Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Interior fan only blows hot air...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Interior fan only blows hot air...

Yeah, I have a question for you guys believe it or not My interior fan only blows hot air. If I move the tab all the way to the left, then it blows midly cool air, but its still warm. If I move it slightly to the right, its warm air. If I move it all the way to warm...it becomes an inferno.

Now, when I slide the tab all the way over to "cool," and then turn the A/C on, it blows cold. But I want to get cold air without having to turn the A/C on. Has anyone run across this problem before?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Interior fan only blows hot air... (BauleyCivic)

The little plastic tab that holds the control wire for the valve in place has probably broken off... I'll see if I can find some pics to further explain...
edit:
Either that or the valve on the firewall (the one that lets hot water into the heater core) is worn...
Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 AM

well, if outside temperature is high and air is hot, no matter what you do it won't be cold other than turning a/c on- haha
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Interior fan only blows hot air... (miahmouse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The little plastic tab that holds the control wire for the valve in place has probably broken off... I'll see if I can find some pics to further explain...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amdxmania &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, if outside temperature is high and air is hot, no matter what you do it won't be cold other than turning a/c on- haha
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I forgot to add, it does this even when its ~40 degrees outside. The air outside is colder than the cold air coming from the vent.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Have you checked the heater core valve? Maybe it's sticking open slightly.

Edit: Nevermind. Like miahmouse said.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The little plastic tab that holds the control wire for the valve in place has probably broken off... I'll see if I can find some pics to further explain...
edit:
Either that or the valve on the firewall (the one that lets hot water into the heater core) is worn...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is the cause for my car, no matter how many time I adjusted the wire going to the valve.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right, I can't find any pics that are worth a ****... but here goes a little more in-depth explanation
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...VALVE
The "Valve assy" located in the engine bay on the firewall (two hoses right nearby coming from engine) may be either worn or not closing all the way.
Slide heat to open, check the position of the valve, slide it to closed, check position then see if you can move it a little more in the same direction that it moved. If that gives you outside temp air then trace the cable that goes from the valve to the slide lever. There's little clips that hold the cable in place at the end points that may have broken or the cable may have shifted.
You may only need to clean/lube (read, wd40 the hell out of) the valve.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interior fan only blows hot air... (amdxmania)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amdxmania &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, if outside temperature is high and air is hot, no matter what you do it won't be cold other than turning a/c on- haha
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the slider is an air mixture controller. It takes both from the heater and the outside. So even on a cold day, if the valve is sticky or doesnt close all the way. It can be mixing mostly warm air. Making the cold very mild.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interior fan only blows hot air... (Vero)

The slider moves the valve inside the engine bay... that valve allows coolant from the engine into the heater core... the fan is always blowing through the heater core... the only thing that changes where the air is coming from is the recirculate feature which blocks off outside air from entering the system...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine does the same thing... even when im goin like 80mph constant..

it sucks im gettin a/c back in this year heh
Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, that's exactly what is going on. (or the cable could have a lot of play in it)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The slider moves the valve inside the engine bay... that valve allows coolant from the engine into the heater core... the fan is always blowing through the heater core... the only thing that changes where the air is coming from is the recirculate feature which blocks off outside air from entering the system... </TD></TR></TABLE>