The mechanic's tests would ONLY yield useful information when the engine won't start. Therefore, the next time the engine won't start, you should do these two basic tests and also pull any CEL codes that pop up.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Trial User

I know this next question may sound stupid, but the ECU will only show a code if the engine does not start and will not hold the code in memory?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ECU of 96-00 Civics will store codes in its memory whenever the CEL turns on. For some unexplained reason, this is not necessarily true in all cases for 92-95 Civics.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Trial User

I'll hit up one of the parts stores to get it checked and post the results tonight. Thanks for the assist.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Trial User

Okay, only pulled one code from the ECU and that was P1457: EVAP control system leakage.

After leaving work and hitting the first Advance Auto, it slowly sputtered into life. After hitting the second one, where their machine was working, the car turned right over. Like I said, I cannot replicate how it happens and it is driving me batty.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a harsher version of the intermittent start problem my del sol is currently having. I'm replacing my fuel filter tomorrow to see if that helps. Is your fuel filter really really old?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Trial User

Not to my knowledge. Like I said, the thing is getting fuel and if it just cranks, I disconnect one of the injectors and it catches. Plug it back in and I am off to the races until the next time.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Trial User

Good morning bump for info/help.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Trial User

Bumpity-bump bump.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Trial User

I'm still hoping for a bit of help, ladies and gents. Bampf.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Trial User

Okay, still not getting codes, but here is another clue I am hearing. It was a bit sluggish starting again, did not have to pull power to an injector this time, but it was dicey. Once it caught, the idle shot up like it was the middle of winter...zooom. Dunno if that helps.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Trial User

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure it is not iginition related, like the coil? You said you have spark?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Trial User

I haven't a clue. Even my mechanic is clueless, but I am going to shop it around to see if anyone else can figure it out. There is no rhyme nor reason to it happening. Could be hot, cold...whatever. AC on, off. Sometimes it will turn right over, other times I have to pull an injector just to get it to sputter to life.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can guess all day long and get nowhere. If you test, answers will come. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT

When the engine won't start:

1) Listen for whether the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds when the key is turned from off to ON(II).

2) Check for spark at all 4 spark plugs. Click the Spark link in my signature.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Trial User

Been there and everything checks out, Ron. Good spark, I can hear the fuel pump prime and it has good pressure.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been there and everything checks out, Ron. Good spark, I can hear the fuel pump prime and it has good pressure.
Why not mention this critical information earlier?

Was this done when the engine won't start?
If so, what was the color of spark at the plugs? If it's white spark, check whether the fuel injectors spray fuel while cranking the engine, again only when the engine won't start.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Trial User

Because I am just getting my legs under me on this forum. Sorry for being noobish. White spark, so I will check the injectors next. I spent a bit of time talking to my mech about it again today, he thinks it is the IACV, but I'm willing to work through the steps and figure it out for certain. He says it acts like it is getting too much fuel and not enough air, hence pulling an injector and it sputtering to life.

One step at a time...this is just a frustrating one. Thanks for bearing with me.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because I am just getting my legs under me on this forum. Sorry for being noobish. White spark, so I will check the injectors next. I spent a bit of time talking to my mech about it again today, he thinks it is the IACV, but I'm willing to work through the steps and figure it out for certain. He says it acts like it is getting too much fuel and not enough air, hence pulling an injector and it sputtering to life.

One step at a time...this is just a frustrating one. Thanks for bearing with me.
You still have not stated whether ALL test results mentioned were taken when the engine won't start. You generally learn nothing unless the tests are done when the problem exists.

What CEL codes are currently thrown? If you reset the ECU, do the same codes return?

Does the engine tend to have a low idle speed after it starts?

When was the engine last given a full tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition timing, fuel filter)?

You can only get help if you provide detailed and good information. Members and you can guess what the problem may be, but this is generally futile and expensive. Solid testing and diagnosis is obviously the correct way to proceed.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Trial User

Okay, I have not tested the CEL while the engine was not starting.

The current and onlyCEL code living in the ECU is p1457, the EVAP canister. I was under the impression it would remember the code and not that I needed to catch it ONLY when it happened.

After pulling the injector and getting it to start, it idles high. (This is ONLY when I need to pull it and that is catch as catch can. No OBVIOUS rhyme or reason.)

The engine was last given a full tune-up less than a month ago.

Trust me, I appreciate the help you have given. It has been a lot, and I know this. It is a whack on the skull on troubleshooting. I can troubleshoot a PC, but for some reason I vapor lock on this damned car.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I have not tested the CEL while the engine was not starting...The current and only CEL code living in the ECU is p1457, the EVAP canister. I was under the impression it would remember the code and not that I needed to catch it ONLY when it happened.
I never asked whether you pulled the CEL codes when the car would not start. I asked about spark and fuel (pump and injectors). Still you have not satisfactorily answered these questions after several prompts. Therein lies the problem. You fail to read responses carefully and to answer the questions. This has nothing to do with being a noob.

For P1457, check the seal on the gas cap and for any vacuum leaks.

The engine was last given a full tune-up less than a month ago.
What do you consider a full tune up? What was done? What brand of parts was used?

If you want help, then you must try to understand the questions asked and then to answer all of them. Otherwise, find a competent mechanic and pay him for his services.