Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Intermittent dimming lights, power loss, CD deck going nuts....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent dimming lights, power loss, CD deck going nuts....HELP!

This is driving me crazy.....

Car is a 93Si hatch with a D15B in it currently...(long story)

The car had functional foglights till the twincam was pulled and the Dblock put back in.

I traced it to a ground wire that wasn't grounded at all....which explained the intermittent operation. I proceeded to ground the foglights to the tranny --> chassis location.

About a day after, I had a Sony deck removed and replaced with another Sony unit by my friend.....

we took a short road trip about 400miles round trip and on our way there...the deck would automatically shut off and then turn back on again and it kept on blinking on and off....it actually stayed off long enough for the Sony reminder beeps to come on...then it would proceed to play again.

We discovered that the motor was missing the engine to chassis ground and in my efforts to kill this problem, I proceeded to add TWO engine to chassis grounds. The car seemed to function just fine and I thought everything was good to go. However, the problem PERSISTS. Can adding two chassis grounds cause the type of problems I am experiencing?

I placed one ground off the valve cover to the rad support and the other one also from the back of the valve cover to the driver side shock tower.

Sometimes the battery light in my gauge cluster will blink as well when I am driving. The problem doesn't seem to go away when I drive the car hard either. (Assuming with higher revs, the alt. will produce more power?)

With the lights dimming and going bright, from inside the car to the headlights, I can actually feel power loss/gains (more loss though ) makes it feel like my twin cam VTaK y0!

In my efforts to fix the problem, I have already

-cleaned all of the known grounding points with emery paper (chassis to tranny/rad support, thermostat housing, neg. batt term). Did I miss one?
-Added an extra ground from valve cover to shock tower
-Checked the connection to the alternator to ensure it is tight
-Removed the old skool foglights and fugged up looking relay + switch
-Cleaned both battery terminals thoroughly AND wires going into fusebox
-Checked all the fuses and replaced misc. ones which PROPER ratings

The car was working just fine when I had to drive it 850miles or so back home from outta town... I'm seriously stumped and am looking at blaming it on the alternator.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intermittent dimming lights, power loss, CD deck going nuts....HELP! (RagingAngel)

nobody knows?
Old 08-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Intermittent dimming lights, power loss, CD deck going nuts....HELP! (RagingAngel)

take it to an electrical technician... so far you have only found temporary solutions, the real problem needs to be fixed!! trust me
-Bryan-