Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 05:00 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer

Ok I have tried searching on this subject but haven't found anything that can help me. This is what I need to do, I need to basically run my car from a laptop as apposed to the P30 that is in there. I know at first I will need to laptop to be piggy back style until I get it all programmed and **** but once that is done the P30 will come out. Has anyone done this or do you know where I could get a harness for this mod? If you don't know WTF I'm talking about please don't post here. Your help is appreciated greatly. BTW I WILL NOT spend huge money on the AEM system and I don't want to buy Hondata, I want the laptop to serve that functionality. Happy tuning!!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (HondaFanatic708)

I just found this today: http://www.ecucontrol.com/ . It interfaces with your ECU to display current operating conditions, and I think it datalogs, but you will have to tune the ECU by other means.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (copperfox)

I use AutoEngenuity, but I'll have to check. I don't think it can interface with OBDI setups.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:01 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (Ricey McRicerton)

I did some more searching on the web and found this, Uberdata if anyone's heard of it. I have heard of it but didn't know it was this. http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/
Old 03-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (HondaFanatic708)

<laughs>

No, nobody on here has heard of Uberdata.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">&lt;laughs&gt;

No, nobody on here has heard of Uberdata. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's an ubersecret among everyone in the FI forums..
Old 03-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (Nameless RB26)

http://www.pgmfi.org

Search it until your eyes bleed.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (turbogixxer)

Uberdata is the same as Hondata but cheaper.

You want to use your computer to program your ecu for what you want right? Uberdata with a built in burner rom is the way to go. But whoever sets up your ecu for all this, make sure they teach you how to use it or make sure theres a tuner around you that knows how.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have uberdata on my car and i love it. goto the link above and like he said read until your eyes bleed,lol. there is so much info on that site it is rediculus. but it is just about the same as hondata but it's free and cheaper to tune. a guy in my area said he would street tune my car for $50. i have even had people burn me chips of .bins i email them.
but about your wanting to run your computer from your laptop, uberdata will log but you still need a OBD1 ecu.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uberdata is the same as Hondata but cheaper. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I tune both. Both have there strong and weak points. Two different person(s) will go with either one.

I see this getting into a Uberdata vs Hondata thread.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I tune both. Both have there strong and weak points. Two different person(s) will go with either one.

I see this getting into a Uberdata vs Hondata thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i really hope it isn't another one of those , sorry if it is.
i just never seen the point of paying more for the same thing you can get for alot cheaper.
but then again i never used hondata (because there prices scared me away), but what is better with hondata?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:53 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Theoretically, a Hondata tuner would be able to operate uberdata effectively, right?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (jeffsciv23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffsciv23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but what is better with hondata?</TD></TR></TABLE>

3d map view, 5 bar map, a/c and closed loop cut out, and small options. The datalogger is in a "better" format, so it is easier to read. Nothing crazy, but the small things add up.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

3d map view, 5 bar map, a/c and closed loop cut out, and small options. The datalogger is in a "better" format, so it is easier to read. Nothing crazy, but the small things add up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so woul dclosed loop cut out be the same as closed loop disable? and the MAP is only up to 3.5bar on uber. does hondata have full throttle launch settings and the ooption to enable it with the A/C button, or the option to use the CEL as a shift light?
the 3D view isn't worth $400.

are those the only differances?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theoretically, a Hondata tuner would be able to operate uberdata effectively, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, it really boils down to the tuner's skill. Like, my wideband can do everything that uberdata is "missing". Anyone can add and take fuel/timing, not every tuner knows how the motor will react to the changes. People are afraid to push uberdata/crome because it is free therefore it is "junk". You follow me?

Neptune, that is a different story. The code for that is freaking sweet.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just posted a write up on installing datalogging onto a OBDI ecu
Old 03-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interfacing a laptop with OBDI computer (jeffsciv23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffsciv23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so woul dclosed loop cut out be the same as closed loop disable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, closed loop disable will disable the closed loop (so the ECU will run on open loop all the time). Closed loop cutout will change the ecu from running closed loop to open loop at heavy load (low boost, building boost). Uberdata will still be on closed loop, therefore leaning the motor out. I believe they made a code for it, but it is only in beta.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffsciv23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and the MAP is only up to 3.5bar on uber.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It still is not 5 bar

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffsciv23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does hondata have full throttle launch settings and the ooption to enable it with the A/C button, or the option to use the CEL as a shift light?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, all of them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffsciv23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the 3D view isn't worth $400.

are those the only differances?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is differences, but people that like hondata will never like uberdata/crome, people that like uberdata/crome will not like hondata.

Remember, uberdata is a DIY EMS. That means you have to find answers to bugs, it is not "plug and play" like hondata is most of the time.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is differences, but people that like hondata will never like uberdata/crome, people that like uberdata/crome will not like hondata.

Remember, uberdata is a DIY EMS. That means you have to find answers to bugs, it is not "plug and play" like hondata is most of the time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i guess your right