Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

interior lighing ceiling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lighing ceiling.

okay. yeah i searched but i want to improve my reading light or w/e ya call it. one on the headliner. i pulled it out already i was thinking hitting up the Junk yard and pulling one from a different car. one that lights everything up better. 96 ek. very poor lighting. anyone have any suggestions to this problem before i go through wiring up a different light? thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: interior lighing ceiling. (mastakmk)

Try a LED bulb 96EK FTW
Old 12-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: interior lighing ceiling. (McDonagh)

have you tried this? i still doubt it will be bright enough to light up the inside of the car. thats why i thought to get another light and wire it up. i thought about the led idea but just didn't think it would work to nicely. anyone else?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

An LED light won't help much in the dome light. Put a maplight form a '98-'00 EX or Si and you'll have better lighting, especially up front.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

its not meant for reading, i don't think. I think its so you can see at night to put your seatbelts on, and maybe so you can find the ignition with your key!

Is it not bright enough for even that?

Otherwise, I am thinking about installing WHITE neons around the ceiling (where curtain airbags are in newer cars) so I can see better inside the car. Is that a cheezy idea? its not rice, b/c it won't look fast if I'm sitting there reading a map!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:21 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (LemonLime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LemonLime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not meant for reading, i don't think. I think its so you can see at night to put your seatbelts on, and maybe so you can find the ignition with your key!

Otherwise, I am thinking about installing WHITE neons around the ceiling (where curtain airbags are in newer cars) so I can see better inside the car. Is that a cheezy idea? its not rice, b/c it won't look fast if I'm sitting there reading a map!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
The light the OP is talking about is the dome light. There are two different dome lights in USDM '96-'00 Civics. There's the one in the EX and Si and then the one in the other models. The EX/Si one I believe is brighter. This light sits too far back to be used for the front occupants as a light for reading.

As I said above, the EX and Si trims also have the map light up front, but only on the '98-'00 model years. This light is plenty bright enough to read by, as I have done many times before.

If you want a light bright enough up front to allow you to read, I would recommend the dome light. There is a how-to for installing the stock one on a car that does not have one from the factory. If you don't want to do that, you're going to have to stick to flashlights.

Oh, and I have an LED bulb in my dome light in my '98 EX and it's actually DARKER than the stock bulb.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (LemonLime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LemonLime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not meant for reading, i don't think. I think its so you can see at night to put your seatbelts on, and maybe so you can find the ignition with your key!

Otherwise, I am thinking about installing WHITE neons around the ceiling (where curtain airbags are in newer cars) so I can see better inside the car. Is that a cheezy idea? its not rice, b/c it won't look fast if I'm sitting there reading a map!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds bad to me. Plus, if it's visible form outside of the car, it's illegal. Raw neon = illegal.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.leddomelight.com/ try this
Old 12-15-2007, 08:53 PM
H-T White Ops

One of the problems I've noticed with the '96-'00 domes lights is that the front occupants' heads are in the way of the light. So even if it were brighter, it wouldn't help much.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

yeah... can you find that how to.. it would be awesome to see how someone else did it b4 i work on it. thanks nofx
Old 12-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: (mastakmk)

http://www.jdmcivic.com/forums....html

there is a diy. if anyone is looking for the same thing i am.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (mastakmk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mastakmk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.jdmcivic.com/forums....html

there is a diy. if anyone is looking for the same thing i am. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, it's posted here too.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=454651

I searched for "dome light install", narrowed it to archived threads in '92-'00 Civic section and checked off to search post content.