Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Integra rear sway bar bushing mod for Civic

Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra rear sway bar bushing mod for Civic

I recently gathered components for adding an Integra rear sway bar to my 1996 Civic EX. I bought a junkyard 14mm Integra sway bar and the body mount brackets. I bought two new 99-2000 Civic Si rear sway links. I used the Acura body brackets by making a spacer, but I realized there is a problem mating the Honda links to the Acura bar. The Acura bar has big holes in the end designed for a different link, and the stud on the Civic link is not a proper fit. Since the Civic link already has a joint, bolting the stud into the rubber bushing on the sway bar just creates a ton of slop in the sway bar. You will have two moving sections instead of the precise socket on the Civic link bolted to the Acura bar. It looks like the Blox kit has an aluminum bushing designed to solve this issue. I chose to use the Civic links because I like the sealed tulip joints on the OE link. This was intended to be a stock looking, low bucks project. Total cost of the used bar, brackets and bushings was $87.50, shipping included. I used a steel spacer and some bolts from my hardware pile. I never toss anything without stripping all the hardware!

It really improves the handling. It feels like the opposite rear tire is really planted when making lane changes or torturing the carpoolees on that entrance cloverleaf!

Here's how I built a cheap bushing using off the shelf parts and minimal machine work. - Note, the sway link stud is 10mm, not 8mm, my mistake. 13/32" drill bit makes a hole slightly bigger than 10mm so it's a proper fit.
Attached Images          

Last edited by cheggie; 06-22-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Integra rear sway bar bushing mod for Civic

nice work
Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, I get the same problem with my teggy sway bar on my 1998 Honda Civic EX, I've replaced the end links at least 3 times, it keeps coming out of the rubber bushing. So where did you get these parts? The flanged bushing? and the steel pin? And what does the measurements mean? is the hole on the sway bar 3/4 in diameter? I think the 13/32 is close to the 10mm for the end link to fit.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just buy these:
https://www.asrparts.com/products/en...ant=9314235907
Old 08-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thanks. I saw these too from Googling, but the only thing that stopped me was that it said: OEM Honda/Acura 22-23mm Integra Type R
And the sway bar I have is a 13mm from an Integra 94-97 year. Not sure. The end-links are Blox. But I'll give these a try, hopefully ASR will RMA if these dont fit.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sinyce
Ok, thanks. I saw these too from Googling, but the only thing that stopped me was that it said: OEM Honda/Acura 22-23mm Integra Type R
And the sway bar I have is a 13mm from an Integra 94-97 year. Not sure. The end-links are Blox. But I'll give these a try, hopefully ASR will RMA if these dont fit.
the sway bar ends are the same size, it doesn't matter. Toss those Blox pieces of **** in the trash.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by cheggie
I recently gathered components for adding an Integra rear sway bar to my 1996 Civic EX. I bought a junkyard 14mm Integra sway bar and the body mount brackets. I bought two new 99-2000 Civic Si rear sway links. I used the Acura body brackets by making a spacer, but I realized there is a problem mating the Honda links to the Acura bar. The Acura bar has big holes in the end designed for a different link, and the stud on the Civic link is not a proper fit. Since the Civic link already has a joint, bolting the stud into the rubber bushing on the sway bar just creates a ton of slop in the sway bar. You will have two moving sections instead of the precise socket on the Civic link bolted to the Acura bar. It looks like the Blox kit has an aluminum bushing designed to solve this issue. I chose to use the Civic links because I like the sealed tulip joints on the OE link. This was intended to be a stock looking, low bucks project. Total cost of the used bar, brackets and bushings was $87.50, shipping included. I used a steel spacer and some bolts from my hardware pile. I never toss anything without stripping all the hardware!

It really improves the handling. It feels like the opposite rear tire is really planted when making lane changes or torturing the carpoolees on that entrance cloverleaf!

Here's how I built a cheap bushing using off the shelf parts and minimal machine work. - Note, the sway link stud is 10mm, not 8mm, my mistake. 13/32" drill bit makes a hole slightly bigger than 10mm so it's a proper fit.
Some quality problem solving displayed here.

Granted, there already are solutions available, but seeing someone go through the process of creating a quality solution from scratch is a nice change.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

98CivicDx - so I used your guideline and from that I knew the inside diameter was 13/32 which is very close to 10mm and the outside diameter is 3/4. Googled around on eBay and found these babies for $10, These are steel and exactly 13/32 ID, 3/4 OD by 1/4. Two of these fits perfectly snug inside after i C-Clamped them in the sway bar. Tossed the rubber bushing, but kept the Blox. Torqued them up, and hopefully its set it and forget it. Got 2 spares. Thanks man!! Good write up.