Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

intermittent dying while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent dying while driving

I have. 95 1.5 non vtec. Car has developed a random sputter almost like a missfire but doesnt run bad just stumbles real quick does this off and on and will die at times while going down the road sometimes it will not start back up for awhile does turn over just real slow like the battery is weak but if you wait awhile it will start right off. In the last two weeks have replaced plugs and wires it was Better for a few days but acting up again. Cap, rotor, coil and icm have been replaced In the last year. Seeing how the last time it died and wouldnt start back up was as I pulled into work so was unable to check for anything. But it would barely turn over. Have not been able to get it to die and not start again but still stumbles and dies but can pop clutch and restart. Havent had time to dig into it yet and it being intermittent and while driving. Possible coil or icm again ? I drive 60 miles to work have been taking the gas guzzling truck 😣 any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: intermittent dying while driving

Weird it's still doing it after replacing those certain parts. Take the icm to a auto parts store to test voltage, if it's good then I would start by replacing the whole dizzy. But before you do that, check out the ignition coil in it.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar issue last year. and honestly not sure what really happened. but I replaced the ecu and the car started. was running a 94 civic dx and would be driving down the road and it would just die. did this for a about a month before it wouldn't start again. figured it was the distributor, but replacing the ecu fixed the problem. maybe you can ask around and barrow one locally?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 52kelley
I have. 95 1.5 non vtec. Car has developed a random sputter almost like a missfire but doesnt run bad just stumbles real quick does this off and on and will die at times while going down the road sometimes it will not start back up for awhile does turn over just real slow like the battery is weak but if you wait awhile it will start right off. In the last two weeks have replaced plugs and wires it was Better for a few days but acting up again. Cap, rotor, coil and icm have been replaced In the last year. Seeing how the last time it died and wouldnt start back up was as I pulled into work so was unable to check for anything. But it would barely turn over. Have not been able to get it to die and not start again but still stumbles and dies but can pop clutch and restart. Havent had time to dig into it yet and it being intermittent and while driving. Possible coil or icm again ? I drive 60 miles to work have been taking the gas guzzling truck 😣 any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Check the main relay for bad solder joints. Swap a known good
main relay.

Last edited by MadVladCivic; 10-10-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: mistake in word order
Old 10-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe totally off base on this but did you check the alternator connections and wires going to and from to make sure there aren't any wires that are rubbing and exposed causing a short?
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

What CEL codes are thrown?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had similar symptoms, & was told to replace the IACV.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No codes. Alternator wiring is good. Its just weird that when it does die and will not start right back up that it turns over real slow like a dead battery/vapor locked. But if it is ignition related would that cause a vapor lock ? And cause the slow turning when cranking. If is sits for a while it pops right off. Has me baffled