Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Inter cooler or cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inter cooler or cold air intake

I want to buy a inter cooler for my car instead of a cold air intake, is this bad for the car because it is not turbo charged! Im assuming its bad let me know! Im new to all of this I just like the way the inter cooler looks as apposed to the cold air intake!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Inter cooler or cold air intake (Shaynepolevault)

bro i hope your not serious..
Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Inter cooler or cold air intake (94eh2)

wow, no you cannot have an intercooler hooked up to a non turbo car. Yeah its probable possible but really not worth it and people are gonna think you have a turbo and want to race you. -ricer
Old 11-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Inter cooler or cold air intake (Shaynepolevault)

Front mount intake

http://www.advancedjdmparts.co...16483

Old 11-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

omglolwtf
Old 11-03-2007, 04:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (instrument)

even that front mount intake is too ricy for me
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, be warned that you will be mocked for having the front mount intake pictured above. Commonly called an "interfooler".
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

will the front air intake suck up water is there a bypass valve you can get for it, if it will.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Where the wild things are in, NY, United States of America
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-03-2007, 04:57 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Shaynepolevault)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shaynepolevault &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will the front air intake suck up water is there a bypass valve you can get for it, if it will.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do u eventually plan on turbocharging ur car? if so dont even waste money on this ****

but look, 20$ for this cheap intake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

(plus 20 for S&H )
Old 11-03-2007, 05:02 PM
* B A N N E D *

im going to try and be serious for your sake

i don't know why

but after a turbo the intake air is about hundreds of degrees, an intercooler can take this back to somewhere around the outside temp, but never get it to the outside temp, it would take air from like 500 degrees to 200 degrees or something

you'd have a filter sucking in air from under your hood, then run it through an intercooler to get it about the temperature of the bottom of your engine bay, so the SAME temperature

then it would suck it into your engine, so you would achieve spending money, thats it

get a cold air intake, it'll bring the air in from outside the engine bay, then it wouldn't even have to cool it because nothing is making it hot, like a turbo

Old 11-03-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: (EGmikeH22)

" granny shifting not double clutchin like ya should ..." ...
Old 11-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGmikeH22)

lol, you can't be serious...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGmikeH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im going to try and be serious for your sake

i don't know why

but after a turbo the intake air is about hundreds of degrees, an intercooler can take this back to somewhere around the outside temp, but never get it to the outside temp, it would take air from like 500 degrees to 200 degrees or something

you'd have a filter sucking in air from under your hood, then run it through an intercooler to get it about the temperature of the bottom of your engine bay, so the SAME temperature

then it would suck it into your engine, so you would achieve spending money, thats it

get a cold air intake, it'll bring the air in from outside the engine bay, then it wouldn't even have to cool it because nothing is making it hot, like a turbo

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is from the thread you read that inspired you to post the same damn question.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stop. Read up on turbos.

You cannot use an intercooler on a naturally aspirated engine. An intercooler is used on forced inducted setups because the air heats up when it is compressed.

Without the intecooler, intake temps would get too hot causing detonation in high(er) boost applications.

It would be completely useless on a car without a turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heck ya you can, you just have to hook up a little fan from wal-mart on the other side of the intercooler. you'll be good..
Old 11-03-2007, 07:49 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (laziebun)

lol back in highschool when i crashed my turbod16z6 i fucked my charge pipe that went to the intercooler from the turbo..... so i took it off

and threw a filter on the end of the intercooler, then fixed the pipe in auto shop LOL
Old 11-03-2007, 08:03 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (suicide_shift)

I say buy it
Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

You made another thread asking the same question after its been answered but you know what...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say buy it </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 11-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (FastLife617)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shaynepolevault &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to buy a inter cooler for my car instead of a cold air intake, is this bad for the car because it is not turbo charged! Im assuming its bad let me know! Im new to all of this I just like the way the inter cooler looks as apposed to the cold air intake!</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a possibility in terms of a physical attachment sense. You CAN attach an intercooler to your car while it's naturally aspirated. Why isn't it more common then?

Due to the veins that the air travels through on an intercooler being small it decreases the amount of air that can go through it. It lowers PSI on a turbo application and naturally aspirated applications have negative PSI (vacuums), so you're cutting down an already negative number, you wind up with no power.

Sorry people on H-T are such bitches about it, but the simple fact is that it's inventive and half the people that are saying **** don't even know why it's not possible, it's basically a tool box full of people that are just hopping aboard the gravy train.

So in short, it's not possible because an intercooler's air veins are so small that they restrict air, this in turn would make your car run like ****. They do it on boosted apps too, but since you can simply up the boost, it's a null argument. On a boosted app it becomes warm air and no restriction (no intercooler) vs air restriction and cool air (intercooler) - the latter is the better of the two.

Inventive way, it won't work though. Even if it was possible intercoolers only cool incredibly hot air (air under pressure gains heat, chemistry 101) due to the turbo down to ambient (outside) temperature. They don't cool it anymore than how much it would be if it was just a cold air intake.

Instead of going with a cold air intake too, just go with a short ram. AEM's V2 scored a 12whp gain on a chevy cobalt super sport - that's a supercharged application - forced induction. The amount of power that a CAI gives on a naturally aspirated, low compression, non-aggressive fuel mapped engine is nowhere near worth its pricetag.

Go with a short ram intake instead.