Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Intermitent Vtec, VERY odd

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent Vtec, VERY odd

The car is a 2000 civc si (all factory expect a cai which has been on the car since the beginning) 5 speed b16a2.

The vtec usually comes in at about 6400 rpm (which is normal), the car needs to be moving at least 10 mpg and is at operating temperature.

Now this same problem happened about the same time last year. There is no check engine light, the oil is full (currently using 5w30 regular kendal oil), i get the car to operating temperature by driving it not very hard at all then let it rip.

The first pull in first gear into vtec works, then after that into second gear vtec does not work, trying again in fist gear it does not work. Turn the car off let it sit for like 5 minuets vtec pulls in first but again not in second gear or any other again.

Now something i noticed when vtec is working the rpms stay up around 2500rpm and even sometimes all the way up at 4500 rpm then drop down to about 3500rpm. The engine does not go back down to idle (2k) until your almost to a complete stop or are at a complete stop.

When vtec is NOT working, the idle drops imadielty (when in neutral when moving) to about 2000rpm or less. Then the idle at a stopped speed is anywhere between 1k and 2.1k rpm.

I've tried resetting the computer the car does the same thing. I've also cleaned my my map sensor, I've cleaned the screen for the vtec solenoid.

--------------
So now I am at a loss. Does anybody have any good ideas? I'm not really new to hondas as you can tell, but this one is kinda wierd to me. Its like when it gets to operating temps the oil is not thick enough to open the switch, i am about to change to a 10w30 if you guys think that- that may be a good idea. i also change my oil on a regular basis. (i live in mn and its getting warmer out now so...)

Any help would be great. So thanx in advance.